The PC Thread

For the latest happenings in the world of videogames
maf-me-quick

Re: The PC Thread

Post by maf-me-quick » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:53 pm

I've read the sentence that starts with "The performance cost of the patch" 7 times and I still can't work out what this series of words means

tresdoss

Post by tresdoss » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:01 pm

I've never gamed on a pc and even I can work out what it means.... :?

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:04 pm

Ok, 9 times. Still not got it

One-armed dwarf
Location: L̜͙̮̖̘͇͌̇o̤̞̭͕͗̿̄ͭͩ̄̉n̝̜̬̩͢d҉͖̥̣̙̹͚̭ơ̾͑̿̽̅n̫̜̘͉̰͍̄ͥ̍̾̇̽

Post by One-armed dwarf » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:09 pm

maf-me-quick wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:53 pm
I've read the sentence that starts with "The performance cost of the patch" 7 times and I still can't work out what this series of words means
I'm not good at explaining things.

Basically there could be massive performance drops across any system running with Intel processors.

The patch is fixing some low-level hardware flaw that I don't really understand.

Doesn't include consoles cause that's all AMD. But servers and all sorts of hosting solutions like AWS (which, for instance, hosts Giantbomb's content management system) will have issues running at the same scale as before.

That is in the event this patch comes at a big performance cost.

Guess what I'm trying to say it's not just gaming stuff.

For anyone who is interested in the gaming side (pious said he was building a PC) then maybe hold off on buying intel CPUs for a bit until maybe someone runs benchmarks with the new patch

AMD: Advanced Micro Devices, another manufacturer of processors.
AWS: Amazon Web Services. Hosts server side stuff for websites, almost everyone uses them
🌚

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:11 pm

Not just Intel: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... urity-flaw
[...]

The Spectre flaw affects most modern processors made by a variety of manufacturers, including Intel, AMD and those designed by ARM, and potentially allows hackers to trick otherwise error-free applications into giving up secret information. Spectre is harder for hackers to take advantage of but is also harder to fix and would be a bigger problem in the long term, according to Gruss.

Intel and ARM insisted that the issue was not a design flaw, although it will require users to download a patch and update their operating system to fix.

“Intel has begun providing software and firmware updates to mitigate these exploits,” Intel said in a statement, denying that fixes would slow down computers based on the company’s chips. “Any performance impacts are workload-dependent, and, for the average computer user, should not be significant and will be mitigated over time.”
I'm wondering how crazy it would be if they had to patch console CPUs as well and everyone's PS4 and Xbox ran slower :o

So many console games are CPU-bound (ie, CPU hits its limit before the graphics card does, therefore meaning a performance drop will have a big impact)
🌚

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:22 am

Nvidia Reveals Large Screen, Low Latency 4K Monitors With High Refresh Rate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkReO19HXJU

Nvidia has revealed a new brand of monitors for PC gamers, and they’re calling it Big Format Gaming Display (BFGD). This enthusiast class monitor features all the bells and whistles that are necessary for a great gaming experience. Partnering with ACER, ASUS, and HP in 2018 these monitors are a massive 65-inches in size, that also incorporate 4K screens that have 120Hz refresh rate, G-Sync Technology, HDR, 1000 nit peak brightness, among others.

A 65-inch display that sits a foot or so away from your face may seem like overkill, but for those that want it, these displays sound like they’re going to perform just as well as any PC monitor when it comes to performance. What this means for gamers that want a big-screen experience is that they won’t have to sacrifice things like input lag. Compared to a standard 4K television, Nvidia says that players will see highly reduced input latency between the two screens.

The monitor will also feature Nvidia’s Shield as well. Which means that the monitor will be able to take advantage of all of the things that Shield offers. This currently has a ton of different apps available, with streaming support for Amazon, HBO, Netflix, YouTube, and others.
Treating men and women the same makes them different, and treating them differently makes them the same.

Dr. Stewart-Williams.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:56 pm

Microsoft halts AMD Meltdown and Spectre patches after reports of unbootable PCs

Microsoft has paused distributing its Meltdown and Spectre security updates for AMD machines after reports of PCs not booting. Microsoft’s support forums have been full of complaints from PC owners with AMD processors, and the software giant has acknowledged the issues today. Microsoft is blaming AMD’s documentation for the unexpected problems.

