Beyond: Two Souls

Chat about anything you like, as long as it's games related.
Maryokutai

Re: Beyond: Two Souls

Post by Maryokutai » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:20 pm

maf-me-quick wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:31 pm
No joke what supernatural stuff happens in Beyond? I don’t remember at all
The entire game is build around a supernatural premise. I'm not even sure if you can get past the title screen without noticing that.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:26 pm

I’ve just forgotten it. Genuinely not sure what it is

One-armed dwarf
Location: L̜͙̮̖̘͇͌̇o̤̞̭͕͗̿̄ͭͩ̄̉n̝̜̬̩͢d҉͖̥̣̙̹͚̭ơ̾͑̿̽̅n̫̜̘͉̰͍̄ͥ̍̾̇̽

Post by One-armed dwarf » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:26 pm

I haven't even played this game and I knew that lol
🌚

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:27 pm

I haven’t played it since it came out and definitely did not think about it much more after

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:30 pm

I just Wikipedia’d it

Jodie, who is portrayed by actress Ellen Page, possesses supernatural powers through her psychic link to Aiden, growing from adolescence to adulthood while learning to control Aiden and the powers they share. Willem Dafoe co-stars as Nathan Dawkins, a researcher in the Department of Paranormal Activity and Jodie's surrogate-father-figure

No joke you could of stopped me at Ellen Page and that was as much as I remember. Reading the rest of it sounds familiar but still not really sure what happens in the game.

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:46 pm

Sometimes I wonder if you're just sitting in front of a game and pressing buttons while thinking about how you would design a steel-type Pikachu. Like when you read a book and your mind drifts off until you realise you just read an entire paragraph and have no idea what it says. You sort of do that with videogames.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:52 pm

Dude you have no idea how close you are to the truth

However in this instance I just think it’s been such a long time and I didn’t like the game very much

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:32 pm

Still enjoying this, but I assume I'm probably getting near the end (just finished the mission in the snowy wastes).

Both this and Heavy Rain made me ponder on the transition between these games and interactive movies/TV (Netflix and their Puss in Boots movie, and the pending episode of Black Mirror).

As online game streaming becomes more viable, then rather than making bespoke TV programmes with limited interactive decision points, then we could just have more crossover games, or even episodic content such as the Telltale Games. If they made the decision interface a mobile device then it's pretty similar to the PlayLink game Hidden Agenda.

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:53 pm

Telltale Games and Netflix were actually working on something like this as a project beyond their Stranger Things games (which I guess they were also planning on releasing on Netflix). Too bad we'll never see the results.

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:45 am

Finished it, really enjoyed it too.

Thing is, and this will go for choose your own path TV too, that whilst I acknowledge there are multiple paths then I have no intention to go back and play through them.

What I like is that element of flexibility which allows me to chose to mould the story how I wanted to, and I've done that, so picking alternative choices just to see how they pan out just doesn't feel 'natural' if you know what I mean.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:10 am

“That’s my story and I’m sticking to it”

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:20 am

maf-me-quick wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:10 am
“That’s my story and I’m sticking to it”
Yep, so in many ways its like an RPG.

I chose to play Jodie in a certain way, and whilst I can understand that I'm missing out on alternative pathways, then anything different is just someone else's story.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:26 am

My problem with games like this is I know the story I want and when I mess up or can’t get it to go that way then I become annoyed and disinterested, or restart to a better position if possible but feel like it’s ruined because I cheated

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:33 am

There were a couple of instances where I chose a particular dialogue option but I felt that it didn't really play out how I'd of intended to, if that's what you mean, but I just rolled with it.

Otherwise it's like doing one of those Fighting Fantasy books but checking out the outcome on different pages before you commit to a path :lol:

Worst still with these type of games is when you're seemingly given different options, but actually it doesn't really affect things anyway (Telltale Games, I'm looking at you....).