The great TV Shows thread! (formerly THE WIRE)

When the other folders just won't do!
sleepery jeem

Re: The great TV Shows thread! (formerly THE WIRE)

Post by sleepery jeem » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:23 pm

:shock: WHAAAAA...

Conan the Barbarian TV Show Is Happening at Amazon

https://tvweb.com/conan-the-barbarian-tv-series-amazon/

:| Still have nightmares about the last attempt.
Treating men and women the same makes them different, and treating them differently makes them the same.

Dr. Stewart-Williams.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:19 am

Legion Season 2 Premiere Date Announced on FX 3rd April.

https://tvweb.com/legion-season-2-premi ... pril-2018/

:| think we got it the same time as the US, cant quite remember.

Also...

Marvel’s series about an angry street superhero dealing with trauma is back on March 8th

Jessica Jones Season 2 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSvnepZS26s
Treating men and women the same makes them different, and treating them differently makes them the same.

Dr. Stewart-Williams.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:44 pm

Letterman interviewing Obama for an hour makes me both laugh and sad

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:10 pm

New series of Go 8 Bit at 10pm on Dave tonight.

I'll be recording it then fast forwarding 90% of it no doubt.

Tonight has :
Guests Gregg Wallace and Jodie Kidd play a series of video games, including Spy Hunter, Total War: Rome II and Battlefield 1

Gregg Wallace, FFS, I'll now be FFWDing 95%.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:46 pm

shinymcshine wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:10 pm
New series of Go 8 Bit at 10pm on Dave tonight.

Gregg Wallace, FFS, I'll now be FFWDing 95%.

:lol: bet you just with 98% last night, some scientist :?: and a comedian playing football manager and a point and click :roll:

Anyway...

Amazon is developing a series based on Iain M. Banks’ sci-fi novel Consider Phlebas

THR reports that Amazon will partner with British screenwriter Dennis Kelly (who created the critically acclaimed Channel 4 series Utopia), and that should the scripts for the series work out, it will order it directly to a series. By acquiring big-name franchises such as Lord of the Rings, while facing intense competition from companies like Netflix, Apple, and Disney, it’s clear that Amazon is working to aggressively pursue major projects that play with complicated stories.

The Culture series is an undisputed classic of modern science fiction. Banks — who died in 2013 — forged a dual career as a literary and science fiction novelist. He began the series in 1987 with Consider Phlebas, which introduced readers to a space-faring, utopian society of humans, aliens, and artificial intelligences living across the galaxy. The novel follows an episode in a war between the Culture and the Idiran Empire, in which a shapeshifting mercenary named Horza is hired by the Idirans to track down a Culture artificial intelligence that was shot down and hiding on a forbidden world.

Should the series go forward and be successful with viewers, Amazon would have plenty of options to keep the show going for years: Banks followed up Consider Phlebas with nine additional installments in his lifetime, each a standalone story in his larger world.

Dr. Stewart-Williams.

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:22 pm

I quite like Josh Widdecombe (from when he did Taskmaster) so stuck with Go 8 Bit this week (in most part) but the Football Manager and point & click parts were quite poor. Likewise it seemed clear that Josh's control-pad wasn't working properly on the "jump" game, yet they just continued with it.

Bit miffed that Ellie didn't mention the 1982 ZX Spectrum Football Manager game either, as that's what essentially gave its branding to the Championship Manager series after all the corporate shuffling circa 2004 with Sport Interactive, Eidos & Sega etc.

Daft programme, and its all big missed opportunity IMHO.

Pious the chosen

Post by Pious the chosen » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:14 pm

Gaming TV shows have always had something off about them, even back in the 90's.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:18 am

New Lost in Space series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5X3vC-XsU0

"Set 30 years in the future, colonization in space is now a reality, and the Robinson family is among those tested and selected to make a new life for themselves in a better world.
But when the new colonists find themselves abruptly torn off course en route to their new home they must forge new alliances and work together to survive in a dangerous alien environment, light-years from their original destination.
Stranded along with the Robinsons are two outsiders who find themselves thrown together by circumstance and a mutual knack for deception. The unsettlingly charismatic Dr. Smith is a master manipulator with an inscrutable end game.
And the roguish, but inadvertently charming Don West is a highly-skilled, blue collar contractor, who had no intention of joining the colony, let alone crash landing on a lost planet."

