The All New Comics Thread

When the other folders just won't do!
maf-me-quick

Re: The All New Comics Thread

Post by maf-me-quick » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:44 pm

I don’t know how I feel about the new Spider-Man comic. On some level I like where it’s at because it’s resetting Spider-Man to square one, which after him being a billionaire, and dating Mockingbird and all of this shit is nice to, do what the title actually says, and that’s get back to basics. Get Peter back with MJ (Yes!), have him try to find a new job, put him at the bottom of the superhero pile, have everyone hate him. This is what I like. Although it does feel forced getting there, I’m just happy to enjoy and actually laugh at a Spider-Man comic again after just feeling so tired after Dan Scott writing it. I’m hoping once we get off this initial story arc things pick back up but I’m very much liking this.

I don’t know how I feel about FF. on one hand super excited for the return, in the other Slott’s writing it so.

On, and Justice League is FANTASTIC. I’m not going to claim that I could explain it all in fine detail because it’s very confusing with some of it, but overall I’m loving it and I think it might be the best looking comic I’ve ever seen. This Jimenez guy is pure fucking fire. Look at this.

Pious the chosen

Post by Pious the chosen » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:35 pm

:mrgreen: It's good!

Not Fantastic but it's good. I was apprehensive, FF as a whole have been off the scene for a long time and I don't really know of Slott's work beyond his (awful) Silver Surfer book and knowing he has been the 'Spider-Man guy' for a while. Characterisations were solid, accurate and the story didn't overstay it's welcome. 8/10

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:57 pm

I can’t find the other pages that go with this but, I fucking love Ultimate Spider-Man. It is just so good.

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:57 am

I always liked the back and forth with Black Cat. They did that pretty well in Spider-Man 2 (the game), at least for its time.

That mask she's wearing here is just ugly though.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:28 am

Yeah, it is not the best Black Cat costume. I still think the original is just kind of classic. Although I do also really like the “new” one (I say new but it’s a few years old I think. Not sure how long)

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:20 pm

Wow...so the Domino comic is...superb?! :o

What a fun book! It’s written by Gail Simone which I think might of wrote Batgirl back in the new 52 which I read some of but honestly don’t remember anything about it. I will need to watch out for her she is awesome and this comic is awesome!

:o

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:01 pm

Are you reading Extermination, Pious? It’s pretty fun, but who is Ahab? I’ve never heard of this guy before.

Pious the chosen

Post by Pious the chosen » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:12 pm

maf-me-quick wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:01 pm
Are you reading Extermination, Pious? It’s pretty fun, but who is Ahab? I’ve never heard of this guy before.
Not yet, trade waiting for it. Does sound interesting, especially if it finally gets rid of the Terrible Time-Displaced X-Men. As for Ahab...

A late 80's/early 90's villain. Born out of Days of Future Present (Time being re-written after Days of Future Past). He's one of those alternate timeline guys like Bishop or Cable. It was through him that Rachel Summers was brought into regular 616 continuity.

Pious the chosen

Post by Pious the chosen » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:28 pm

Some reference material for the standalone pilot to a series that never was, Pryde of The X-Men.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:35 pm

Magneto is supposed to be 6’10? :lol:

Tangentially related I’ve been catching up on the Hunt for Wolverine comics which actually for the most part have been pretty good. Hunt for Wolverine #1 was really good although the final page is just a bit of a weird ending. Weapon Lost was pretty cool. Adamantium Agenda was really fun and trashy, but good humour in that book. Claws of a Killer sucks. It started off on a bad foot because it’s all about Daken, Sabertooth and Lady Deathstrike, all of which are lame characters. But then they get beat up by zombies and it’s like this is so dumb.

All of these series seem ultimately pointless because Wolverine obviously won’t actually debut until the book called Return of Wolverine (Or something). But for the most part they have been fun reads, if not essential reads

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:37 pm

Excited for this, Pious?

Hopefully they do away with all these different X-Men Blue/Gold/Red books and we just get proper teams

Pious the chosen

Post by Pious the chosen » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:49 pm

maf-me-quick wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:37 pm
Excited for this, Pious?

Hopefully they do away with all these different X-Men Blue/Gold/Red books and we just get proper teams
For starters, it's about time they started to reign characters like Cannonball back into X-Books, instead of lame Avengers series. Meanwhile, while it is nice they did away with "Vampire Jubilee" and gave her back her powers, she is still just as lame as she's always been. X-23 means nothing to me, other than 'Girl Wolverine'. Storm and non-Phoenix Jean Grey are as interesting as watching paint dry. De-ninjaing Psylocke seems the most pointless thing Marvel have done since Ultimatum. Literally nothing to gain by doing it. She had been an Asian ninja for longer than she was in her original body, which actually died from the Legacy Virus aka Mutant AIDS allegory, about 20+ years ago. They made Bishop a villain, who died. Lame. They had Nightcrawler come back from the dead, pulled from Heaven no less, sans soul. Also lame. Both were better dead.

So apart from Beast (my favourite X-Man ever) certainly not excited for this line up at least. I hear they were going back to "Uncanny" and "adjectiveless" as the Two X-Men books. So which ever one this lineup stars in, I'll be looking to the other one :lol:

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:55 pm

It depends on what they do with Psylocke. If there is a plan then I’ll go with it if they just randomly did it than who cares. The way comics work she’ll end up Asian again anyway.

But get rid of Cannonball because Cannonball is lame and this is a really solid team, I think. Also this is Uncanny I haven’t seen anything about just a ‘X-Men’ book yet

Pious the chosen

Post by Pious the chosen » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:03 pm

The thing with Psylocke is she has gone from being one of the most deadly hand to hand combatants in the X-Men (back) to...

Meanwhile, Cannonball will always get a pass from be for this:

To put that feat into perspective:

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:07 pm

Oh, she’ll still keep her fighting ability they just made her white again.

And Canon all doing it that is like Spider-Man beating up Firelord. Like, really?