last movie you watched

When the other folders just won't do!
Pious the chosen

Re: last movie you watched

Post by Pious the chosen » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:46 pm

Prince Charles is a very good cinema, my local Odeon is easier to get to during the working week though. I have no interest in The Room and I saw about half an hour of the first John Wick, I think? It was alright.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:20 pm

???

In the Matrix why do the machines hold people in tanks as batteries? Is it for the machines to feed off or to keep the matrix going? If it is the second one it seems paradoxical.

Pious the chosen

Post by Pious the chosen » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:44 pm

maf-me-quick wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:20 pm
???

In the Matrix why do the machines hold people in tanks as batteries? Is it for the machines to feed off or to keep the matrix going? If it is the second one it seems paradoxical.
The machines feed on the humans in tanks as batteries. The Matrix is used to stop the humans from waking up and leave their brains docile.

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:18 pm

Which makes no sense. The machines would get more power by letting the humans die and then burning whatever they were feeding them.

Pious the chosen

Post by Pious the chosen » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:57 pm

Bilge Rat wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:18 pm
Which makes no sense. The machines would get more power by letting the humans die and then burning whatever they were feeding them.
They still let them die. Then they mush them down and feed the dead (as amniotic fluid) to the living...

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:47 pm

I was going to guess that they recycle the humans to each other, but the Wachowskis aren't good world builders anyway so who knows.

I saw somewhere that one of them had offered an interpretation that it's all about coming out as trans or something, which I also can't really see. But apparently in an earlier draft the 'Switch' character was supposed to be female in the matrix but male in the 'real' world. Or vice versa maybe. Studios were squeamish about it tho.
🌚

Pious the chosen

Post by Pious the chosen » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:09 pm

One-armed dwarf wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:47 pm
I was going to guess that they recycle the humans to each other, but the Wachowskis aren't good world builders anyway so who knows.
They briefly alluded to it with a throwaway line by Morpheus and a visual of fluid pouring around a jacked-in baby. That's all you get.
One-armed dwarf wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:47 pm
I saw somewhere that one of them had offered an interpretation that it's all about coming out as trans or something, which I also can't really see. But apparently in an earlier draft the 'Switch' character was supposed to be female in the matrix but male in the 'real' world. Or vice versa maybe. Studios were squeamish about it tho.
In light of how the Wachowski's are now, given they were brothers when The Matrix films were made and not so much today, I wouldn't doubt that The Matrix could be interpreted in that way, retroactively.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:26 pm

I watched Deadpool 2. Very good if a bit tiring

Pious the chosen

Post by Pious the chosen » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:28 pm

maf-me-quick wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:26 pm
I watched Deadpool 2. Very good if a bit tiring

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:30 pm

Is Spiderman doing some sort of attempt at a Heil Hitler thing in that gif, that's very shocking and disappointing if so.
🌚

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:32 pm

Honestly, kind of like the first movie I didn’t find it overly funny. I definitely laughed here and there, and the X Force “Landing” part actually did have me laughing very hard the whole way through that joke. But most of all I just enjoyed it as a comic book movie. I know it’s supposed to be that second and comedy first, but I don’t know it’s just works more for me from that angle.

Domino was under utilised. Between the bits she does in this film and the mini series that came out this year I’m all about Domino right now

Pious the chosen

Post by Pious the chosen » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:43 pm

maf-me-quick wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:32 pm
I definitely laughed here and there, and the X Force “Landing” part actually did have me laughing very hard the whole way through that joke.
As mentioned before, when I saw the film at the cinema, that was the only scene wherein myself and the rest of the audience were audibly laughing. Mostly due to how unexpected it is. I did find Deadpool himself very irritating in this film, as opposed to the first film. To me the first film was Deadpool in an action movie, he was the comic book part of the film. This film was an X-Men Movie with Deadpool in it.

I did have a wry smile with the end sequence, which seemed to be taking the p*ss out of a Certain Ham Acted scene in Infinity War that overstayed it's welcome...

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:26 am

The 'rewriting of the canon' during the credits was pretty awesome, too.

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:12 pm

What do people think about this Joaquin Phoenix Joker film

I get the sense that the comic fans think it looks shite but I feel that's cause it's either connected to this DCEU thing (which is bad) or it isn't (which makes the DCEU thing even more bad).

Or it's because comic fans aren't fond of Joker origins stuff.

But looking at the names attached it seems to me like it could be good. Phoenix isn't my favourite actor but he's got a good record at playing a range of unconventional weirdos. From Commodus in Gladiator to whatever that guy he played in The Master was.

In retrospect I wonder if they wanted him for suicide squad but just settled for Jared Leto instead.

Robert De Niro is also in this film. Everything he does now seems to be terrible but who knows.
🌚

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:20 pm

It’s just Venom all over again