Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana

Chat about anything you like, as long as it's games related.
Blakey

Re: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana

Post by Blakey » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:02 pm

Maryokutai wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:29 am
You might be further along than I but I really don't see any Titanfall in this. If anything some stuff reminded me a bit of Metroid Prime 2 despite that game building its puzzles around different dimensions instead. Not going into big spoiler territory here though so let's leave it at that.

Also you totally need to spend some elixir to increase your SP bar!
I just had to google how to get the SP bar up, I assumed at some point in the story it would get increased :lol: but obviously not. So it’s spirit elixirs I need right?
MFGamers Twitter
“Nationalism is an infantile thing. It is the measles of mankind.” - Albert Einstein

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:51 pm

Yeah, they increase it in steps of 10% but you can just use them right away as it affects the entire party.

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:15 pm

As much as I like this I think combat is way too limited. You're essentially doing the same thing all the time no matter if you're fighting level 5 butterflies or bosses at the current level. Hit them will all you got, exploit possible weaknesses, use skills with strong break ratings until they break, use skills with high damage after break and use your special (if available) at the very end of their break phase to maximize damage. There are no support skills so healing and buffing is a matter of eating food or drinking potions midfight. There's also no big difference between character's playstyles. Some are a bit faster than others and some have a bit more range but there's no real distance fighter in the game, no support class and so on. It's fun and responsive but rather shallow all things considered. It doesn't break the game by any means but a bit more stuff to worry about would have been welcome.

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:15 pm

I do get what you mean in a way, I mean you do have the three combat styles and there’s not any new ones introduced throughout along with the lack of combos.

So you’re left getting new skills which do change up your move set but not much else. But you know what, as shallow as it is it’s still damn fun. I still find it satisfying slaughtering all sorts of enemies, I’m not particularly good at it but when I get a break, guard break or dodge at the right time it feels great.

It’s nowhere near as in depth as some and pails in comparison to XC2’s peerless combat system but it’s fun enough and has just about as much action and strategy to it to make it exciting and satisfying enough for me to want to wipe out hordes of enemies rather than run away from them.
MFGamers Twitter
“Nationalism is an infantile thing. It is the measles of mankind.” - Albert Einstein

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:45 am

Xeno's battle system is pretty much the exact opposite. Barely any direct input and you basically just have to press a button whenever you need to exploit a weakness, activate a combo or depending on your setup when you need to heal someone. I honestly wish both games had a bit of each other in that regard as Xenoblade was too passive for me while Ys is just too straightforward.

It's particularly odd here in that, spoiler alert, during the second era where you're playing Dana solo she gains to ability to switch forms. It always feels like a step back when you switch to the present and are stuck with the same character. If every character had three forms (in the same way every character has one now) but still a specific role to fulfill (for example Adol being good against single enemies, Sahad having AOE attacks, Hummel longer range etc.) then I think it would give you a bit more freedom and also allow the designers to put in enemies with different attacks properties. Right now there are basically two types in there: those that shoot you and those that rush at you.

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:41 am

Yeah I definitely get what you mean although for me XC2's combat system is the pinnacle of JRPGs (of the very few that I've played) but yeah I definitely think this would benefit from the layers of strategy, variety of combos etc. that XC2 gave you for sure.

But yeah, it's fun and it does the job for me, any JRPG that makes me still want to engage with enemies after 40+ hours and not avoid them then that's job well done for me but yeah not exactly got a lot to compare it to, I'l take XC2 and this over Persona 5 by 5000% though that's for damn sure!

Also, who the f*ck said this was a short JRPG?! I'm 40 hours in and apparently I'm nowhere near the end. Admittedly I've been doing pretty much every side quest (including one that involved killing Raptor like primordials for an hour to get a rare drop) but daymn I expected this bad boy to be over by now.

Not that I mind it, it has been a hell of a ride and has been a genuinely incredible game so far, it's safe to say it has exceeded all my expectations so far.
MFGamers Twitter

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:40 pm

I'm about 44 hours in now, just reached Chapter 6.

THIS GAME GUYS. Jesus, it just keeps getting better and better as it goes on, some JRPGs tend to peter out or begin to get long in the tooth at this point (Persona 5 I'm looking at you) but this just keeps getting more intriguing, throwing more elaborate dungeons, enemies and puzzles at you and introducing you to new mysterious locales.

The story is just masterful, I know I've touched on it before but the whole duel-era stuff is incredibly cool and not something that I've seen done in an awful lot of games before, that duality of the story, how mysterious, intriguing and engaging it is just pulls you in deeper and deeper, you just want to get to the next story point to find out what the **** is going to happen next.

It's so incredibly addictive making sure you've got all the areas up to 100% discovered with all chests and harvest points collected along with discovering all the location points and what not, it appeals to my inner Ubisoft fan on almost every level. The island is such a cool place to explore with so many varied areas different from one another that it's a real delight as well. 

No idea how long I've got left but I would go so far as to say this is a masterpiece at this point.
MFGamers Twitter