The Yakuza Franchise |OT| Mr. Libido & Pocket Racer (SPOILER WARNING)

Chat about anything you like, as long as it's games related.
Shadowman

Re: The Yakuza Franchise |OT| Mr. Libido & Pocket Racer (SPOILER WARNING)

Post by Shadowman » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:10 am

Been a while, I've now finished Yakuza 3. This remaster is exactly what I wanted, Dragon Engine visuals aside of course! The game runs amazingly, still looks fairly decent (polishes up nicely into 1080p) and loads way quicker than on the PS3.

Story wise it still has those wacky points, but the end of chapter 11 still destroys anything else in gaming in terms of a performance by voice actors. Hits hard and is so well done. Oh, and the bit with Nakahara and Saki before the boss battle is also hype as ****. The end level and boss fight is just as amazing as ever as well!
Side story wise you get the rise of more story based stuff with the likes of the Tuna Fund, Cup Ramen, Cafe Alps Murder, Date's Pride, Restoration of Dragon Palace + Komaki's training etc. (too many to list!) but you still get a few good ol' scam stories as well.

And mini games... well this was also the game to really start adding tons of them. 1&2 was pretty lean on them, but 3 really adds loads of them in and again this is probably the turning point to where I absolutely started loving the series as it gives me so much to do outside of the story. Speaking of which, thanks to some decent online tips I've now managed to clear every last darn mini game requirement for the "mini game master" trophy, the hardest thing to do in the series (well, on par with the final baseball requirement in 1HD at least). Over the moon with that.

There's also been loads of interviews for RGG Online popping up lately, read them translated here:
https://dojimasdragongirl.wordpress.com/

Sounds really good. I'll give it a shot, and if nothing else hopefully we get story translations. Shin RGG will follow several plot points as well so there's that. TGS is very soon, so fingers crossed for a blow out of info.

Snaggletooth

Post by Snaggletooth » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:01 pm

Nice really looking forward to picking this up at some point soon, re master is sounding very good.

Been thrashing my way through Kiwami 2,only really did the essentials in the import but realised missed so much in doing that, so trying to go for as close to 100% completion as I can, guess just depends on my drive towards the end.

Much as per my initial thoughts though this remake really sets a new bar for remakes in my mind, adds to the experience of the original in so many ways still remains one of my favorite in the series.

Snaggletooth

Post by Snaggletooth » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:35 pm

New game from the RyuGaGotoku Studio - Judge Eyes
http://ryu-ga-gotoku.com/judgeeyes/

Totally Unexpected and very welcome, looks like a great new title with some differences and variations to the
standard Yakuza gameplay, Detective elements, but looks like still has plenty of the Yakuza action you would expect.

That being said dont have the money to jump on this one straight away,
but will no doubt be picking it up.

Snaggletooth

Post by Snaggletooth » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:29 pm

Now Fully subtitled , Release in West Confirmed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXzfOe6MRMU

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:40 am

It reminds me a bit too much of Yakuza. I think the studio needs to get a bit riskier in the future, both this and Hokuto no Ken are pretty much Yakuza games in all but name with a few more extra game features to distinguish them.

It looks promising though and unlike later Yakuza game doesn't ask the player to have knowledge from five other games so I'll probably give it a try.

Snaggletooth

Post by Snaggletooth » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:34 am

Yup some what agree with you, would have been nice to see a bit more differential, in play and locale, but I get it at the same time, its a familiar concept it will likely sell well. Being a fan of Yakuza not going to complain.

But would have been nice to see new locale, play mechanics, makes me wonder if it just didn't have enough original content to flesh out a new game, or Sega being reluctant to let them do something else outside the franchise.

