The 'what book are you reading' thread.

When the other folders just won't do!
merman

Re: The 'what book are you reading' thread.

Post by merman » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:49 pm

Storm House by Mark Hibbett (the singer/songwriter behind Internet hit Hey Hey 16K)

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:40 am

I finished Norwegian Wood. There were so many passages about sex and wanking and cumming in this it was crazy. Such a horny novel. But it was also a really sad book with lots of suicides and now I'm glum :(

regemond

Post by regemond » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:27 am

...and that's getting added to the wishlist...

In all seriousness though, I really want to give Murakami a go but I've heard his work is a little bit imperceptible and tough to digest. Are there any of his books you'd recommend to a first-time reader of his?

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:52 am

It's a very easy read I thought. Obviously it's translated from Japanese so there is that part of it where things are said and described that sound sort of weird. There's also some cultural stuff which is easy to forget, like the one scene where a 31 year old woman has almost sex with a 13 year old girl and the controversial part of that fact is that there was lesbianism, not the age.

I haven't read any of his other novels but I got Kafka on the Shore now so I will report back soon on how much wanking is in it.

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:08 pm

Wow IT is really long and kind of boring omg

My kindle says I'm only halfway through but I'm on page 700.

y is it like this. It's just a clown story

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:13 pm

However there are bits I like like when the kindly old lady invites Bev in for some tea and becomes less kindly and more gross and evil and slowly gets older and decrepit and becomes a witch. That's a proper creepy scene that will definitely get ruined by the movie sequel because they'll make it a jump scare

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:43 pm

One-armed dwarf wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:08 pm

Books, my guy

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:25 pm

maf-me-quick wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:43 pm
One-armed dwarf wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:08 pm

Books, my guy
Books are great. But IT is fucking killing me.

I really have bad luck with Stephen King. I try to read a decent amount but I never really went through a King phase. Only novel of his I ever read through was Salem's Lot which was uneven as ****. Good fun at parts but terribly disappointing ending. I dropped The shining halfway through but that was short.

This book is 1400 pages long and large parts of it feel like it's fumbling towards some amateurish stream of consciousness in the adult sections and some of the encounters with the IT demon are so strange that I find it hard to express visually in my brain.

There are parts I do enjoy but it's such a series of peak and throughs that it's like a rollercoaster but not in a good way.

I hear also that the kids have a gangbang at the end so maybe this is one of those cocaine novels where King forgets writing half of it and that's why it's so uneven.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:35 pm

I've had the same issue with King for years, he's brilliant at atmosphere, at building up the dread but he always loses the plot at the end and fecks it up.

My advice stick to James Herbert, yes he's a bit more graphic but his mid career stuff like Moon or Magic cottage are still great reads.
Capitalism is a bad name for a good thing.

Edward Lucas.

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:22 pm

Charlotte Street by Danny Wallace

I'd read a couple of Danny Wallace's real life experience books (Join Me and Yes Man) and this is his first novel.

Its a rambling search for a girl from a chance encounter, and meaders around before a predictable conclusion. Couple of high points, his mate works on a retro games shop so some gaming references, and the bit about Postman Park was interesting too.

Overall though it was disappointing.

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:16 pm

The Disaster Artist.

Soon to be a James Franco film, it's a book about The Room by Greg Sestero who played Mark in the film

It's a bit clunky and drags but very interesting. Tommy Wiseau seems like such a sad lost soul.

Apparently they spent hours filming that 'I did NAHT hit her' and 'what a story mark' scene because he kept forgetting his lines. They had to give him a prop (a water bottle) just so he could finish the scene. This is probably why there's so many scenes with characters playing with footballs and stuff in the film. Also he would not stop laughing whenever Mark described the scene with the lady getting beat. The director kept telling Tommy he should be concerned, not laugh at it. But he laughed every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIfWMb3riN0

Such a weird guy and makes you wonder what's going on there. Apparently a multi-millionaire yet no-one knows where he made his money. No-one knows his real age (estimated to be about early 40s at the time of The Room but he pretends he is much younger).

edit: I haven't finished the book but watching that scene again just makes it seem like he hates women or something.

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:04 pm

Kazuo Ishiguro got the Nobel Prize for literature. I've only read Remains of the Day but anyone else read some of his stuff?

Remains of the Day is from the POV of a butler who's lived a wasted life. Anthony Hopkins played the part in the film but I haven't seen it. Apparently his last book was fantasy which is super surprising to me.