Dark Souls II + Spoiler thread.

Chat about anything you like, as long as it's games related.
One-armed dwarf
Location: L̜͙̮̖̘͇͌̇o̤̞̭͕͗̿̄ͭͩ̄̉n̝̜̬̩͢d҉͖̥̣̙̹͚̭ơ̾͑̿̽̅n̫̜̘͉̰͍̄ͥ̍̾̇̽

Re: Dark Souls II + Spoiler thread.

Post by One-armed dwarf » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:14 pm

But what about the Irish blacksmith who extorts you for a ladder. Probably the most memorable Souls character ever I think. He comes from the Wesht.
🌚

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:01 pm

Watcher and Defender, absolute bollocks of the highest order :evil:
🌚

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:07 am

I did it, I beat Dark Souls II. I still have some small things to do like go around looking at 'memories' and seeing what Vendrick did to the giants. Speaking of which I have to kill Vendrick too, but he is really powerful. But yeah it really turned around in the second half. The game isnt without massive issues and too many boss fights feel like they're built off a template of 'big guy with obvious tells swings sword around' and the encounter design has too many powerful mobs which DS1 didn't have and neither did BB. But the lore stuff is really cool this time. It's not very linked in with the stuff with Gwyn in the first game, I think maybe he gets a side mention but it feels like this self-contained thing.

Gameplay wise I thought this boss fight was terrible, the two guardians of the throne: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVt3o6dqT9Y

Kind of like Ornstein & Smough but they don't complement each other well at all, it's just an annoying fight. You can't kill one two quickly cause the other one revives them, so they both must die within a short time of each other. I got caught out by this on first run and killed them over and over and couldn't DPS them hard enough.

I got my DEX and STR both up to 40 for the end and powerstanced a drangleic sword in one hand and waving sword in the other and absolutely cheesed the Giant Lord and the Guardian Dragon (who took a massive smashing to the taint over and over, turns out dragons really hate that)

The Queen was more difficult, but also sort of so what. Had some interesting tricks but yeah the numbers are not well balanced in this game with the way you can smush stuff so easily. The DLC will be the main challenge I'm betting.

All told this is a really rough and off-brand Dark Souls but I enjoyed this playthrough more than I did my recent one of DS Remastered, mainly cause it gets better as it goes while DS1 only gets worse.

Next is onto the little bit of Iron King I haven't finished and the other two DLCs

Last edited by One-armed dwarf on Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
🌚

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:13 am

Also I have no clue who that guy Pious was talking about is, I missed that stuff entirely. I don't think I really completed any of the NPC stuff properly. The lady from Mirrah showed up near the end and told me to remember her name, then I killed her brother and never saw her again. Looking at the trophies there's a bunch of people I've never heard of, so I dunno about any of that.
🌚

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:06 am

Navlaan is in the Aldias Keep area (the end boss in the area is the Guardian Dragon).

IIRC when you enter the keep area there's a big staircase in front with balconies the run back along the walls. Navlaan is on the ground floor in a 'room' under the end of one of those balconies.

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:50 am

There's a thing apparently where you can fight the titular Scholar of the First Sin (Aldia, Vendrick's crazy scientist brother) but you have to kill Vendrick first and then the Queen (in that order). But I've killed the Queen, so apparently I need to use one of those bonfire ascetic things and she will respawn, but I must also defeat Watcher and Defender again :( . At NG+ levels of power :cry:
🌚

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:42 am

Although I did end up enjoying it a lot there's a bunch of real big issues with its approach to difficulty which are explained pretty well here by Matthewmatosis https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UScsme8didI

I think he's a bit hard on the handling of some lore stuff but the way they have enemies gang up on you in this (even in some boss fights) felt like a fundamental misunderstanding of why DS is considered challenging. It's exhilarating when it's a challenge that you can see a way out of but sometimes in DS2 there's parts where they force you to eat shit to proceed.

It's not that these games are difficult it's more important that they force you to learn a way through. But a lot of the time the way through is kiting enemies out of their aggro range, picking them off or i-framing through them.