Dr. Stewart-Williams.

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:17 pm

"Lost... in Space"

An intergalactic passenger spaceship crashes on a mysterious planet, complete with smoke, a polar bear, and a strange hatch....

merman

Post by merman » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:43 pm

shinymcshine wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:22 pm
I quite like Josh Widdecombe (from when he did Taskmaster) so stuck with Go 8 Bit this week (in most part) but the Football Manager and point & click parts were quite poor. Likewise it seemed clear that Josh's control-pad wasn't working properly on the "jump" game, yet they just continued with it.

Bit miffed that Ellie didn't mention the 1982 ZX Spectrum Football Manager game either, as that's what essentially gave its branding to the Championship Manager series after all the corporate shuffling circa 2004 with Sport Interactive, Eidos & Sega etc.

Daft programme, and its all big missed opportunity IMHO.
Actually the rebrand has nothing to do with Kevin Toms and the Spectrum game. Kevin recently released Football Star Manager on iOS and Android, recreating the original ZX81 version.

There's a big feature on Championship/Football Manager in Retro Gamer #178, in shops today.

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:18 pm

Whilst I will not doubt your retro knowledge I believed that they'd taken their naming inspiration from (Kevin Tom's) Football Manager, noting that there was no direct connection to those much earlier games.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:58 am

Dark Tower TV Show Lands at Amazon

https://tvweb.com/dark-tower-tv-series-amazon/

Also...

Ash vs Evil Dead season 3

Virgin Media On Demand: 26 February

And...

The Flash Season 4 part 2

Sky1 : 27 February

And...

DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, Season 3 part 2

Sky1 : 28 February

And news for march....

SEAL Team : New gung-ho action drama starring Buffy's Angel David Boreanaz.

Trailer : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAHa5f2F1Yw

And...

Elementary returns for its sixth as well.

And...

Arrow, Season 6 part 2

Sky1 : 01 March

And...

Agents of SHIELD Season: 5 (Shields In Spaaaaace)

E4: 04 March

And...

Jessica Jones Season: 2

Netflix : 08 March

And finally...

Supergirl Season 3 part 2

Sky1 : 29 March

Dr. Stewart-Williams.

One-armed dwarf
Location: L̜͙̮̖̘͇͌̇o̤̞̭͕͗̿̄ͭͩ̄̉n̝̜̬̩͢d҉͖̥̣̙̹͚̭ơ̾͑̿̽̅n̫̜̘͉̰͍̄ͥ̍̾̇̽

Post by One-armed dwarf » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:50 pm

HBO are doing Fahrenheit 451 :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEhsFEgsI5U

It looks modernised and got some Michael Shannon in it.

If they didn't make you read it in school it's a book about a dystopian future where reading was outlawed and free-thought suppressed through mindless 24/7 TV programming. Its version of dystopia has every wall a TV helping to render society like passive zombies.

Quite current when you think on it. Anyway looks like they're giving it the graphic novel makeover and embellishing a bunch of lore and world-building into it. Which is cool and I'm down for.
🌚

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:54 pm

The Quantic Dream game?

One-armed dwarf
Location: L̜͙̮̖̘͇͌̇o̤̞̭͕͗̿̄ͭͩ̄̉n̝̜̬̩͢d҉͖̥̣̙̹͚̭ơ̾͑̿̽̅n̫̜̘͉̰͍̄ͥ̍̾̇̽

Post by One-armed dwarf » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:57 pm

No the novel in which books are samizdat. Forbidden. By authoritarian regime that's never quite fleshed out in the book but probably will in this.

They mention the 'old internet' in the trailer so expect that the series will be very different.
🌚