Red Dead Redemption 2 |OT| Somebody poisoned the waterhole!

Chat about anything you like, as long as it's games related.
therealjaxon
Location: Starfish Island. Hey, wait a minute....starfish ha ha! - I get it!!

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 |OT| Somebody poisoned the waterhole!

Post by therealjaxon » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:12 am

7 gold bars in one hit possible 😁
Dead guy has the map in the Sheriffs jail, in a small burnt out town next to the camp 👍🏻

Meh, what bullshit. Only available to those who, pre ordered digital or bought the ultimate edition 😒
Twitter: XtherealjaxonX
Argue ye not with fanboys lest ye become a fanboy 8)

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:24 am

One-armed dwarf wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:05 am
My internet is bad

I tried it once with DMC3 (an awful game to play over internet but still). Got random frame stutters and very variable input lag.
Ah right yeah fair play.
MFGamers Twitter
“Nationalism is an infantile thing. It is the measles of mankind.” - Albert Einstein

bellow

Post by bellow » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:32 am

I have to admit I'm just mainlining this at the mo. I mean I'll still do bounty hunts if they come up, as that was an enjoyable side activity, but I'm sort of ignoring strangers and those little white dots that denote a random commotion of some sort.

It's made me a bit more relaxed about the game, but I'm aware I'm sort of playing it wrong. Then again, I don't ever do much side stuff in GTA games either.
Is it on the Switch?

therealjaxon

Post by therealjaxon » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:08 am

I killed that Mexican guy who challenges you to shooting competitions.
I was fed up with his gloating.
I may regret it but **** it.
I now wear his hat.
Its a nice hat.

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:56 am

Mainlining is tough I think. I feel like the main missions are a 6 or a 7 out of ten game in a ten out of ten world

But people say all the non main story stuff is a lot better
🌚

bellow

Post by bellow » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:08 am

But it's not like I haven't given the open world a go. I've hunted, investigated fires and outposts, bathed, drank, helped strangers. And I'll probably still do it a bit, but only in the context of becoming sidetracked during a bounty hunt (if they ever come back - they sort of disappeared during Ch. 3 and haven't poppet up on my map since).

But, for instance, hunting to get meat to the camp, or upgrading my holster, well, no - that type of stuff isn't engaging me at all. And if I'm gonna see the credits on this I'm going to have jib all the chaff and concentrate on the wheat.
Is it on the Switch?

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:18 am

Tbh, for me the hunting was its own reward. I brought those carcasses to Mr Pearson but it wasn't like a thing driving me or anything. Plus a lot of the satchels which aren't the original or the final one make Morgan look a bit too metro for my taste, so I didn't really use them. But I just felt like a lot of the promised openness that wasn't in the main missions was all in the hunting, the way the wildlife lives without your influencing them and you can see bears fishing for food and stuff. It's an excellent part of that game imo.

I think this game has some big structural issues. The main missions don't take advantage of the world. The morality system contradicts the great work done writing Morgan's character (who is definitely the best character R* has ever written and probably in any game this year). Some of these meticulous systems are sort of "smelling our own farts" tier of not really being in service of anything other than some immersion I suppose. The economy is all over the place. When the game starts giving you tons of cash and you buy all the upgrades you need for the camp and your guns you can basically make it through the rest of the game with pennies if need be.

I bet someone will make a PC mod which tunes the big payouts out of the game, making it more like the early stages where you have to skrimp and save a bit more

I actually only did one bounty mission. The second one paid 25$ and I was like 'eff that'. I think potentially as you progress through chapters the game locks you out of some earlier side stuff for narrative purposes so keep that in mind if you're a completionist I suppose.

I have this one dillemma now with Red Dead. I really love the Sadie Adler character, but I completely missed out on her arc in the first half of the game due to a glitch which took her out of the camp. And now I'm more mad than ever, I know I missed some shit and it would help explain where her character gets to.

If people haven't done the mission where you go with the girls and Uncle into Valentine yet then make a backup save and make sure not to fail the mission and retry at a checkpoint, because people reckon that's what triggers the bug which takes the Marstons and Adler out of the camp (and this is what R* recommends as well). People who have done this say the camp gets a lot more lively as you're not just fixing the interactions with these characters but also the interactions they themselves have with other characters.

Like what would Sadler have to say to Micah on chapter 2? I'll never know I guess *shrug*

Unless I start all over again... 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔
🌚

therealjaxon

Post by therealjaxon » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:55 am

I have no idea if Marston is in my camp or not.
Like I said, the storyline has mostly passed me by, I'm just doing my own thing.

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:42 pm

Tried some Ch 4 free roaming but I dunno. I feel I'm not finding the amazing experiences others have.

I bumped into those guys with the safe again. This time they said "feck off mister" and then blewed up. Then I took 40$.

I guess they got reincarnated 🤔. So I don't feel too bad about them blowing up in that case

Maybe the great stuff it's all in those stranger missions, but I've had my fill of the mission design in this game.

I guess that's it then, until I get a hold of RDR1 and look for Dutch or whatever that game is supposed to be about.
🌚

therealjaxon

Post by therealjaxon » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:47 pm

That's what I'm feeling about the 'main' missions - the world around is far more interesting.
I stumbled across a boarded up house and got in through an upstairs window, inside was an uhh...experimental monster??

And apparently you can find a vampire in Saint Denis........

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:20 pm

There's between 11 and 14 frames of input lag in RDR. This is a separate thing from the "weighty" controls, it's a performance measure of how quick the game is to start even registering your input .

Game runs at 30 so that seems a lot if I've got the right idea of what it means

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ea-mot ... etc.80420/

It's an EA animator who did the analysis

Naughty dog animator https://mobile.twitter.com/danlowlows/s ... 8712774661

He says it's probably not a deliberate choice.

How will RDR online be affected I wonder when you constantly the effect of hardware level input lag and people's network lag.
Last edited by One-armed dwarf on Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
🌚

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:24 pm

Thought input commands was usually measured in milliseconds and the like. Is this a different thing?

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:26 pm

maf-me-quick wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:24 pm
Thought input commands was usually measured in milliseconds and the like. Is this a different thing?
I dunno. But the naughty dog guy says something like ~800ms in the worst case.

Again this is a separate thing from the slow, weighty movement.
🌚

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:29 pm

That sounds like a lot. Not that I know anything but I’ve seen DF criticise games or rate them lower on other platforms for input lag times much shorter than that

But it might mean less in a game that is intentionally slower anyway?

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:33 pm

Weighty controls is more of a design choice, I think. Like character action games are usually very light on their feet and snappy you can go the other way with it and that not be a fault, just by design like I think this 100% is

But input lag might be a technical fault rather a design one. I bet it’s because the game is so animated/has so many animations which causes all the delays