Game News Titbits

For the latest happenings in the world of videogames
One-armed dwarf
Location: L̜͙̮̖̘͇͌̇o̤̞̭͕͗̿̄ͭͩ̄̉n̝̜̬̩͢d҉͖̥̣̙̹͚̭ơ̾͑̿̽̅n̫̜̘͉̰͍̄ͥ̍̾̇̽

Re: Game News Titbits

Post by One-armed dwarf » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:32 am

Omg reading twitter threads on tell tale will drive you mad, the amount of fans asking the fired developers to work on the game for free
🌚

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:26 am

See my Twitter is just filled with people talking about wanting severance packages

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:01 am

This article does a pretty good job at explaining why lots of people, myself included, drifted away from Tell tale games https://www.polygon.com/2018/9/25/17896 ... evelopment

I remember a dramatic scene in like episode 4 of TWD S1 being ruined by a sudden cut. Not an intended cut but a straight up performance or animation 'jump' from a person having a head to the head being replaced by a cinder-block and brain matter. Then a bunch of miscued audio and out of sync dialogue running together at once.

The tech was just never that good and the inadequacy was made well apparent when LiS came out and was much nicer looking in comparison.

They also took a long ass break between seasons 1 and 2 of that game and did different projects in between, like Vampyr.

I don't always agree with Patrick Klepeck but he's right here https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article ... ey-screwed
🌚

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:02 am

Tell Tale fired the 25 people they kept on, they are completely finished now

There was something out there about them reaching out to other companies to contract them to finish the pending projects they had but I don't know what the state of that is. They're mired in lawsuits right now so maybe that's not going to happen.
🌚

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:17 am

The story about their work ethic and last-minute employments seem rather fishy but it's still sad to see them go like this. The last issue of EDGE had a short article about Telltale in which a producer was saying that they found their rhythm, that everything was going smoothly now and better than ever, that they'd focus on quality over quantity from now on. Was a hard read honestly, particularly as I got my issue a few days after the announcement.

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:22 pm

You've got to always keep your ears open in these startups, keeping an eye out for red flags and any rumours of 'restructuring'. Always keep building up that emergency fund. Which is obviously easier said than done when you're living in a very expensive city like San Francisco or have a family.

London isn't the same as the Bay Area, our rents don't hit nearly the same level but I've always tried to keep a few months funds ringfenced where possible. Not a lot but keeps away the feeling of being on the cliff-edge all the time.

In SF though you read about people living paycheck to paycheck cause the rent already eats up 50% of their take home pay, just sounds like a really awful place to live. The trendiness isn't worth the stress of being in that instability all the time.

A while I ended up in a meeting with my current company and learned that there was maybe only a few months of runway left. I actually wasn't supposed to be in that meeting, I just happened to be in the office later than usual and learned more than I was probably supposed to. But in the end they managed to keep clients happy long enough to keep the thing afloat to today at least. But it's scary also that management do their best to try and hide that from a lot of other people who will have no clue how bad things might be. If things didn't go well as they did then a bunch of people would have suddenly being let go (me as well probably but at least I had a heads up on it)

The Verge have a postmortem up on TT games https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/4/1793 ... lking-dead
The final nail in Telltale’s coffin, however, was the loss of potential investors, who “dropped out last second,” one source says. On Thursday, two companies decided against investing in Telltale. When contacted by The Verge, one of the two companies, AMC, declined to comment. The second, according to Variety, was South Korean mobile game company Smilegate. “We were told that one backer pulled out like at 2PM on Thursday and the other at 7PM on Thursday,” a former Telltale employee tells The Verge. “It was immediate. It was bam bam, both of them backed out.”

According to several sources we spoke with, employees were under the impression that deals were “all but signed.” In meetings about the potential investors, one says, “we were told it was essentially done. It was a done deal and it would be fine. And if one backer pulled out then the other was ready to jump in and sign with us. I guess they didn’t plan for both of them.”
This here is very fucking familiar to me
Why Telltale’s management was so blindly confident — or even deceptive, as some sources surmise — is a mystery to the people who worked there. Some pointed to the company’s habit of not sharing information with employees unless it was positive. “There was a huge lack of foresight — anyone could have told you Walking Dead 4 was not going to be a hit — and they failed to keep employees in the loop because top talent was already jumping ship left and right.”
🌚

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:49 am

Hmm...

