Morrowind (The Old One)

Chat about anything you like, as long as it's games related.
maf-me-quick

Morrowind (The Old One)

Post by maf-me-quick » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:35 pm

I don’t know how long of a thread this will be because I’m not sure how much of this game I can put up with. But I also didn’t want to pollute Currently Playing so, carrying on from that

I found the guy who killed the tax collector and ended up having the stupidest fight known to man. So unlike new Bethesda games NPC’s don’t follow you out of there houses or dungeons. So I walked into this guy’s house and went “You’re the murderer!”

And he was like “Yeah, and?”

And I was like “I’m turning you in, dude.”

He says “Then I’m a kill you too”

So I left the house and he just stayed there and I went and talked to the guy who asked me to find the murderer and was like “I found the murderer!”

And he was like “Yeah, and?”

I was liked “You are a law person. Go arrest him?”

And he was like “No, I said deal with him. Not find him and I’ll deal with him. Yes?”

And I’m like “Really, dude?”

So I went back to the murderer’s house and he was like “You again! I’ve been waiting for you”

So he’s punching me and I’m swinging my bat with nails in around and we are clearly the worst fighters in ALL OF MORROWIND because neither of us can even really hit each other. He has the advantage though because I was on half health and everytime I swing and miss with my blunt weapon my stamina goes down. Eventually he starts hitting me and I start falling over and I’m like what is going on? Turns out if you’re stamina bar is empty and you get punched in the face you hit the deck. So I had to, and I kid you not, had to leave the house and stand outside until my stamina came back. Go back inside and pick up where we left off. Thankfully it seems like enemies don’t regain there health.

Rinse and repeat 2 more times and I’ve almost finally killed him. I left the house again to regain punch meter and realised that there is a time lapse button. So I just fast forwarded 2 hours went back in and the 3rd time killed him.

What was really funny is everytime I stepped outside to catch my breath there were guards with torches roaming around and one was just standing there the whole time asking “How’s it going?” So this guard essentially stood outside for 3 hours and watched me go in and out of this house and attempt to stop a killer and didn’t cross he’s mind to intervene and any given point. After it was over I went to the law guy and told I’m I killed the guy. He gave me 500gold for it Which was pretty nice. What was nicer is I realised that I now have a free house, basically. And I can use that bed to regain health. Yay!

I then went wandering around the area and tried to find this secret hideout which this guard asked me to find but instead I just ended up swimming around the surrounding water and dying a couple times to the local fish.

It is going to take me some time to save Morrowind, I think.

shinymcshine

Re: Morrowind (The Old One)

Post by shinymcshine » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:17 pm

Mmm.

You know out of all the ES games I've played (Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion & Skyrim (with a small dalliance with Arena)) I never really warmed to Morrowind for some reason, despite playing through it and the couple of expansion packs.

Sly Reflex

Post by Sly Reflex » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:33 am

Your stamina effects how easy it is to convince people too. You can't sweet talk someone when you're covered in sweat. If you have to threaten someone do it with your weapon drawn, it has a higher chance of going through. Wear lighter armour in areas where you might be talking to folks a lot, it'll mean you can walk about more without getting tired.

Be careful what you pick up, it's very easy to steal stuff unintentionally.

I love Morrowind, it really did lay the foundations of how to build those open world RPG's. I want them to go back to being a bit more complicated, as much as I love Skyrim it's nowhere near as deep as the previous games. A dummy could play it and muddle through.

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:46 am

This is just one of those games where you need to spend a solid 6 or 7 hours going 'wtf is this even' and walk around talking to people and trying to find out what you can do realistically. You definitely can't jump right in.

It's not a gentle power trip like Oblivion and Skyrim, it's a proper dice-rolling RPG.

They should give this a proper re-release. A console and PC remaster at 60fps. Even better if it had the option of keyboard and mouse input on console (some games do this, like FFXIV. PC and PS4 are identical to each other with different optimised interfaces depending on your choice of input).

Also they can give it some modern draw distance options. The 'fog' really doesn't convince, it's not Silent Hill.

Also VR. Cause Morrowind is kind of right in the ballpark of where VR visuals are right now so it's a decent fit. Just roaming around Vvardenfell or however you spell it reading lore and learning the history of the region.

Balmora is a cool area when you get to it. A lot of the towns here are bigger than in Skyrim or Oblivion (exception maybe for the Imperial Capital in Cyrodil)

big mean bunny

Post by big mean bunny » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:09 am

Oblivion feels dated now so I dread to think what this must be like.
Episode 14 now out 14th of Sept - Sega Mega drive £25 games challenge

Invert Y gaming podcast - the only way to play, news, chat and challenges, by gamers, for gamers.

http://invertypodcast.podomatic.com or Invert Y on iTunes

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:37 am

I don’t know how much of it I’ll play. Everytime I try the pushback from the mechanics are just too great. I keep being told I should take this insect train ride to this other place and I haven’t done that yet because I’m stubborn. But maybe I should just go there and see if I learn anything new because right now not only can I not really find anything to do but I’m also not learning anything about how the game works.

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:45 am

You should go to Balmora, that's the starter type area if I remember correctly.

You will be rudderless in this way for a long while with Morrowind, it's not like anything made today. Way more opaque. Journal entries instead of waypoints, that kind of late-90s/early-00s PC-RPG shit.

A whole lot of interrogating NPCs for info on where and what to do

Sly Reflex

Post by Sly Reflex » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:11 pm

Talking about the cities, I really like how you can just walk into them off the street. There was a mod on Nexus to make Skyrim the same, but when I tried it it caused a few issues so had to uninstall it. I love that they could do that though, it just felt so seamless for the time. Lots of NPC's walking about as well, except iirc none of them have anything important to say, they're just window dressing opposed to the way they went with more focused characters in the games post Morrowind.

If only we could have the best of both worlds. Maybe when TESVI lands sometimes in 2050 when they've done reselling Skyrim for the hundredth time.

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:24 am

Irish boyo Danny O'Dwyer talks about Elder Scrolls

https://youtu.be/QKn9yiLVlMM

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:20 am

People getting up and arms about ES6 logo is dumb. Firstly that game isn’t coming out until 2020 at least so it is too soon to announce it. There are so many games all the time I don’t have the brain space to seriously consider something that is potentially a whole other PlayStation away.

Also why does something like this need confirmation this early when we already knew it anyway? Like, oh, guess what that game that was one of the best selling games of all times, yeah guess what? They’re only making another one! Great. Now show the game. Because I already knew you were making it so show the thing I already knew about instead of confirming something I already knew about? No?

There was some cool stuff in that Bethesda conference yesterday but the Internet seems to be giving it a free pass

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:41 pm

So did maf die on the way to Balmora or something. 😥

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:56 pm

I bet he used the jump scroll.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:40 pm

I have not played a video game in like, 12 days. I messed around on the Switch a bit maybe in that time. But I have been doing 0 but viewing the world through the lens of the internet