Wrestling/MMA fans? WWE/TNA/UFC/INDIE PROMOTIONS discussion

When the other folders just won't do!
shinymcshine

Re: Wrestling/MMA fans? WWE/TNA/UFC/INDIE PROMOTIONS discuss

Post by shinymcshine » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:31 am

The relaunch of the Women's belt was undermined by the continuation of Ricks interference so his daughter won again, not a particularly positive message to keep sending there.

Zack Ryder was a genuine surprise, but Lesnar & Ambrose was too short, Shane O v Undertaker was a huge anticlimax (albeit the leap from the top of the cage was mammoth), and then, well Reigns, meh :roll:

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:40 am

I had heard that Zack might be getting a push although this big a win still seemed unlikely. If they can manage to do something with him then great, but it just seems like a long shot after the years of neglect. I agree with most of your other points. I didn't mind the womens' match and thought it was one of the better matches on the card but I see what you mean about Ric's involvement. Overall the show seemed to be pushing the message that the guys that were over 10-15 years ago are still far better than anything that we have today.

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:35 pm

If Shane O had won then it might have tempted more people back to Raw , which even I don't bother with much anymore.

Zack was a genuine surprise, since last time I saw him was as part of the Hype Bros tag team on NXT a few weeks ago, so guessed his future was there. Likewise Baron Corbin winning the Andre the Giant rumble was a shock, albeit some of the competition there was truly poor, albeit if his crossover is going to be as mishandled as say Tyler Breeze's was, the he should just stick to NXT.

The Charlotte Becky Sasha match was good, but I wish they'd let someone else take the title for a while. Charlotte has been given no particular characterisation, aside from Ric. Furthering the women's division with a tag team belt would at least give the rest of the rosta something to compete for. The Team Diva v Blonde & Bad was decent in the preshow, and there are some good female wrestlers in WWE and NXT too.

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:09 pm

Bilge Rat wrote:If they can manage to do something with him then great
Just watched RAW :roll:

I don't mind Baron and if they want to use the battle royale to give him a kick-start then fair enough. I'm not sure if there was anyone else in that match who would have benefited in the slightest. The Vaudevillains on the other hand are going to be jobbing to The Ascension on Superstars within weeks :P

regemond

Post by regemond » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:47 pm

I genuinely can't stand Corbin, as a person or as a wrestler. I'm not sure how much in character Breaking Ground was on WWE Network, but he came across as a total dick.

He's just irritated me from the minute I saw him. Same with Tyler Breeze, and Austin Aries. Although the Aries/Corbin match was pretty good.

I'm going to Wrestlemania Revenge tour in 2 weeks, so I'm very happy Zayn is on the main roster. I just hope he's there and not at the Smackdown taping (which I initially thought I was going to when the Mrs gave me the tickets).

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:17 pm

Nice! I've never been to a wrestling event. Make sure you boo Roman for me :wink:

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:26 pm

There's a "mini" NXT tour in the UK June, following their appearance at the Download Festival (10-12 June)

They're then going to Dublin (13th) Belfast (14) Liverpool (15) Bournemouth (16) & Plymouth (17).

None of which are particularly close to Edinburgh (for Bilge) though.

regemond

Post by regemond » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:08 pm

I checked the WWE site yesterday to see which Superstars are planned for the Manc event, and which are planned for Smackdown in London's O2.

I'm gutted that Jericho, Kevin Owens and AJ Styles will be in London, but so, so happy that Manc will have Kane, The Dudleys, Ric Flair (WOOOO), Charlotte, Sasha Banks and Becky Lynch (eternal dibs on Becky Lynch). Also, Roman Reigns will be in Manchester, so I'll boo for you Bilge, seeing as I have no particular feelings either way towards him. Unless apathy counts?

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:37 pm

If it's anything like the NXT Tour that I went to in Dec then don't get sucked into buying much from the merch stand - the same stuff is always cheaper on the WWE Euroshop and they usually have some sort of online offer each day too.

http://euroshop.wwe.com/

Their sale page is always worth a look at too - I got a great Bushwackers Hall of Fame t-shirt for £3 a few months back - and the NXT 2015 Tour T-Shirts are already down to £5.