“Microsoft has reports of customers with some AMD devices getting into an unbootable state after installing recent Windows operating system security updates,” says a Microsoft spokesperson. “After investigating, Microsoft has determined that some AMD chipsets do not conform to the documentation previously provided to Microsoft to develop the Windows operating system mitigations to protect against the chipset vulnerabilities known as Spectre and Meltdown.”

Microsoft is now preventing AMD PCs from receiving updates, to stop machines from getting into an unbootable state. Microsoft is working with AMD to resolve the problems and continue issuing updates to AMD PCs soon, and affected owners will need to visit Microsoft’s support site for fixes to get machines back into a bootable state. The hiccup is an embarrassing issue for both AMD and Microsoft, just as the industry as a whole continues to deal with the fallout from the Meltdown and Spectre CPU flaws.
Treating men and women the same makes them different, and treating them differently makes them the same.

Dr. Stewart-Williams.

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:38 am

Haswell CPUs slowed down significantly by Spectre fixes: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=16113289
https://hothardware.com/news/microsoft- ... ctre-patch

My PC had a Haswell. i54690k.
🌚

RapidMollusc

Post by RapidMollusc » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:38 pm

My gaming laptop does too :/
Nintendo ID: Jodhopper

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:02 pm

:? apparently my laptop has a...

Intel (R) Core (TM) i5-6200U CPU

.....whatever that means, but as I only post here,shop,watch YT and read Manga online I shouldn't really notice a drop.

Dr. Stewart-Williams.

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:58 pm

^That's part of the Skylake generation, reportedly not too bad effected by the updates.

It's not likely to hit gaming/general tasks that much apparently tho I guess something CPU intensive like calculating a turn in Civ or playing an RTS might be a bit slower.
🌚

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:58 pm

I7 4790K here, probably affected but not noticed any issues.

I have only played like 2 hours of PUBG in the past month on it though.
MFGamers Twitter
“Nationalism is an infantile thing. It is the measles of mankind.” - Albert Einstein

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:11 am

AMD’s initial response to the Meltdown and Spectre CPU flaws made it clear “there is a near zero risk to AMD processors.”

That zero risk doesn’t mean zero impact, as we’re starting to discover today.

“We have defined additional steps through a combination of processor microcode updates and OS patches that we will make available to AMD customers and partners to further mitigate the threat,” says Mark Papermaster, AMD’s chief technology officer.

AMD is making firmware updates available for Ryzen and EPYC owners this week, and the company is planning to update older processors “over the coming weeks.”

Like Intel, these firmware updates will be provided to PC makers, and it will be up to suppliers to ensure customers receive these.

AMD isn’t saying whether there will be any performance impacts from applying these firmware updates, nor whether servers using EPYC processors will be greatly impacted or not.

AMD has managed to stay out of the spotlight over Meltdown and Spectre, simply because the company’s processors aren’t vulnerable to Meltdown itself.

It’s becoming increasingly clear that Spectre variant 2 is pushing vendors to ready firmware updates, though. Intel aims to cover 90 percent of its processors in the last five years by January 15th, and now AMD is issuing its own firmware updates.

We’re still waiting to hear from Apple whether the company needs to issue its own firmware updates for Macs and iOS devices, and the Android situation could be even more complex due to the wide range of handset makers and operating system versions.

AMD is also revealing that its Radeon GPU architecture isn’t impacted by Meltdown or Spectre, simply because those GPUs “do not use speculative execution and thus are not susceptible to these threats.”

AMD says it plans to issue further statements as it continues to develop security updates for its processors.

Dr. Stewart-Williams.

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:14 am

Maybe hold off on updating your computer: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/1 ... _unstable/
Intel has warned that the fix for its Meltdown and Spectre woes might have made PCs and servers less stable.

Chipzilla has slipped out a statement to the effect that “We have received reports from a few customers of higher system reboots after applying firmware updates.” The problems have hit “Broadwell and Haswell CPUs for both client and data center.”
I am surprised we aren't hearing about great 'deals' on Intel chips yet.

Omnishambles: "a situation that has been comprehensively mismanaged, characterized by a string of blunders and miscalculations"
🌚

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:11 pm

Cryptocurrency stocks are crashing. Bitcoin is worth just sort of 10k USD at time of writing. Just a week ago it was riding high at 14k.

Sign of the end? Maybe now GPUs will go down in price lol.
🌚