Personally would love to have seen them go back to Binary Domain for another game, feels like does need a natural break at the moment, there have been so many titles release over last year people likely to go into burnout.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:56 am

What is this? Sega mismanaging a brand? Why I never

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:11 am

Snaggletooth wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:34 am
Personally would love to have seen them go back to Binary Domain for another game, feels like does need a natural break at the moment, there have been so many titles release over last year people likely to go into burnout.
Yeah, that's one game I was thinking about as well. They definitely can do differently, it's just that for some reason they won't. That said Yakuza was never as popular in the west as it is right now so I can see why they'd want to ride the momentum for as long as they can.

Shadowman

Post by Shadowman » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:53 am

maf-me-quick wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:56 am
What is this? Sega mismanaging a brand? Why I never
I wonder if you even know what mismanaging means. Especially on the localisation front the games are getting released faster and faster with excellent translations. We've gone from not getting games at all to getting localisation announcements and trailers on the same day as the Japanese announcement. Boy, this mismanagement really sucks :roll: Plus if trying to appeal to more people via this new series with a recongisable actor, soft rebooting the series so that people won't feel intimidated into jumping into the series or using a gatcha mobile game to generate more interest is classed as mismanaging then at least it's still in better shape than pretty much every other series Sega has ever touched bar Football Manager.
Maryokutai wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:40 am
It reminds me a bit too much of Yakuza. I think the studio needs to get a bit riskier in the future, both this and Hokuto no Ken are pretty much Yakuza games in all but name with a few more extra game features to distinguish them.

It looks promising though and unlike later Yakuza game doesn't ask the player to have knowledge from five other games so I'll probably give it a try.
Later gaames don't ask for knowledge of past games. Not sure where you get that idea. The games are self contained. 4 is basically a completely new beginning bar one lingering plot point from 1 which is really more of a cool nod. Playing 3 (or any game for that matter) doesn't require you to play 2 at all, likewise the intro for each character in 5 eliminates the need to play 4 as its very clear what's going on in each characters stories (well, as clear as that twisty story can make it).
Only game that even came close to being a continuation of the previous game was 6, and that features an hour long intro to basically negate the need of playing 5 if you so please. While its better to play previous games in the series for the payoff at the end of the story, its far from essential and most of the continuity that you won't get are in side stories which can span several games. Character building of course is lost if you don't play said games, but that's a different matter entirely.

As for FOTNS, while it has trappings of past Yakuza games, the combat defines the game. It feels so good, and improves on difficulty and boss encounters so much. Its not just a copy and paste of the formula but rather evolving it nicely, and I see Judges Eyes combat does the same thing. So that pleases me.
Snaggletooth wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:34 am
Yup some what agree with you, would have been nice to see a bit more differential, in play and locale, but I get it at the same time, its a familiar concept it will likely sell well. Being a fan of Yakuza not going to complain.

But would have been nice to see new locale, play mechanics, makes me wonder if it just didn't have enough original content to flesh out a new game, or Sega being reluctant to let them do something else outside the franchise.
Buzz is already quite good on the game for the leading character alone. Apparently he's a huge deal in Japan so sales figures will be interesting. Nagoshi mentioned the game was originally going to be a TV series, but its been turned into a game instead, which I can't complain about as a detective game in Kamurocho was actually my most wanted game in the series. This actually has me more hyped for Shin as it shows they are willing to have more fun with the combat. Stances return, you can pull off wall moves, heat moves where you smash people through doors into interiors, vaulting and maybe even air juggle combos (couldn't tell by the demo 100%).

Plus the story already has me sold, and depending on the investigation stuff (snooping and disguises) this looks to have a completely different feel to Yakuza. I was going to wait to get the English release, but after seeing the gameplay and playing the demo I'll import it and then do the same for the English release day 1.
As for new local. Looks like we'll get a few new areas to explore for investigations (though no word how big), but a second city probably isn't out of the question. Though as said before I love the idea of telling more tales within Kamurocho, itss also been confirmed we won't be seeing Kiryu, Akiyama, Majima etc. in this one, but the Tojo Clan are shown via one character who's a pretty low rank goon from 3rd string family so it'll be interesting to see if any nods to Shin's story will be shown seeing as the Tojo are gone or underground by the time Shin rolls around.

