The Nintendo Switch Thread

For the latest happenings in the world of videogames
maf-me-quick

Re: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Post by maf-me-quick » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:51 pm

Hollow Knight is real fucking good, dude. Actually I think you would like it a lot.

One-armed dwarf
Location: L̜͙̮̖̘͇͌̇o̤̞̭͕͗̿̄ͭͩ̄̉n̝̜̬̩͢d҉͖̥̣̙̹͚̭ơ̾͑̿̽̅n̫̜̘͉̰͍̄ͥ̍̾̇̽

Post by One-armed dwarf » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:02 pm

What is happening with Dark Souls Switch anyway?

They've missed the buzz of the initial release.
🌚

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:10 pm

Yeah, it's going to flop big time on Switch I fear.

Anyway, I vote for Mario Tennis. There's even a character without arms.

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:06 pm

Anyone reading about how Octopath is structured?

Sounds, hmmm..

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2018/07/06/octo ... fantasy-vi
So how does all this work? You start off with one of the eight characters, play through their Chapter 1, and then it’s up to you what you want to do next. You can either go around the world, recruiting the other seven characters by playing through their own Chapter 1s. Or you could grind for levels and try to do your main character’s Chapter 2 solo, which will probably take a while, because there are some hefty level gates.

[...]

For one, all of these chapters follow the same exact rhythm (cut-scene, explore town, go to dungeon, fight boss), so doing them all in a row is quite repetitive. But what feels strangest is that no matter how big your party is, the game will always act as if the protagonist of any given chapter is on their own. As you progress through each story, some of which are very interesting (Tressa’s is my favourite so far), that story’s hero will interact with a few NPCs, and that’s about it. It all feels very off-putting, and contributes to some structural problems that you’ll start to notice after playing for a while.
I'm a bit suspicious of this one cause it feels like they're banking on FFVI nostalgia a bit (first thing I thought when I saw the demo was "those shops have FFVI signs on them").
🌚

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:58 pm

Other previews are glowing, I’ll be super surprised if OT turns out bad in anyway.

It’s a GOTY contender.
MFGamers Twitter
“Nationalism is an infantile thing. It is the measles of mankind.” - Albert Einstein

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:02 pm

That's too early to call I think. Hard to know what this is yet beyond 16 bit nostalgia.

Also GoW has won it already anyway. 8)

Jason Schrier is talking about it on resetera
I have all the characters and am about 20 hours in, and there's no over-arching story (yet?). It's eight different stories. The characters only interact via one-on-one optional "banter" scenes, sort of like a Tales game.
Cynical molten hot take but I feel people are getting pulled into a hype vortex by the visuals and style alone.

An RPG where the party doesn't really interact sounds very sterile, even if it looks great and has solid systems
🌚

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:20 am

One-armed dwarf wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:02 pm
That's too early to call I think. Hard to know what this is yet beyond 16 bit nostalgia.

Also GoW has won it already anyway. 8)

Jason Schrier is talking about it on resetera
I have all the characters and am about 20 hours in, and there's no over-arching story (yet?). It's eight different stories. The characters only interact via one-on-one optional "banter" scenes, sort of like a Tales game.
Cynical molten hot take but I feel people are getting pulled into a hype vortex by the visuals and style alone.

An RPG where the party doesn't really interact sounds very sterile, even if it looks great and has solid systems
Jason Schrieier is a legend, but other previews have been glowing. I'm sure reviews will be the same, we'll have to see. I can understand your concerns a little more now at least.
MFGamers Twitter
“Nationalism is an infantile thing. It is the measles of mankind.” - Albert Einstein

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:14 am

Gamecube Emulator On Nintendo Switch Via Lakka Proof-Of-Concept Shown Off

Youtuber Mizumi recently uploaded a video of GameCube emulator Dolphin running on the Nintendo Switch via Lakka, a Linux OS which turns devices into retro gaming consoles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guamFaihXW0

The proof-of-concept video shows off Paper Mario and Super Smash Bros. Melee working on the Nintendo Switch via the above emulator, currently with less than 30 fps performance. The emulator also currently doesn’t work with detached Joy-Cons.
Treating men and women the same makes them different, and treating them differently makes them the same.

Dr. Stewart-Williams.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:36 pm

Today marks the launch of the Nintendo Switch version of The Lion’s Song, Mipumi Games’ episodic point-and-click adventure game. To celebrate, the indie developer released a brand new trailer for the game, highlighting each of the episodes included in the full season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dk5JRN9HaA

Gregor Eigner, CEO of Mipumi Games, also discussed bringing the adventure title to the hybrid system all at once. He also revealed that The Lion’s Song is a Nintendo Switch console exclusive, though the game is already available on PC and mobile devices:

“Our aim was to let players dive into the rich world of The Lion’s Song to experience four fascinating stories with very different endings. We are happy to be releasing the game on Nintendo Switch so that a whole new audience can discover this unique adventure and its protagonists, in a complete, console exclusive edition.”

For those of you who aren’t aware, The Lion’s Song is an episodic adventure game that follows artistic characters with exceptional minds in Austria during the early 1900s. The game is split into four episodes: Silence, Anthology, Derivation, and Closure. That being said, all episodes are being released as one package on Switch, not episodically like on PC.

Players can make many decisions in each episode of The Lion’s Song, and they can impact both earlier and latter episodes in the series.
Treating men and women the same makes them different, and treating them differently makes them the same.

Dr. Stewart-Williams.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:57 pm

First Nintendo Labo Creators Contest Winners Revealed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qm9YiL7psI

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2018/07/12/fi ... 2LIA0zA.99

Dr. Stewart-Williams.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:18 pm

This Nintendo Switch adapter promises Bluetooth audio support

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker ... rt-adapter

Dr. Stewart-Williams.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:27 pm

Nintendo has shared an overview trailer for Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker to celebrate its release for Nintendo 3DS and Switch.

The video highlights the game’s story and shows off some more gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8zQxSWaotc

With the Power Star stolen by the Monstrous Bird Wingo, the resourceful Captain Toad waddles through a variety of mazelike courses with many enemies on his way to save the day.

The video shows some off of the puzzles that players will face and how they can rotate the camera to seek out different secrets and paths to track down the Power Star hidden in every course.

Captain Toad also faces new courses that feature some of the kingdoms from Super Mario Odyssey as well as some different challenges.

Nintendo Switch has a two-player mode for the game.

Dr. Stewart-Williams.

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:07 pm

So Yokai Watch 4 looks nice:

I didn't really like the first one because the act of 'catching' Yo-Kai felt kind of random and it didn't have any questmarkers so you were running around a lot and getting lost. The premise and setting were great though so if they ever fixed those issues I could see myself picking this up. If it ever gets a translation of course.

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:21 pm

I’ve never been interested in one before because they were on 3DS but now this one is on Switch and looks fantastic I might be in.
MFGamers Twitter

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:08 pm

I really want to order Dead Cells but I fucking hate rogue likes what should I do?