Resident Evil 2

For the latest happenings in the world of videogames
One-armed dwarf

Resident Evil 2

Post by One-armed dwarf » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:32 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtxJtQa6VSw

How are people feeling about this? I came to 'classic RE' extremely late, played them all on PS3 in about 2011.

RE2 was definitely the best one but I don't have that built in nostalgia so I'm a bit separated from all of this.

I think the tone they have struck in that trailer seems like the right way to go. A bit cornball but with the same kind of horror and gore which you would expect if the original game was built today.

The gameplay is OTS but I think REVII shows you can have free-aim and ammo conservation in the same game, so it might not be so action based really.

It seems that they're giving people exactly what they want here except I know there are some who really really want fixed camera but that seems anachronistic. Especially if VII can do the survival horror thing with FPS.

BTW that trailer above is not the same as they showed at E3, some bits of gameplay in it

One-armed dwarf

Re: Resident Evil 2

Post by One-armed dwarf » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:56 am

Considering the massive asset reuse in Resident Evil 3 they could literally remake that one as well and release it as DLC for this.

It's practically an expansion by modern standards.

*OneTwo*

Post by *OneTwo* » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:00 am

One-armed dwarf wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:32 am

How are people feeling about this? I came to 'classic RE' extremely late, played them all on PS3 in about 2011.
Depends. That trailer for a start it looks like a proper REmake not a graphical overhaul. So it begs the question of how it will play. Resi 2 is up there with 4 for the best one for me. I regard it that high.

We've had this discussion before about remakes and if you're going to completely change it then it loses some of that charm. People loved the original REmake. Still enjoyable now. As much as I liked REVII it didn't really play like classic Resi. Some bits here and there. 2 onwards it leaned more into action. Am I still going to get my Uzi, Shotguns, grenade launcher, magnum etc etc

I dunno. Unlike VII this has loads of enemy encounters and enemy types. So I'm kind of keen to see how it plays out. Definite day one for me.

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:03 am

It might lose that charm but I feel a remake becomes less interesting if it tries to be the same thing. I think REmake is a big of an exception but I put a lot of that down to how corny that original version was.

I think this version becomes more interesting when you wonder at how the environment will be designed in it. You can now see what's in front of you but I bet you still get caught up from behind a lot and get stuck in tight spaces like corridors and stairwells.

The lighting is very REVII here and there's a good chance you will straight up not see shit that's in front of you. I feel a lot of these cool new things would be lost by a repeat of the original

DifferentClass

Post by DifferentClass » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:07 am

What we know as Resident Evil 3 was meant to be a kind of expansion at the time. But because Capcom owed Sony a "Resident Evil 3" they gave it the title of a full sequel. Code Veronica is the actual third entry.

I want to see more of the game. I'm worried it may be the result of too much of fan feedback. Giving it Resident Evil 4 style gameplay but still have it paced and mapped out like RE2 is really redundant. Having that gameplay and not having more open areas for crowd control really misses the point of what makes both of these games what they are.

I really think listening to the fans is up there as one of the worst things you can do.

*OneTwo*

Post by *OneTwo* » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:16 am

One-armed dwarf wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:03 am
It might lose that charm but I feel a remake becomes less interesting if it tries to be the same thing. I think REmake is a big of an exception but I put a lot of that down to how corny that original version was.
Thing is you run the risk of tarnishing the game a bit and it leaves a sour taste, if it doesn't go well trying to totally remake it. With their track record that's entirely possible. A simple REmake keeps what it was, what was loved about the game whilst allowing some quality of life improvements with a visual and sound upgrade.

When I think if remaking a classic, in my mind it's keeping it as faithful as possible. Bring it forward but keep what it was. If I want to change it up, experiment with today's tools, then do a sequel job. Resi2: Aftermath 😅

Perhaps it's just me. But if they f*ck this up I'm banning them from any other remakes 🤬

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:20 am

I loved the original but hate this constant stream of remakes & remasters that has plagued this generation of consoles.

I do wonder if the OTS view can switch to first person view to support PSVR?

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:23 am

DifferentClass wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:07 am
What we know as Resident Evil 3 was meant to be a kind of expansion at the time. But because Capcom owed Sony a "Resident Evil 3" they gave it the title of a full sequel. Code Veronica is the actual third entry.

I want to see more of the game. I'm worried it may be the result of too much of fan feedback. Giving it Resident Evil 4 style gameplay but still have it paced and mapped out like RE2 is really redundant. Having that gameplay and not having more open areas for crowd control really misses the point of what makes both of these games what they are.

I really think listening to the fans is up there as one of the worst things you can do.
I think they know what they're doing tbh. The most vocal of fans have been asking for fixed camera angles so I don't think it's that really.

That said WRT what Shiny said there is an awful plundering of millennial nostalgia this gen it does feel like. The stuff that's come out of it has been almost all good I think but I do wonder if we really needed a Shadow of the Colossus remake or PS4 Crash. They are the same games but just with today's graphics.

RE2 at least is a whole new implementation so it stands by itself. The old one remains a unique thing and the new one gives a whole new angle. I genuinely feel like people will forget all about the Bluepoint games version of Shadow in time. If it's not happening already. These kind of slavish updates are fun for a brief moment before they vanish in the reflection of the thing they are paying tribute to.

*OneTwo*

Post by *OneTwo* » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:01 pm

The more I watch the reveal the more I need this game 😁

regemond

Post by regemond » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:05 pm

shinymcshine wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:20 am
I loved the original but hate this constant stream of remakes & remasters that has plagued this generation of consoles.
I think this is one of the few that's a bit different though. It's not like they're just uprezzing the textures and asking for £30-40, they're remaking it from the ground up with a whole new engine. Plus, fans have been crying out for this since REmake came out in... *checks Google* Jesus, 2002! People have been asking for a remake of this game before remakes were even a thing. It's the one time where I can hold my hands up and say 'do your thing Capcom' without judging their shitty, ahem, controversial business decisions.

*OneTwo*

Post by *OneTwo* » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:02 pm

I wanted a remaster of 2 like RE got. Updated so I can display it proud on my lovely HD screen.

There's a mismatch between people wanting their beloved game remastered and updated, over one which is completely remade.

I'm still down for both as this doesn't replace my need and love of a remastered RE2. I view this game as a direction I'd like the series to go if it does play similar to VII, and has the action and enemy variety of the original RE2.

Mmmmm 😍

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:46 pm

For me, some of the hook of those early RE games was the peril that combat was clunky, ammo was limited, the knife was pathetic, and in some areas avoidance was key.

Now I enjoyed the change of emphasis that RE4 brought, but if RE2 goes down that route too (with greater emphasis on shooting) then it becomes a significantly different game than it ever was (in my experience).

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:26 pm

Off screen gameplay.

https://youtu.be/xg44Ns7mjw8

I only played RE2 once but I'm pretty sure that's the same map layout for the police station. Like I recognise the places Leon is in.

Wondering if this will be a very short game as well. Or will the scenario become very different later

Better quality https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPdW-WZCnUY
Last edited by One-armed dwarf on Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:31 pm

Also that footage is really really violent in a way that surprised me