Bloodborne

Chat about anything you like, as long as it's games related.
maf-me-quick

Re: Bloodborne

Post by maf-me-quick » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:04 pm

You might have to follow a guide but you can actually skip some of the Chalice Dungeons and still get to the ‘final boss’ of them. I think there’s one you have to poke your head in to get an upgrade material or two but I’m sure there’s at least two or 3 of them you can skip. Unless you wanting to just do them all.

One-armed dwarf
Location: L̜͙̮̖̘͇͌̇o̤̞̭͕͗̿̄ͭͩ̄̉n̝̜̬̩͢d҉͖̥̣̙̹͚̭ơ̾͑̿̽̅n̫̜̘͉̰͍̄ͥ̍̾̇̽

Post by One-armed dwarf » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:09 pm

Chalice dungeons is like BloodBorne's Oblivion Gates, or something like that.

Only part of BloodBorne I've not bothered with, proc-gen dungeons does not play to it's strengths at all. I wanted to do an arcane build but for it to be viable you need to get the arc gems in the chalice dungeons, so I dunno. Just seems like boring work tbh.
🌚

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:13 pm

It’s fairly weak content compared to the main game but there are some cool bosses and remixed bosses in there. You do get very used to the repeated layouts which is a bit tiresome, but it also works to your advantage that you can start to move through them faster. As the rooms are repeated you’re not totally ‘blind’ so to speak.

Also a great way to level up. I did all the Chalice Dungeons before beating the final boss and by the time I got to him I was like level 140 something and steam rolled him and the thing after

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:15 pm

:idea: All I'mma say is there's so much better optional BB content

Chalice dungeons was a mistake

Also you missed a great final.boss fight :(

Never level past 100, that be my (stupid) rule. The bosses are still a real fight
🌚

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:23 pm

I don’t know how many hours total it took me to beat the game and the Chalice Dungeons But by the time I reached the end of that game I had my fill. I think Bloodbourne is really great but in retrospect I think my favourite part was the exploration and not the boss fights. I mean I think they’re cool but I definitely don’t want to do any of them again.

Also I’m not going to try put up a great defence for Chalice Dungeons because yes they are the weakest part of the game, but I think you might be under estimating them a bit. Yes they are what you think but they’re also more fun than you would think.

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:36 pm

The thing about those fights is almost every one of them is substantially easier on the second way through. Everyone remembers Gascoigne as being one of the toughest tests in the game, but when you go back you learn he's one of the easiest cause he's just a parry tutorial. The beast phase is a "get up close and time dodge/iframe" tutorial.

The fun then in returning is playing with those bosses once you already know their secrets but with different builds and weapons. Except Shadows of Yharnam, that boss is still bullshit.

The DLC comes closer to a kind of pure combat challenge that's tough at higher levels. I'd say it's comparable to Gehrman but tougher.

The bits I played of chalice felt like the leftovers that couldn't make it in the main game. I understand that the dungeons is the origin of all the lore stuff but trudging through them is so dull I'd rather remain ignorant bor watch a video
🌚

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:44 pm

I just don’t get into the combat in the same way. Like my whole strategy for the game was use Ludwig’s Holy Blade because it has fantastic range, power and straight line jab, and I find most enemies just kind of run at you in BB anyway so that solved most of the exploration stuff. And then for boss fights just use the Saw Cleaver because it’s faster and has vertical slash for higher targets/body parts. The worst thing for me in the game was NPC hunters they kind of don’t give a fuk about either of those strategies.

Not trying to say I disn’t enjoy the combat. But it was more there as business for the game to trade in where as the pleasure was the exploration and finding secrets and trying (failing) to work out the story and be surprised. The highlight moment of the game for me was where I entered a building with creaky floorboards, and my torch was getting caught in the drafts in the hallways and I was slowly opening doors and trying to cheat the purposefully blocked sight lines round corners and slowly stepping into something before WAAAGGGHHHH BIG FUCKING DOG

Almost like a horror game I think I preferred the thought of what was around the corner more than what was actually around the corner. Because like I said my fighting style was one of two strats that provided steady progress.

