Spiderman (PS4)

Chat about anything you like, as long as it's games related.
One-armed dwarf

Re: Spiderman (PS4)

Post by One-armed dwarf » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:35 am

Anything which is marketing/trailers is open season imo.

I beat this. I sort of feel it was predictable in its plot developments tho I'm interested where it will go in a sequel. I liked the characters but one in particular became less and less interesting and more of a cliche the further they went with them.

Insomniac surprised me though with the way they direct their characters in this. They aren't Naughty Dog but there's a lot more complexity here with some of the cast than I had imagined.

There's one thing I have to complain loudly about in spoiler talk though.

Fuk 🤐'trippy' sequences in games. omg, Psycho Mantis was 20 years ago. The Scarecrow was ten years ago. This isn't new or impressive anymore🤐 :evil:
🌚

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:29 am

Put another 8 hours in since my last post, 12 total.

It’s grown on me a little more since my last post but I’m still not exactly bowled over by it.

After all the collectibles dried up I’ve continued with the story missions a bit and they have managed to impress me quite a bit. I do find the Peter Parker segments a little dull at times but they’re fun enough and it is cool just role playing as Pete and taking in the vibe and scenery of places like the lab and FEAST centre. We never got to see the duality of Batman in the Arkham games so to see that duality with the character in this is very interesting to see and brings some much needed exposition.

The first MJ segment was way better than I was expecting as well. I thought it would be some janky-ass insta-death stealth section which would’ve been incredibly frustrating but it wasn’t like that at all and I loved every bit of it. I found the investigation intriguing and engaging and I really loved the sleuthing involved, probably one of my favourite elements of the game so far.

Some more side missions opened up which have been a little better as well where you research different environmental issues around the city. I expected these to be relatively rote but they’ve all been quite varied and fun. They’ve had me chasing pigeons with a spider-bot which was pretty mad and other mad bits and pieces with cellular phone waves and stuff so it’s been a nice distraction.

So yeah, it’s growing on me a little more but the traversal and combat are the only real standouts with the story missions showing some promise, more next week.
Last edited by Blakey on Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MFGamers Twitter
“Nationalism is an infantile thing. It is the measles of mankind.” - Albert Einstein

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:19 am

Best parts are when it asks you to fight dudes on multiple levels, where there's lots of movement and closing distance between stories of a skyscraper. Also the little moments in the story (the bigger moments you can predict a mile off).

I think though after beating it it's still a soft 7 for me, that's at 64% completion (whatever that means). I won't be doing the extra stuff and pigeon things but maybe I'll get the DLC.
🌚

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:56 am

As much as I wish it was higher I could see this game as a 7. It’s sort of fluctuates between a 7 and a 8 for me. The high points such as the characters and some story beats, some good jokes some good winks and nods, incredible graphics, animations, costumes. Lots of good story missions throughout and generally I think they get better and better the further it goes. There are some real wet dream Spider-Man moments in this especially around late game boss battles. The photo mode is really good although I think I would actually pay money for more features.

But a lot of these things aren’t happening all of the time and are very specific to points of the game. Generally this game really feels like a 7 because if like me you did every percent of it, most of the game is then spent doing largely inoffensive but really quite hum drum activities. Most of which are enlivened by the general mechanics of web swinging and traversal, but are still quite standard to this type of game and most of which aren’t even really Spider-Man specific. Just general open world activities that on the + side can be wrapped up quite quickly but on the - side just wish were more exciting instead of just a remixed version of stuff you do enough of in the main story anyway.

The recreation of the city is beautiful and it’s easy to get lost in. Even on the ground floor just look at all the effort and detail. Each ‘zone’ actually looks different and is visually and easily identifiable as a rich/poor/commercial/housing area. I’ve swung around that city dozens of times at this point looking for the secret photos and there is either no copy and paste or they hide it extremely well. It has such great uses of both art and technology on display, it’s just a shame they couldn’t find more inventive ways to either incorporate the city or more inventive things to do in it.

I don’t know. I like this game a whole lot and it’s high points are the highest points in gaming for me this year but kind of like the swinging itself, I guess, it’s up and down

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:50 pm

At the moment I'd definitely agree with the 7 (which is no derisory score in my books) but it could easily scrape up to an 8 if the story missions are good enough and excite me enough throughout, really can't see it reaching a 9 or 10 as of yet though.

Better than Arkham Knight, just as good as Arkham City but not quite as good as Arkham Asylum or Arkham Origins. It's SotTR that's pulling me in more at the moment.
MFGamers Twitter
“Nationalism is an infantile thing. It is the measles of mankind.” - Albert Einstein

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:12 pm

I prefer the combat to Arkham Asylum but Asylum had much better environment designs.

Spidey is still open world and Arkham A benefited from that tighter focus it had.

I wonder what they could do for Spidey 2 to keep NY feeling fresh. It's got to be the most used city for open world by now.
🌚

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:45 pm

Arkham Asylum is the best superhero game full stop. The only knock I have against it is the story goes off the rails at a certain point. Rocksteady makes a good game but none of their stories are any good at all. However in terms of making a video game they absolutely nailed it first time to the point where no one, not even them can beat their own effort.

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:13 pm

The boss fights were terrible. Spidey has much better bosses

Joker turned into fucking Hulk it was so dumb.
🌚

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:20 pm

I think for me the problem was the boss battles were all the same. It was all jump over charging guy, jump on there back, hit in head. There might be slight more variance than that but that’s the gist.

But it just gets so much right and to such a high standard. Awesome game.

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:10 am

So I see this is the Batman thread now. Okay.

Poison Ivy was a good concept as a boss but lacked a bit of polish in its execution. Generally speaking though that game was excellent. It's a Metroid game that's just as good as the original and outside of Rrise of the Tomb Raider I can't think of any other 3D game that managed to pull that off.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:46 pm

With great power comes great 2 weeks sales figures

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018 ... der-reboot

Almost beat GoW life time sales in two weeks and Tomb Raider sounds like it is struggling (I can’t post this in the TR thread or people will say I’m on a Witchhunt because I said the game would be ok :o )

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:04 pm

As expected though, Spider-Man as a franchise is just way stronger and there can only be one hype-game at a time.

The fact that SotTR only sold slightly better than Rise back then can only mean that PS4-only players have given priority to Spider-Man for the most part. TR usually has long legs though, I remember the reboot transforming from a disappointment to a success over the span of a couple of months for Square Enix.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:06 pm

Original TR was a success from the get go Square just had ridiculous sales expectations if I remember. Weren’t they after 10 million units or something and it sold 3? There are games out there that would be over the moon at selling 3 million copies

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:09 pm

That's why I said 'for Square Enix'. If they eventually were happy with it, it must mean at some point it reached their expectations which also means that TR usually sells a decent amount over a longer period of time.

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:11 pm

The secret truth is that the Tomb Raider games were all along just covert advertising for AMD's TressFX

It was never about making video games but making shiny looking hair that moved unrealistically but prettily. Like how Crysis was just about CPU-melting physics.
🌚