last movie you watched

When the other folders just won't do!
sleepery jeem

Re: last movie you watched

Post by sleepery jeem » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:19 am

RoboCop is coming back (again), this time from District 9 director Neill Blomkamp

RoboCop — the cyborg law man who cannot be killed by humans, the law, or Hollywood, apparently — is back. Today, Deadline reported that MGM is producing a new installment of the franchise, a reboot of the planned sequel written by the 1987 picture’s original writers, which never made it to theaters because of a writer’s strike the year after RoboCop’s premiere, and because Paul Verhoeven, who directed the original film, thought directing a sequel would be “déclassé.” The script languished for years, until the run-up to the 2016 election. The president of MGM, Jonathan Glickman, called up Ed Neumeier and Michael Miner, the two writers of 1987’s RoboCop. “He called me and said, ‘Did you actually predict in your sequel script that a reality star would run for president and win?’ We had,” Neumeier told Deadline. “So Mike and I wrote a draft and gave one interview in Barbados and I think the only person who read it was Neill Blomkamp, and that set this in motion.” Now Neumeier has a producer credit and Miner is an executive producer.
Treating men and women the same makes them different, and treating them differently makes them the same.

Dr. Stewart-Williams.

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:32 am

To me 2014 Robocop is the epitome of awful reboots that destroy everything that was good about the original franchise. I would love to see a successful continuation of the series but I have absolutely no confidence that it will happen.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:55 pm

The Mortal Kombat movie reboot sounds a little different

Warner Bros.’ New Line studio has been trying to get a new Mortal Kombat movie off the ground for years now in the form of a reboot of the franchise. The latest effort has a director and a screenwriter attached, and based on some early details about the film, it will take some intriguing departures from the established Mortal Kombat story.

Pop culture site That Hashtag Show reported earlier this week that the Mortal Kombat reboot will feature an original character in the lead role: Cole Turner. He’s described as a “struggling and widowed boxer who cares more about his young daughter than anything” and said to be “incredibly determined” in the face of adversity.

The cast of characters includes the usual Mortal Kombat crew: Kano, Sonya, Raiden, Liu Kang, Shang Tsung. Also listed are some characters deeper in the Mortal Kombat lore, like Drahmin, Nitara and Reiko. Not included are series stalwarts like Sub-Zero, Scorpion and Johnny Cage. Somewhat surprisingly, the casting breakdown for Raiden indicates he’ll be portrayed as a 14-year-old boy named Jin.

Those alterations to Mortal Kombat lore and the addition of Cole Turner as a key character — he fights alongside Sonya and Jax, reportedly — drew confusion from fans of the fighting game series. But according to the movie’s producer and screenwriter, fans shouldn’t consider the cast of characters final.

“Nothing is happening with the movie at this time,” producer Todd Garner said on Twitter, “so all news is premature.”

Greg Russo, who penned the script for the new Mortal Kombat, said on Twitter, “This is NOT the full list of characters.” He explained that the casting breakdown was based on an older version of the script, and hinted that characters Sub-Zero and Scorpion will appear in the film.

“An insane amount of love & care has already gone into the project,” Russo added. “As [a] guy who used to rule the arcade machine (Kitana all day), it’s in VERY good hands. Hopefully we get to make it soon...”

As with many Hollywood projects, particularly adaptations of established properties, things are always in flux. The Mortal Kombat movie hinted at in The Hashtag Show’s casting breakdown will likely be considerably different from the final product, if it ever gets made. Based on what we can glean from the character descriptions, Russo’s take on the Mortal Kombat tournament appears to make a lot of sense for a broader audience. Through Cole Turner, we’d presumably get an outsider’s perspective on the bizarre, interdimensional martial arts tournament known as Mortal Kombat. And though a teenage Raiden may sound strange, given that Turner is the father to a teenage daughter, the Lord of Thunder disguising himself as a friend to get close to Cole makes a lot of sense.

It doesn’t sound like the Mortal Kombat movie is in active production — Russo said in June that the filmmakers are still waiting for the green light to make it — but James Wan (Furious 7, Aquaman) is producing and (as of late 2016) commercial director Simon McQuoid was attached to direct.
Treating men and women the same makes them different, and treating them differently makes them the same.

Dr. Stewart-Williams.