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:48 pm

Ludwig Holy Blade is like BloodBorne's drake sword or something like that. Or some weapon which is just a bit too obvious and easy

Like it's overpowered and is too well suited to a lot of the vanilla games combat encounters to the point it actively deincentives playing with other tools. Thankfully the DLC is full of weapons which are more than equal to it and are full of weird gimmicks, but it doesn't really fix things ready.

Also the DLC throws enemies that don't necessarily crumble in front of Ludwig sword, including Ludwig himself (cause duh I mean it's his fukin sword and you stole it, he ain't taking that shit now is he. He's too much of a proud horse guy)
🌚

Sly Reflex

Post by Sly Reflex » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:49 pm

We're following a guide just to get the weapon badge and the last boss. **** doing the rest of it, you must think I'm mad.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:56 pm

I forget what it’s called but the boss that summons the spider army is not too bad in the main game. But there’s a remixed version of it in the Chalice Dungeons and it was absolute murder for me. Easily top 5 difficult encounters in the game. I think that was the boss fight that started me summoning for help if I started losing too much because I just wanted to wrap it up

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:58 pm

Oh wow, a rematch with Rom huh. The worst boss in the main game do you say and it's way harder

And here you're trying to tell me the chalice dungeons ain't so bad I see your tricks
🌚

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:00 pm

Worse boss in the main game is the big mushroom guy. Or the thing after th mushroom guy which is actually my no.1 hardest boss in the game (Despite the time I actually beat it the fight was 2 minutes long)

Sly Reflex

Post by Sly Reflex » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:35 am

maf-me-quick wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:56 pm
I forget what it’s called but the boss that summons the spider army is not too bad in the main game. But there’s a remixed version of it in the Chalice Dungeons and it was absolute murder for me. Easily top 5 difficult encounters in the game. I think that was the boss fight that started me summoning for help if I started losing too much because I just wanted to wrap it up
Beat it first time. I was fucking hard though, the spiders sort of pile up and the area is so small the blasts and missiles Rom fires are a bit of a cunt to avoid. Did it in co-op though.
maf-me-quick wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:00 pm
Worse boss in the main game is the big mushroom guy. Or the thing after the mushroom guy which is actually my no.1 hardest boss in the game (Despite the time I actually beat it the fight was 2 minutes long)
Beat both of those first time as well. The Mushroom guy was a piece of piss. The Second boss down in the bottom is a bugger until you sit right in the crack of its arse and just wail on it and walk as it tries to face you. Did them both in co-op as well. I've helped out as a summons for both of those mobs and the one down past the window is the one that wrecks people, like I can't kill it fast enough because they get themselves wasted. Same with a lot of the bosses, I can barely save the host from themselves because they do stupid shit.

I think the boss I had the most issues with was Vicar Amelia. Or the Hunter that ends Eileens questline. That guy was a complete jerk. I didn't think I was ever going to beat him.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:35 am

Ironically I beat both of them first try. Or maybe hunter was second try. When I got to the hunter though I was way overlevelled. Somehow I managed to do each step in that quest correctly by accident except for the final bit to go kill the hunter. Had to use a guide to figure out where to go and get the weapon or weapon badge at the end of the game when I was super tough.

The mushroom boss I also beat first try but I think in terms of just being a bad boss fight it is the worst one in the game. It’s just silly, easy and not threatening

The thing after that was literally hours and hours of trying to do it and wasting all my blood vials over and over and all different types of strats I tried to use until somehow one lucky run did it two minutes. I never did figure out how to dodge or survive it’s laser attack. Even if I had an excellent run when the lasers came out they just finished me. I got RNG lucky when I finally did it because she was just ramping up to the laser strike just as I got the last hit in

Actually video’d that one here

https://youtu.be/JkVvJnWYIro

Sly Reflex

Post by Sly Reflex » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:58 pm

Fucking Amygdala, man. Why have you got to be an asshole?