Mafia 3 |OT| Steamboat Willie: Now on PS+ for August.

Chat about anything you like, as long as it's games related.
maf-me-quick

Re: Mafia 3 |OT| Steamboat Willie: Now on PS+ for August.

Post by maf-me-quick » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:19 pm

“Press A to start”

But why, though?

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:31 pm

I feel like in terms of writing and characters and story and setting and soundtrack and style and all these kinds of things this game is kind of an ass kicker.

But in terms of gameplay and tech and creativity it is very budget. There was one character who’s forehead texture was smudged because it didn’t load or something. Odd.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:43 pm

Took down the first guy Ritchie Doucet at the fair ground. Man this game is a crying shame because it’s got a lot of things going for it all of which are held back by the gameplay being so clunky and lifeless and dull. Hoping the game isn’t too, too long.

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:48 pm

maf-me-quick wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:43 pm
Hoping the game isn’t too, too long.
Took me 34 hours, don't think I 100%d it but I got close.
MFGamers Twitter
“Nationalism is an infantile thing. It is the measles of mankind.” - Albert Einstein

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:57 pm

Blakey wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:48 pm
maf-me-quick wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:43 pm
Hoping the game isn’t too, too long.
Took me 34 hours, don't think I 100%d it but I got close.
Noting too that's mostly comprised of the same 30 mins of gameplay repeated 68 times.......

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:04 pm

Yeah, gets VERY repetitive at times :(
MFGamers Twitter
“Nationalism is an infantile thing. It is the measles of mankind.” - Albert Einstein

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:06 am

This game is so clunky. I find the buttons to be massively unresponsive. Not only do I think there is just an unforgivable delay between pressing the button and action happening on screen, but sometimes the game hitches on it’s own mechanics. Particularly with hand to hand stuff where if you transition from brutal attack to counter you can’t actually move at all. Like what?

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:26 am

maf-me-quick wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:06 am
Particularly with hand to hand stuff where if you transition from brutal attack to counter you can’t actually move at all. Like what?
Why are you even doing that?

Just hide, whistle, stealth kill, repeat

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:18 pm

Because, surprisingly, the enemy are really good at flanking so sometimes it just happens.

This game is seriously broken. I just went and spoke to Burke, a cutscene played, I left, driven around a bit noticing I disn’t have any missions, went back to Burke and the same cutscene is playing again!

This is just one of so many glitches I’ e Had in this game. I had a car chase earlier that was so fucked up I could of got a million hits on YT for it.

But, I really like this game. It is bad and in no way will I defend or apologise for it but it just has something that I really like.

regemond

Post by regemond » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:03 am

It nails the setting and soundtrack in a way that only GTA normally does.

Not saying anything else is comparable, but when they call Clay a n-bomb at the start of the first mission - and do it in a way that's designed to set the tone, not garner headlines - you know they're trying to do something special. I'm not saying they managed it, but they had a go at least!

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:51 pm

I just don’t remember the last time I saw a game as broken as this. Like open world games have jank for sure, but this game struggles, consistently with just the simplest of stuff. The amount of times the game parks my car for me but when I go to the car it is in the floor or stuck in a wall. Or the amount of times I’ve had to suicide to trigger the next mission. Or the amount of graphical glitches in it. Sometimes rain turns to boxes instead of raindrops. The game has soft locked on me like 9 times so far for a couple of seconds before fixing itself. I’ve had a mission on my menu for pretty much my entire game up to this point called “Could it be more simple” or something. Which is ironic because evertime I go to where it wants me to go the truck isn’t there to steal!

And on and on. Fascinated is a strong word, but I can’t help but wonder what the vision for this game was. This is purely my interpretation but I feel like the game director must of obsessed over the story and the characters and the soundtrack and all the parts where a game overlaps with a movie. But when it came to game design was like “Whatever” and just let he’s team sort it out. And they were all amateurs?

I don’t know pure speculation. But someone here is a story teller, but not a game developer, is my impression of this. The game isn’t even breaking any ground in terms of design. As far as open world crime sims go, this is as simple as it gets. Yet is so brazenly broken. Not even like fundamentally, just very openly. Like the game isn’t even the point of the game it is just a vehicle for someone to get their story out. So all that ‘game stuff’ is very secondary and poor and not well thought out and broken and simple and fascinating how something so obvious goes so wrong.

One-armed dwarf
Location: L̜͙̮̖̘͇͌̇o̤̞̭͕͗̿̄ͭͩ̄̉n̝̜̬̩͢d҉͖̥̣̙̹͚̭ơ̾͑̿̽̅n̫̜̘͉̰͍̄ͥ̍̾̇̽

Post by One-armed dwarf » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:58 pm

The worst I've played is Oblivion after a large number of quests have been done. When your save file gets big enough it breaks logic in a lot of other quests, like an important thieves guild questline where you're supposed to steal something that no longer exists due to broken code. This was before I had any kind of wireless internet connection that I could use to download a patch that might fix it, but come to think of it the PS3 version never even got patches if I recall.

Funny thing is I bought the PS3 version cause my unpatched 360 version wouldn't let me complete the Clavicus Vile quest. Sure sucked balls it did.

Even when you patch those games the large save files effect the performance in really dumb ways.
🌚

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:35 pm

Maf - he's comparing Mafia 3 to Oblivion, and being disparaging about the latter. Can you give him a ban for that ?

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:01 pm

All those in favour say ‘aye’

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:09 pm

maf-me-quick wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:01 pm
All those in favour say ‘aye’
aye