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:18 am

Shadowman wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:53 am
Later gaames don't ask for knowledge of past games. Not sure where you get that idea.
Because everyone in the game knows each other while you don't. Yes, the main storyline is usually self-contained but if I have never played a Yakuza game before I can't imagine just jumping in with entry 4 and not feeling like I've missed quite a lot. Maybe the phrase 'asking for knowledge' isn't a 100% right but 'increasing enjoyment and payoff with knowledge' definitely is. One of the main reasons why I haven't played 5 and 6 is because I never really got into 4. And having played both 2 and 3 I know that I wouldn't be able to enjoy them with a continuity break in between.

Snaggletooth

Post by Snaggletooth » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:56 am

Meanwhile at TGS RGG Mascot gets a bit violent
https://twitter.com/i/status/1043717007235940358

Snaggletooth

Post by Snaggletooth » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:55 pm

New Yakuza Online special trailer dropped over the weekend.
Pretty damn sweet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8D8xjYPcZ4

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:04 pm

November PS Plus Games Seemingly Outed by Official PlayStation Website

Update: Sarah Wellock, a SEGA employee, has confirmed the inclusion of Yakuza: Kiwami in next month's lineup.
Those deceived by religious extremism shall be assisted by resettlement and re-education.

Chinese UN Mission.

Shadowman

Post by Shadowman » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:17 am

So spent a good 50+ hours so far playing through the second PSP Yakuza game. Compared to the more cinematic feeling mainline games this feels more like a TV series in design (and going by Nagoshi's interview comments I seem to be right on that). In that each of the 10ish chapters feels like an episode of a TV show - building a main story in the background while each chapter focuses on one character and boss. The story and characters are excellent, the standout being the main character Tatsuya who's gone from being an unlikeable asshole to a mini Kiryu in training (ok, maybe closer to a mini Saejima in terms of sheer brutality). I really can#t wait to see where the last couple of chapters go.

Combat wise the game features a different system to the mainline games, one that focuses on 3 enemies at most in fights, but best tailored to 1 on 1 encounterse in the game (best showcased against chapter bosses). Combat is a slower, more methodical affair as you can get tired out from spamming attacks/dodges to often, while higher level enemies like bosses or Yakuza only need a couple of good combos to destroy you, so its best to play defensively until you injure them a bit, then you can go for some longer combos. Its something that feels strange at first coming off the super fast combat of the other games, but its one that is easily as good when you get the feel down.

Activity wise you have the usual stuff (bowling, batting cages, UFO catcher, hostess clubs etc.) plus part time jobs and of course gambling which is where you earn most of your money. Mahjong yet again gets a great mini game, with a 100 person ranking to rise to the top of (51st so far, halfway there) while the arcade has a light gun game in the style of House of the Dead (see Judge Eyes for a higher quality version of this concept next month). Hostesses are also a lot of fun, unlike a few of the Yakuza series which makes them feel pretty boring. Then again they only include 7 here, not 10 which makes a huge difference. Ranked fights are the main annoyance since its a great idea but fighters are low leveled to begin with and it takes forever to rise up through the ranks. I'm only rank 20 after 50 hours, and its only taking longer...

Definitely file this one under games in the series that few will play, as I never see this getting translated. So like Kenzan and Ishin its something you'll need to import (and its well worth it).

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:45 pm

Giant Bomb are playing Goldeneye and I miss this game so much. This was a game where I only played the parts that were easy for me. So basically the first few levels are the ones I played over and over. I think it’s the damn, the facility, the jungle and then Silo? Maybe I’m missing some levels. But the clickety-clak of the ammo pick up sound FX and the way the machine is floaty like a fishing rod in front of the player. Man the nostalgia.

But it’s also better than I remember it being. I forgot all the death animations the soldiers had and it doesn’t look great but I like the way it looks. I guess that’s still nostalgia talking.

I really wish I had the room in my house to set up a CRTV strictly to play N64 games on