The Valkyria Chronicles Thread

Chat about anything you like, as long as it's games related.
sleepery jeem

Re: The Valkyria Chronicles Thread

Post by sleepery jeem » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:22 am

After Sega announced that the original and beloved Valkyria Chronicles would come to Nintendo Switch in Japan, many wondered if it would be localized.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiQh7_9TqIQ

Turns out that yes, it will be, and its release isn’t even too far. It will launch in North America and Europe on October 16th. Sega made the announcement during a panel at PAX West.

On top of that, Switch fans get a special treat. if they buy Valkyria Chronicles 4 on the Nintendo eShop, they will be able to receive an automatic 25% discount for the purchase of the original game, in order to enjoy the beginning of the story at a cheaper price point.
Those deceived by religious extremism shall be assisted by resettlement and re-education.

Chinese UN Mission.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:19 pm

Are these games actually running related to these series? They looks the same

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:10 pm

Dark Rose Valkyrie : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzPNfU5MLMo No.

Valkyria revolution : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LdnYjhIAB8 Yes its a more action RPG spin-off.

Anyway...

Valkyria Chronicles 4 just got a 9/10 from Push Square

Valkyria Chronicles 4 has the unenviable task of reinvigorating a series that hasn't seen a mainline home console entry in over a decade, as well as washing away the bad taste left in players mouths after the dreadful Valkyria Revolution.

That it succeeds so comfortably on both fronts is at once a surprise and a delight.

The storyline is thoughtful and engrossing, the cast is varied and likeable, and the combat is challenging and rewarding throughout.

This is the game Valkyria Chronicles fans have been waiting for, and one that newcomers to the series should be equally excited for.
Those deceived by religious extremism shall be assisted by resettlement and re-education.

Chinese UN Mission.

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:23 pm

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:36 pm

Mary I do you good deal I play your game you bought and you can watch in quiet

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:10 pm

The Valkyria Chronicles series is set in a fictional world inspired by our own, with wars that may seem similar to ones fought in our own history.

Valkyria Chronicles 4 may be the fourth installment, but it is actually set during the same time period as the original Valkyria Chronicles.

While both games look at the Second Europan War, they offer different viewpoints of what is going on. To help people catch up, Sega has released a video going over the game’s lore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzL8ueVJQ3U

This “Europan History in 5 Minutes” video with Douglas Welch covers the First and Second Europan Wars.

While Valkyria Chronicles 4 only covers what is happening with Squad E from the Atlantic Federation during the Second Europan War, having an understanding of what led to it might help when dealing with the game’s conflicts.

Chinese UN Mission.

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:34 pm

Alright, I'm ten hours into this and only in Chapter 4. I have no idea how many chapters there are but if I remember correctly you could beat the first game in around 20-25 hours so it'll be interesting to see where this goes. In terms of story progression not that much has happened yet. There's a bit of mystery about certain members of your group and I haven't even encountered the titular Valkyrie yet so there's definitely quite a bit to come still. So far it's the classic blend of warfare drama and anime cliche that worked so well in the first game and still feels good here. I could have done without a character like Riley, but at least she's super helpful on the battlefield.

Gameplay hasn't evolved that much, which I suppose is a good thing. There are some minor tweaks here and there, a new class (I think, at least I don't remember it) and you can now bundle of characters or transport them with an APC to get them across the battlefield quicker. But it plays and feels just like VC1 and mission design hops between excellent and extremely annoying just like it did in the original as well, though the good missions are more frequent, thankfully. Whoever liked the first game will like this, too.

It also has a habit of explaining everything, even the explanations:

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:59 pm

I picked up the PS4 remaster of the first one the other day. I had a 24 hour period where I seriously believed I would do the ‘prep’ to play 4. Stupid. Especially because I’ve already played the first one.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:00 pm

Seems there hidden characters in this one as well, but I haven't been posting on that so as not to spoil anything for you.

Do want the game but am still obsessing over NMS for now.

Chinese UN Mission.

Pious the chosen

Post by Pious the chosen » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:48 pm

I do really want VC4 (and the Battlechasers game) I just can't justify the resources spent on "me" at this time of year.

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:55 pm

maf-me-quick wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:59 pm
I picked up the PS4 remaster of the first one the other day. I had a 24 hour period where I seriously believed I would do the ‘prep’ to play 4. Stupid. Especially because I’ve already played the first one.
It helps having VC1 fresh in your memory but it's not needed since both stories take place at the same time. I do plan on re-playing the first one again after completing this as it has been a while since I did so but I didn't find the time prior to this release.

There's also a really sweet crossover DLC bundled in the special edition that sees the VC4 party do some training exercises with Squad 7. Shame it isn't part of the game, it hit all the right nostalgic spots for me.

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:40 am

I was thinking about this game and how I wanted to play it while going to work today. Probably the first time this year that has happened to me with a single player game so it definitely does something right.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:35 am

Does anyone else remember VC2 where there is a girl character who is a nurse and part of your squad but is scared of blood and can’t do her job properly

So the guy she likes shoots himself in the stomach to push her into doing her job

It’s also something to do with being colour blind

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:36 am

Here we go
maf-me-quick wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:51 pm
The main girl in VC2 just told the main character she was colour blind, and that's why she can't save all the injured, so the main character shot him self and said to her "so what, are you just going to let me die here?" i love parts of this game. it's fucking nuts.

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:39 pm

VC2 had some good stuff but there was too many bad and annoying stuff dragging it down. It was okay for its time, particularly as it was a handheld game, but following up like this after the masterstroke that was VC1 was always a sure way to leave people disappointed.

SEGA is conducting a survey about the franchise at the moment. VC4 isn't doing too hot right now but with a bit of luck they realize that they're sitting on a rather beloved IP with a loyal fanbase.