The 'what book are you reading' thread.

When the other folders just won't do!
Guinnes1981

Re: The 'what book are you reading' thread.

Post by Guinnes1981 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:07 pm

Gave up on Violent Century three quarters of the way through. Zero character development (they're all miserable) on characters i don't give a damn about, and a story that's about as engaging as a roll of toilet paper. The big twist being that the guarded, well dressed character with impeccable pronunciation is gay (didn't see that coming a mile off).

One for the charity shop pile.

"I know winning isn't everything, but I thought you'd at least heard of it."

Pious the chosen

Post by Pious the chosen » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:05 pm

FINALLY Finished it :lol:

Up until a couple of years ago I had never heard of Neil Gaiman, then on a whim I bought a little book called Neverwhere. It told a narrative and created a hugely imaginative world based around the sights, sounds and places of London. It was a truly impressive book on many levels (I think I reviewed it here, whenever it was I finished it) and instantly put Gaiman on my Author radar. Inspite of the fact he does have a slight problem with ending his books (this is apparent now two books in).

So along came American Gods, selected as it was mentioned as a psuedo-successor to Neverwhere, or at least in the same universe. A considerably bigger book, comparisons could be made with The Hobbit to Lord of The Rings, and as expected a far grander tale too. Whereas Neverwhere had a more personal air, as it does revolve around a rather indepth knowledge of London itself, American Gods is less about a place and more about the people. All of the people, past and present that have ever migrated to the USA, by one way or another. Its about what they brought with them aside from their physical self. The ideas, beliefs and histories they brought with them which are explored in a rather unique and engaging way. In truth I didn't really like the central character (Shadow) all that much, as a lot of the interesting/mysterious aspects to him are never truly explained. Where Gaiman excels however, as with Neverwhere, is in the villains and the ensemble cast in general. This book is also a lot more adult than Neverwhere in both its themes and tone. With a copious amount of violence and gore at times and surprising, vivid sex scenes that I definitely wasn't expecting. A particular early chapter involving a Djinn really caught me by surprise. Ultimately this is one of the best books I've read in a long time and couldn't recommend it highly enough, despite my minor negatives. 9/10

Pious the chosen

Post by Pious the chosen » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:08 pm

I decided while the world cup was running I would select a book to read during this trying time of year. I selected:

Now I have yet to see the series, so I thought I'd read the book first and nitpick the show after (thats always fun). Only a few chapters in as work has been more tiring than I would have liked lately, its alright if a tad generic so far.

Other books I'm reading:

Blink - Malcolm Gladwell
Dr No - Ian Fleming
Lost At Sea - Jon Ronson
The Stand - Stephen King

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:05 pm

I don't read much fiction, but now and again stray towards the popcorn romp that is a Dan Brown novel, so currently 2/3 rds of the way into Inferno.

It's exactly like his other books, now familiar twists and turns, with pacy chapters, implausability, conspiricy theory, hokum, and a bit of art/history appreciation, but I find them a reasonable, unchallenging, read, the literary equivalent of a sunday afternoon action movie.

Perhaps there is a gaming connection too in that I've actually got a hankering to play Dante's Inferno now...... (although maybe time would be better spent reading Dante's Divine Comedy instead)

Snaggletooth

Post by Snaggletooth » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:32 pm

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:44 pm

merman

Post by merman » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:44 pm

Clive Cussler - White Death

next-gen_dreamcast

Post by next-gen_dreamcast » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:37 pm

samps82

Post by samps82 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:02 pm

Not really sure why but decided to read Dracula by Bram Stoker. I am genuinely shocked at how good this book was. I know it is a classic but there are not many things considered classics that stand the test of time. I was mainly in shock thinking what an absolute genius this man was. This book has defined horror and still is brilliant today. I can't imagine how at must have been received but for a book that is now over 100 years old it is a great read.

Me and the family often go to Whitby for a day out. Now really looking forward to the next trip
ImageImage

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:47 pm

Just read Ian Poulter's Autobiography, No Limits, it was alright.
Last edited by Blakey on Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Southampton F.C. 2015-16 Europa League Group Stages
Southampton F.C. 2011-12 Npower Championship Promotion|WE ARE PREMIER LEAGUE
Southampton F.C. 2010-11 Npower League 1 Promotion
MFGamers Twitter

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:47 pm

samps82 wrote:Not really sure why but decided to read Dracula by Bram Stoker. I am genuinely shocked at how good this book was. I know it is a classic but there are not many things considered classics that stand the test of time. I was mainly in shock thinking what an absolute genius this man was. This book has defined horror and still is brilliant today. I can't imagine how at must have been received but for a book that is now over 100 years old it is a great read.

Me and the family often go to Whitby for a day out. Now really looking forward to the next trip
Great book, but I can't believe that no-one has actually bothered to make a decent film of it so far, despite numerous attempts.

I also enjoyed reading Stoker's "Jewel of the Seven Stars" which is an Egyptian themed horror.

samps82

Post by samps82 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:18 pm

Will look that one up. Is the Gary oldman Dracula film no good?
ImageImage

Pious the chosen

Post by Pious the chosen » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:16 pm

samps82 wrote:Will look that one up. Is the Gary oldman Dracula film no good?

...No.

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:40 am

Pious the chosen wrote:
samps82 wrote:Will look that one up. Is the Gary oldman Dracula film no good?

...No.
Ken Russell's 1988 loose interpretation of Stoker's "Lair of the White Worm" offers a curiously 'better' experience, not at least for early appearances of Hugh Grant and Peter Capaldi, not to forgotting appearances by Amanda Donohoe and Catherine Oxenburg too.

I remember being quite excited by the prospect of the 1992 "Bram Stoker's Dracula" film, since it was released only a few months after I'd first read the book, but was deeply unimpressed by its degree of interpretation/adaptation - don't recall ever rewatching it since I saw it the cinema.

Pious the chosen

Post by Pious the chosen » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:08 pm

So.. no one else has read anything since October, eh?

I abandoned Game of Thrones Bk.1, more or less at the midpoint. No real reason I just didn't really feel the urge to return to it. Same with Blink by Malcolm Gladwell, a non-fiction book that did seem to drag.

True Grit by Bear Grylls

After reading his autobiography some time ago, I decided to give the most recent book a try after a browse in WHSmiths. It's a really good read, Bear recounts the life stories of those who influenced him and displayed the absolute limit of human bravery and endurance (in some cases to an insane degree). If you know the stories of people such as Ernest Shackleton, Louis Zamperini, Scott of the Antarctic or Aron Ralston, then this probably isn't the book for you. Otherwise if you find enjoyment in reading about real life adventurers, as I do, I can't recommend this enough. 9/10

Still to finish...
Dr No - Ian Fleming
Lost At Sea - Jon Ronson
The Stand - Stephen King