Pious the chosen

Post by Pious the chosen » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:49 pm

Seems odd, but it can't possibly be worse than MK: Annihilation so I'll keep an open mind. It does sound as off the beaten track as that short from a few years that preceded the Machinima MK: Legacy web series.

The Short film (2011)

Meanwhile

Due to my Limitless Odeon subscription, tomorrow I'm off to see Incredibles 2 and Monday I'll be seeing The Secret of Marrowbone. Thoughts coming, as and when...

Pious the chosen

Post by Pious the chosen » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:50 pm

The Incredibles 2

:| It's the same film.

After waiting 14 years for a sequel, they more or less give us the same film again but with Elastigirl in the lead over Mr Incredible. I don't like to put spoilers in my reviews, suffice to say, if you liked The Incredibles, you'll like it again. 7/10

*OneTwo*

Post by *OneTwo* » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:36 pm

Spoilers everywhere and I can't see Ant-Man and Wasp yet 😞

Fuk uuuuuuuuuuu 🖕🏻

Pious the chosen

Post by Pious the chosen » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:38 pm

*OneTwo* wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:36 pm
Spoilers everywhere and I can't see Ant-Man and Wasp yet 😞

Fuk uuuuuuuuuuu 🖕🏻

I know, right? August 3rd for us and I've already heard what the after credits scene is :roll:

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:27 am

You're surfing on the wrong waves of the internet. I was able to watch Infinity War 7 weeks after it came out without reading or hearing a single spoiler.

*OneTwo*

Post by *OneTwo* » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:06 am

I've done well, I've not had anything actually spoiled. Should be out here tho muthafuckas.

Guess I'll watch Jurassic World.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:11 pm

:roll: grievance time...

Mary Queen of Scots gives Saoirse Ronan and Margot Robbie two big, powerful roles as rival queens, and it ought to make for a movie filled with some fantastic performances. It’s also the directorial debut of Josie Rourke, who comes from the theatre world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnqjSgMU36U

The film comes out on December 7th.

Dr. Stewart-Williams.

Pious the chosen

Post by Pious the chosen » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:11 pm

sleepery jeem wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:11 pm
:roll: grievance time...
:lol:

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:00 pm

:lol: yeah I know I should have put it in the referendum/Noexit thread, but its still movie news.

Didn't even know it was being made till the SNP nutter I serve sometimes tried to bore me with its historical importance and that it would further the cause apparently :roll:

Dr. Stewart-Williams.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:05 am

Rogue Trooper movie in the works, with Duncan Jones aboard

https://twitter.com/ManMadeMoon

Duncan Jones, the director of 2016’s Warcraft, tweeted a teaser this afternoon that all but confirmed his next project will be an adaptation of the Rogue Trooper comic book and video game canon.

Dr. Stewart-Williams.

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:00 am

Mute was kind of unimpressive but I'll keep an eye on this because his other three movies were pretty good. Moon's actually one of my all-time favourites.

Speaking of favourites and which won't be one: Suicide Squad.
Firstly I was pretty shocked to see this came out in 2016. I was convinced it was a 2017 movie.
Secondly it's a bit of a mess. Particularly the pacing, as the story kind of sprints towards a certain goal during the first 30 minutes but stands still at that point until the end, so you're stuck in this weird limbo for 90 minutes that wants to flesh out the characters but fails miserably at it. Smith was decent but too goody-goody to be Deadshot. Killer Croc was awful and looked laughable with his big head and tiny body. El Diablo was okay. There was also some Boomerang guy who was super lame and could have been left out without the need to change the script. And of course some shitty Joker who thankfully only had about seven minutes of total screentime. The best one hands down was Harley Quinn and I'm not just saying this because she was played by Margot Robbie.
And then there was Enchantress. Nice surprise at first because I didn't know she was in this movie but why did she have to be played by Delivingne? She was fine in her primal state when she didn't talk but as soon as she upgraded and opened her mouth she became laughably over-the-top. Compare Delivingne's performance to, say, Cate Blanchett as Hela and it's clear why this was doomed to fail on the villain side.

On the plus side I wasn't particularly bored by the movie so there's that.

Snaggletooth

Post by Snaggletooth » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:54 am

Shin Godzilla

Its like old Godzilla but New, Its good, better than that human melodrama Hollywood put out recently.
Plus Godzilla looks Bitchingly cool.