Or if you're a pro like me you kite them and make their pathfinding cause them to jump into big holes.
🌚

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:16 pm

I don't know that I can do this games DLC. There's another boss with a really bad boss run that sucks, but also his attacks have really bad hitboxes

I keep getting killed by this one here https://youtu.be/dDLuWfEcs1o

I play bad here in general, but that last bit wasn't my fault at all and it keeps getting me.

This is why I pumped the i-frame stat I guess.

Most of my deaths tho are just on the run to the fight, I'm trying to despawn the entire area just so I can learn the boss. So if the other DLCs are like this as well then I'm not sure how worth it it can be.

edit omg look at this one was even worse I can't even 🤣
https://youtu.be/ccfKNGsTE5k
🌚

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:34 am

I beat the 'Sunken King' DLC, or at least the main route of it (there's some bonfires and optional stuff I haven't found). That DLC was a bit rubbish, the environments were ugly and nothing about it was interesting. However I found a place way at the bottom where I could wail on frog dinosaurs and get Petrified Dragon Bone or whatever the material is that is used to upgrade boss weapons, so that's cool.

I'm switching between the Fume Knight's Greatsword now and dual wielding the Drangliec Sword & Warped Sword. The Fume Knight one is very powerful but hits my equip load really bad so my dodging performance is way worse. But it's good at destroying those dragon guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTzOXy98Fps (Squalid Queen)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo5-kFRzvgs (Slumbering Dragon)

I got a very powerful spear from the dragon's boss soul which I will probably use as my main spear once upgraded. But yeah at this point I feel like I'm progressing through content for its own sake and just hoping to not miss out on interesting lore but this DLC wasn't really good at all.

I went and started the other one, the Ivory King. The environment here was much cooler looking. A big Anor Londo style castle with a blizzard on all the time. The mobs of enemies are unfair as always though and I find myself running past them a lot. Or kiting them around and backstabbing them.

I beat a tiger boss which was a bit rubbish and then found my way down to 'The Chaos' to I guess rescue the Ivory King. This is stuff that links back to DS1 I think cause it's got a major Lost Izalith Bed of Chaos type feel. Maybe it's the same location. But anyway I got my ass kicked and got to come back later to see what's up here I guess.

Stats wise I've got STR up to 45 cause there's a DEX weapon I wanna dual-wield but I need a very high STR to do so, so my STR is higher than DEX but I'm still a DEX build technically :?

I think a major issue now is that these DLCs have the main game challenge and when you play DSII at a 'hard' level of difficulty the problems with encounter design become impossible to ignore. As well as the terrible hitbox issues of some bosses, Sir Alonne is a broken fight that just feels pointless to learn.

Fume Knight is maybe the only truly great boss in the game. It is really difficult but you feel good about overcoming that challenge. It's a fight that teaches you how to play, in particular how to manage stamina. Literally a 'git gud' boss fight. But so many other bosses just throw a basic boss enemy at you and have a bunch of adds which give you very little windows for opportunity, forcing you to cheese i-frames and trade blows while getting hit. When you're playing the very easy main story bosses it's easy to ignore these issues (except for Watcher & Defender) but when it tries to become a proper Souls game it's just not well designed at all.
🌚

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:50 pm

Performed two acts of regicide today. Went down to Bed of Chaos town and killed the Ivory King. Or freed him maybe I don't know. A cool looking encounter, very Lord of the Rings. But frustrating to play.

Then went off and killed Vendrick. You dodge a bit and hit his bum, it's very exciting.

I'm done for real this time I think. There's some stuff I haven't seen and bosses I haven't beat but the stuff that's left doesn't seem that interesting or has bullshit boss runs, so I've had my fill of this. I might return to finish stuff off but the stuff that's left is of that frustrating repetitive boss run kind. I had thought initially that Fume Knight would be representative of the entire DLC bosses but it kind of wasn't in the end.

Now for a DS1 replay + first time with the DLC. Going all in on STR, DEX & END. I must have all the weapons, all of them.
🌚