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:51 am

Don't buy this
🌚

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:14 pm

I never played past the first season so this wouldn’t be for me, anyway, regardless of all the shit that’s gone on

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:24 am

Take A Tour Inside This Awesome ‘90s To Early-‘00s Video Games-Themed Exhibit In Japan

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2018/10/12/ta ... Pp0oHVB.99

8) nice.
Those deceived by religious extremism shall be assisted by resettlement and re-education.

Chinese UN Mission.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:27 pm

sleepery jeem wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:26 pm
Posting this one in a few places as warning.

PS4 Messages Designed to Brick Your Console Reported By Users

According to multiple threads over on Reddit, there's a potentially devastating issue on PlayStation 4 right now, and it stems from simple messages. Users say that receiving certain messages can 'brick' your console, effectively breaking the system. We're not totally clued up on the technical details yet, but the bottom line is that right now, a factory reset of your PS4 -- which deletes all of your data -- is the only guaranteed way to get your console up and running again.

From what we understand, this is a text-based exploit. Someone who wants to brick your console simply sends you a message that your PS4 can't read or recognise, and it crashes the system. Some users are claiming that deleting said message through the PlayStation mobile app fixes the issue, but others suggest that it doesn't always work.

If you're worried about this happening to you or someone you know, you can take steps to prevent it. We've listed these steps below.

1.Go to Settings on the main PS4 menu
2.Go to Account Management
3.Go to Privacy Settings
4.Go to Personal Info | Messaging
5.Go to Messages
6.Set it to either Friends Only or No One to ensure that strangers can't message you
Those deceived by religious extremism shall be assisted by resettlement and re-education.

Chinese UN Mission.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:00 pm

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018 ... r-a-decade

CoD crash on physical but have massive digital sales spike on all other platforms even beating out Destiny what does this mean tune in next week to find out don’t miss it

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:39 pm

8) god I loved House of the Dead....

An enlightening new trailer for House of the Dead: Scarlet Dawn has been released. The latest trailer begins by showing off the mysterious villain talking about the next stage of human evolution, before moving on to introduce the two AMS Agents handling this latest zombie outbreak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivzmV9AAD3I

This House of the Dead: Scarlet Dawn video starts with flashback, showing The House of the Dead 4’s Goldman and The House of the Dead 3’s Curien. We then see the new villain, an elderly man, who references the two past villains and notes people either have to evolve or go extinct. We then see AMS Agent Ryan Taylor and Kate Green, who are at a fancy event and about to hunt zombies while saving people.

Cutting-edge ‘Unreal Engine 4’ game graphics technology on powerful dedicated hardware brings all the zombies, characters and environment to life in incredible detail and quality. The game-changing controller is lightweight and uses unique vibration technology to produce a realistic recoil feeling.

Players will enjoy the five-dimensional full body experience thanks to immersive internal cabinet features. 5.1 channel surround sound with sub-woofer, high spec bass shaker, air canon and spot LED lights, all work together to produce a captivating, tense horror feeling that thrills players.

Chinese UN Mission.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:53 am

The National Videogame Museum will be the first permanent museum in the United Kingdom to focus on videogames and located in the middle of England: Sheffield.

The NVM hosts scores of playable consoles and arcade machines, innovative exhibitions of studios, their games and how they are made, as well as cultural festivals, clubs for kids and parents, and a host of events. The NVM will feature unique exhibitions reaching back to the industry’s birth and forward to games still in development.

This will be the “third episode” of the National Videogame Arcade, a museum in Nottingham that lasted for three and a half years and recently closed up on September 3, 2018. The NVM will launch with a “test lab” of Gang Beasts, the popular party game from developer Boneloaf. This museum will continue what the NVA did previously and attempt to create a space where game makers can meet with game players and will respond to the community’s ideas for new exhibits.

NVM Patron and BGI Chair Ian Livingstone CBE said “The NVM is the games industry’s own museum, celebrating our games, our studios and our sector’s achievements over 40 years. I invite anyone who cares about the cultural life of video games to join leaders from across the industry and support this amazing project with content, evangelism and funding to help expand the programme in the years to come.”

Currently the National Videogame Museum is supported by patrons that includes: Ian Livingstone (co-founder of Fighting Fantasy and Games Workshop), Andy Payne (British Esports Association), Sumo Digital (LittleBigPlanet 3, Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing), Rebellion (Sniper Elite), Rami Ismail (Nuclear Throne, Luftrausers), and Masaya Matsuura (PaRappa the Rapper). Those interested can sign up for their newsletter via the NVM website.

https://www.thenvm.org/

Chinese UN Mission.