DOOM: Eternal |OT| Welcome to Hell (on earth)

For the latest happenings in the world of videogames
Blakey

DOOM: Eternal |OT| Welcome to Hell (on earth)

Post by Blakey » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:57 pm

MFGamers Twitter
“Nationalism is an infantile thing. It is the measles of mankind.” - Albert Einstein

maf-me-quick

Re: DOOM: Eternal |OT| Welcome to Hell (on earth)

Post by maf-me-quick » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:08 am

https://youtu.be/sGSMoMtPmbI

30 minute stage demo. Looks fucking awesome. Actually can’t quite understate how good I think this looks. Right to the top of the anticipated list

One-armed dwarf
Location: L̜͙̮̖̘͇͌̇o̤̞̭͕͗̿̄ͭͩ̄̉n̝̜̬̩͢d҉͖̥̣̙̹͚̭ơ̾͑̿̽̅n̫̜̘͉̰͍̄ͥ̍̾̇̽

Post by One-armed dwarf » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:39 am

I've only started watching it now but I find it hilarious how a terrible Doom comic becoming a meme wrapped it's way back into the main series

🌚

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:20 am

Wow that looked really good.

I was looking up my old comments on DOOM 2016 and a thing I found myself saying was that the way it pushed you into using the other weapons and not just leaning on vanilla shotgun X gave the combat a variety that wasn't a million miles away from a DMC game. Like not in terms of combos and stuff but pressuring you to actually learn to play and not just stomp your way through using whatever. But you're still shooting dudes and jumping around on platforms and stuff. But here now they've added enemy grappling hooks and air-dashes and dodges so it's even closer to that kind of thing I was describing (how long until someone makes a crazy video exploiting the chain grab over and over for infinite air, unless there's a cooldown meter that I didn't notice). Also now the melee looks like more than just contextual executions, you've got some God of War style punching at them to weaken them down type stuff.

DOOM 2016 was so good, I need to replay it now I think.

Got to say tho the midpoint of the presentation got really weird when they were talking about DOOM lore and environmental story-telling. Right around the point they showed off an invasion system. Sounds very Dark Souls in a way that's a bit confusing. I'm not sure how much people care about the implied lore of DoomGuy and all that type stuff (tho I did enjoy finding the Icon of Sin from DOOM II in DOOM 2016, I guess that was supposed to be the main link back to old DOOM).
🌚

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:44 pm

When they showed that invasion stuff my first thought was “Well there goes the plat” lol

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:59 pm

I think also a big part of the presentation that gets missed here is the impact of playing the game with headphones and the Mick Gordon soundtrack getting really loud in big firefights. I don't even like metal but that shit was amazing aurally energizing stuff in the first one.

I like how many really good games are coming out now which are just about getting good at hitting things in a massive variety of violent ways. Not just 'press A to awesome' type stuff like the last gen. Games are really good now.
🌚

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:04 pm

Also I'm trying to remember the demon's name, but that one guy who shows up at the end there when Doom Guy pulls out his lightsaber greatsword is the one guy I was like 'where the fuk is he' when playing DOOM 2016. I think he's called Primeval and he summons enemies and teleports. They had an enemy similar to that in DOOM 2016, but that particular enemy right there with that very iconic pose was the most difficult thing you fought in old DOOM, you see that fucker and it's like 'oh fuk'

edit: Arch-Vile

🌚

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:11 pm

Maybe my memory isn’t right but I always felt like Doom was a bit more acting aggressive than it really was. Action never was quite fast enough or hard enough or pushy enough. The only reason the game even had bits of difficulty for me was getting the sub objectives and skill shots and stuff. If I was playing the game normal and was using what I wanted when I wanted with no specificity I would of fucked that whole thing up blindfolded.

What I like about the look of this is the dash and chain jump, although a bit gimmicky, I think will help speed the game up more and create more opportunities for bigger open areas with more going on. Doom needs to make me feel more on the edge of control instead of completely in control and I think adding in aerial stuff faster moving options will do that

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:41 pm

I cannot fucking wait for this, I want it inside me.

Watching that gameplay video and hearing that soundtrack just made me think even more fondly of Doom 2016 than I gave it credit for at the time.
MFGamers Twitter
“Nationalism is an infantile thing. It is the measles of mankind.” - Albert Einstein

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:54 am

Secret to enjoying DOOM is playing on a proper difficulty, turn the lights out like and dim the curtains like a slob and play with headphones 8)

Hell is where it really kicks off, some great action and the guitars get so fucking loud.

Is DOOM a deboot btw? I still can't decide if it's the same DoomGuy as the 90s games. ID are apparently going all in on the lore now so maybe they'll answer that :?
🌚

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:57 am

It is the same guy from Doom 1 and 2 is my understanding. They acted like 3 never happened.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:58 am

I think the lore in the game references those games 🤔

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:00 am

See it's just like Devil May Cry they just pretend the bad ones didn't happen :)
🌚

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:02 am

Except with DMC they got it back to front

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:42 pm

I don’t get the hate for DOOM 3, it is a departure from the formula for sure but to this day is one of the scariest games I’ve played, the whole mechanic where you can only hold your torch or gun was ingenious.

So many times I went through a doorway and looked into a dark corner only to switch to my torch and a Demon jump out on me, fucking terrifying, I couldn’t finish it :oops:

I was younger then to be fair.
MFGamers Twitter