Octopath Traveller

Chat about anything you like, as long as it's games related.
One-armed dwarf
Location: L̜͙̮̖̘͇͌̇o̤̞̭͕͗̿̄ͭͩ̄̉n̝̜̬̩͢d҉͖̥̣̙̹͚̭ơ̾͑̿̽̅n̫̜̘͉̰͍̄ͥ̍̾̇̽

Octopath Traveller

Post by One-armed dwarf » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:22 pm

So this is out on Friday

In spite of reservations over stuff said about the narrative structure of the game I'm kind of excited. I don't know a lot except it's a callback to 16bit Final Fantasy. So maybe it has a job system or at least very clearly demarcated roles for characters rather than the very customisable blank slates of a lot of modern JRPG.

The depth of field gives it this weird diorama effect. Dumb but lovely

Not got a pre-order cause I'm all digital these days.

You can start playing right now with the demo and the three hours progress gets carried into the main game, so it's a fine time to download it.

(Also will Nintendo take their finger out and finally just release their SNES JRPGs on Switch store? They are some of the best and it's really standing out now that Switch has gotten hacked for homebrew.)
🌚

Maryokutai

Re: Octopath Traveller

Post by Maryokutai » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:03 pm

This has been a most wanted for me for a long time now and I have the CE on pre-order but I'm still going to finish some games I currently have in progress before jumping in (mostly just Ys because it's the same genre, more or less).

I don't know what to expect really. The eight different storylines seem a bit disappointing, particularly as there doesn't seem to be any kind of narrative teamwork in place. That said if everything else is really good I'll be able to look past this. I think Dragon Quest IX (?) was a bit like that as well and it turned out pretty good.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:20 pm

Octopath Traveler PREVIEW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKExa6ZEJIE

No story spoilers.
"If your name is on the building where you work you're rich"
"If your name is on your desk you're middle class"
"If your name is on your shirt your f####ing poor"

Rich Hall.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:04 pm

I’ve got the CE of this game ordered and I don’t know why. I genuinely could not care less about it.

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:51 pm

Cancel your preorder and wait for the embargo to pass. Wait for reviews

Maybe read this also https://kotaku.com/how-octopath-travele ... 1827478495
🌚

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:15 am

I’m actually taking this advice. I’m supposed to change my bank card information so Nintendo can take the cash but you know what, I don’t care enough to do it

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:15 am

Octopath Traveler details battle jobs, secret jobs, and party chat

Read more at https://gematsu.com/2018/07/octopath-tr ... tc1pSeR.99
"If your name is on the building where you work you're rich"
"If your name is on your desk you're middle class"
"If your name is on your shirt your f####ing poor"

Rich Hall.

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:21 am

Game is out tomorrow and reviews out in a few hours. Today would probably be the best time to start playing the demo cause it's basically like playing the game early at this point (can play full game for 3 hours is what the demo is).
🌚

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:32 pm

So confused by these Octopath reviews. Equal amounts of love and meh.

9.3 from IGN and recommended by Eurogamer but a downer review from Jason at Kotaku and alright write-up from Destructoid.

I got my hangups on the repetitive narrative structure stuff that's been mentioned, but how this whole thing has been designed sounds like it could jave a BOTW 'ignore the stuff that bores you' slant to its design so possibly it doesn't even matter that much.

It's like you can burn yourself out on BOTW if you start ticking off your quest log, but if you do what you want you find the flow and it gets really good.

I need new Switch stuff so I'll buy it I think.
🌚

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:35 pm

If it's like Zelda I'm going to like it after giving it three tries over the span of four months.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:00 pm

I’m doing what I never do and downloading the demo. Because I’m bored enough to investigate but really caring so little I’m not making a blind purchase

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:56 am

So I played a hour and a half of the demo. I picked Therion as my first character (Theif class) and it’s actually quite cool. I really like the vibe, the combat system is nice and simple, the music is very nice. It’s actually, on the face of it, a very nice, simple JRPG.

I played up past the first boss and went and found a second character. This is what I didn’t really like. The second character just joined my party for seemingly no reason. And I managed to skip her first chapter, just to see if you could. It looks like it but I think, not 100%, that your level carries from character to character. So it may be worth doing all the chapter ones just to get the levels up so you aren’t road locked by the chapter 2’s.This I get, and as long as the rest of the stories are as pleasant as this I wouldn’t mind playing more of them, but I really, really don’t like the way characters join your party for no reason. Maybe it will reveal itself why if Imactuallynplay this other character’s chapter 1, but I would take a forced reason over no reason at all.

I don’t know. I think I will buy this. It doesn’t seem particularly amazing in anyway but it is the kind of JRPG that I like. Nice simple, straight forward progression. Equipping stronger equipment when you get it. Nice look and presentation. It is cool.

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:56 am

Maybe I'm crazy but the way people describe the chapter progression reminds me of Assassin's Creed 1.

It's not really the same thing, but just the structure of it just reminds me of it. The way you go into the districts and it's the same procedure over and over to unlock the main 'meat' of the game.

I am going to buy digital but I really should just start with the demo as well I think cause it's the same thing. It's kind of crazy that they do a demo like that I think, does it work in their favour or can it cannibalise sales?
🌚

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:54 am

DWARF FORGET THIS SHIT CAPTAIN TOAD IS OUUUUUUUTTTT

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:56 am

I don't like Mario games
🌚