Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon

Chat about anything you like, as long as it's games related.
maf-me-quick

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon

Post by maf-me-quick » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:02 pm

Did I say Hollow Knight’s jump was a bit stiff? Holy fucking shit in this game you can not move your character in the air if they were not already moving when you jumped.

I have never played any of the old Castlevania games so I assume it was always like this, but man, oh, man, this game is hard. I got to level 3 and I’ve already rage quit twice.

Why do I keep running into super bullshit games? Can’t I just play something that is nice and gentle and doesn’t feel like it wants to strangle me?

maf-me-quick

Re: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon

Post by maf-me-quick » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:20 pm

This sprite is doing a lot for this game A) Because it’s easily the best character and B) That shade of purple reminds me of Donatello from the NES game

Other than that, I don’t know. This game is not really that difficult. I mean I managed to beat the bosses mostly first time, of not in one life than two. But some of these levels feel like they have mega amounts of bullshit in them.

I guess on some level it’s fair because you can bullshit the game back by hitting enemies through walls and floors and stuff before they can even reach you. And that I like. But I just had rage quit number 3 on stage 6 or 7 or something because there are platforms with spinning saws on them, but also bats that knock you off into pits and with this jump it’s like come on, man. What do you expect me to do.

I don’t know. I this might tickle some people in the right way if you have nostalgia for this, because I think it is quite cool and has some nice qualities to it, but it might just not be for me because it makes me very mad very easily.

I was watching a thing on YT earlier where someone said that health bars in video games are like mistake meters. And when you make a mistake and lose health that’s fine, but it’s when you lose health with no mistake or fault on your part where it makes you mad and call bullshit. And that’s what this game does, I think. That’s why on bosses it’s like whatever I learn what I need to do. And I want to say for the most part the levels the, selves actually seem fine and well made and stuff, but there are certain sections where you get smacked around by bullshit and it’s like what do you want from me?

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:56 pm

Beat the game on normal difficulty. This game is actually really good and fun when it isn’t being a dick. There’s lots of secrets to it as well, it seems. Lots of alternate paths, different modes, I’m guessing different endings.

I’m not sure how much of it I’ll see but I’ll play around with it a little more see what I can figure out

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:17 pm

SPOILERS I GUESS

So I managed to beat the game on ‘Nightmare model which unlocks after normal difficulty. You think it would be a hard mode, and maybe even in the loosest of definitions it is, because the main character dies in play through one. And then in play through two he is not there and can’t be used, and is also the New last boss. A pretty cool one as well, although I think the boss in play through one is better

The game also then does the Lords of Shadow thing where you see the main character but now it’s modern day :lol:

This game is cool, I like it a lot, actually.

The music in this game is pretty awesome as well.

Title theme https://youtu.be/5DJjhioIrao

Stage 8 https://youtu.be/nSb6-rEOaZ8

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:29 pm

I'd probably be all over this if I didn't hate the 8bit look so much. I think I said that already but it really is a shame. I can't get any enjoyment out of a game that has a screen resolution of 140p and 8 colours or something.

Yes, I know this was just a little by-product of the 'real' Bloodstained game so they obviously didn't have the budget for proper SotN or Rondo no Blood visuals.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:05 pm

I don’t know. It’s not ‘faithful’ 8-bit, if you know what I mean. Like those bosses look really crazy and cool. I’m also tired of pixel art, but I think I get tired of it when people give you old visuals with a new game. This really is throwback in almost all senses of the word, I don’t think you could do this game in any other art style.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:22 pm

Can she be my character of the year? She doesn’t really have personality but she can slide, whip, jump super high and throw scythes like boomerangs. That’s gotta count for something, right?

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:51 pm

The might have overdone the rose imagery but yeah, Myriam is cool. Reminds me of Shanoa a bit who was also a pretty cool character.