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:07 pm

regemond wrote:Also, Roman Reigns will be in Manchester, so I'll boo for you Bilge, seeing as I have no particular feelings either way towards him. Unless apathy counts?
Actually, it now looks like they may be trying to turn him heel, it's hard to tell. Maybe apathy is the best option just to be safe :wink:

The only pieces of WWE merchandise I have ever owned came free with various copies of Smakcdown / Smackdown vs Raw / WWE 2kXX. I had a blue T-shirt with pictures of wrestlers all over it that I would have already felt self-conscious about even if it did not have the phrase 'I'M A HIGH FLYER' written across it in huge letters. I also got one of those awful Pop-Vinyl figures of Hollywood Hogan (which I swiftly donated to a gifts for kids charity) and a piece of the ring canvas that Hogan walked on when giving a fairly insignificant speech on a random edition of RAW a couple of years ago. I still have the canvas piece somewhere but it is just a blank square.

regemond

Post by regemond » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:29 am

So the live evsom was a lot of fun.

A match between Cesaro and Stardust kicked the night off and was a fun start with Stardust getting some quick heat playing the chickenshit heel role and Cesaro getting the win.

The random pairing of Zack Ryder and Darren Young took on Social Outcasts Bo Dallas and The One Man Band (why can't I remember his name???). This one was fun too, as much as Bo Dallas annoys me, he got on the mic for his normal shtick and called Manchester garbage, so he's in my good books now.

Rusev/Jack Swagger was as forgettable as you'd expect, but Swagger got himself a cheap pop by coming out with a Union Jack.

The tag title match was fantastic. Triple threat with New Day, The Usos and The Dudleyz. A running joke throughout the match saw everyone (including Kofi) picking on Xavier Woods and slapping his back. More cheap heat when Bubba Ray came out with an LFC flag (which got a massive cheer from me!).

Sin Cara vs Tyler Breeze was after the intermission and my personal piss break. Not a clue if that match was decent or not, but I was starting to predict which matches were left so looked forward to the next one.

Triple threat for the women's title. Charlotte/Sasha/Becky Lynch. I call eternal dibs on Becky Lynch by the way. This was a really good match and a nice little switch up from their Wrestlemania bout. Some nice spots and just a really fun match to watch.

Aaaaaand the main event. Sheamus came out for a heavyweight title match, then spoke about how he wanted to repair the animosity between Liverpool and Man U. So sang Youll Never Walk Alone. To the Manchester crowd. Cheap heat, but effective. And again got a huge cheer from me, and some other parts of the audience. This one was exactly what you'd expect, with both Roman and Sheamus getting some good spots in. Nice heavy hitting match up. Roman wasn't bad, but I still booed **** out of him (you're welcome Bilge).

Really good night all around, just a shame the crowd near me wasn't a bit more animated.

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Tue May 03, 2016 4:49 pm

Wow, Payback was actually awesome. They had some great matches and a lot of young talent. I think that Jericho was the only 'old timer', compared to all the old nags that they trotted out for Wrestlemania. Miz, Kofi and Natalia might be the only other featured performers who have been with the company for five years or more. It is great to see so many rising stars and fresh matches.

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Tue May 03, 2016 5:46 pm

Damn shame about Enzo, looked bad when it happened, but he's mostly okay (but now might be out for 3 weeks due to the WWE concussion rest period).

Wish they hadn't fccuked about with the ending of the Women's Championship match, really would gave liked Nattie to have won it, same with Cesaro over Miz and the referees distraction. The Styles and Reigns match was decent too, but I've not watched Raw yet to see how the Steph & Shane thing worked out - do you reckon it might end up with a Shane O vs Triple H match at a PPV ?

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Tue May 03, 2016 7:49 pm

To me it seems that their 'new era' is trying to get away from that reliance on tenured stars so I hope that Shane and HHH stay out of it.

I agree that the ending of the womens' match was pretty dumb. Again, this is refencing something that was a big deal twenty years ago. Do something fresh.

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Fri May 06, 2016 4:54 pm

Tickets for the WWE UK November shows went on sale today - so I bought a couple for the Cardiff show.

No idea who'll be there in November, and given injuries then maybe it'll be as late as October until I have any idea, but hoping that Seth Rollins is fit again by then !