The C-Word VII: The C Awakens

When the other folders just won't do!
Bilge Rat

Re: The C-Word VII: The C Awakens

Post by Bilge Rat » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:51 pm

maf-me-quick wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:39 pm
I spent about £300 on my mum. I got her some dvds, a neck and shoulder massage thing, a gold bracelet, a coat, and something else but I forget.
That is way too much to spend on a parent. My dad is getting an £8 book and my mum is getting a £10 art calendar :?

One-armed dwarf
Location: L̜͙̮̖̘͇͌̇o̤̞̭͕͗̿̄ͭͩ̄̉n̝̜̬̩͢d҉͖̥̣̙̹͚̭ơ̾͑̿̽̅n̫̜̘͉̰͍̄ͥ̍̾̇̽

Post by One-armed dwarf » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:53 pm

maf-me-quick wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:39 pm
I spent about £300 on my mum. I got her some dvds, a neck and shoulder massage thing, a gold bracelet, a coat, and something else but I forget.
Wowsers
I put 100 euro towards my mum's golf membership. Went halves with the parents to get my brother a Sennheiser 598C which is like the headphones I have but with noise isolation whatever that is.

Dad's got a book but I bought that fucker a watch earlier in the year :twisted:
🌚

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:46 pm

My mum means the world to me. I would of spent more if I could of thought of anything else to buy.

Also she is literally the only person I have to buy for

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:55 pm

I guess if my parents were poor then I would buy them more stuff. Since they have more money than I do it doesn't make sense for me to buy expensive gifts for them. If my mum wants a gold bracelet for some reason then she is perfectly capable of buying one for herself.

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:28 am

Christmas hosting mum & mother in law (77 & 82) again...

Oh boy, do they bicker, then talk & then repeat themselves, then bicker (repeat ad infinitum until bedtime).

So no gaming for me :-(

But Mrs S has taken them out to the Bingo, so I'm doing the Christmas Eve routine of :

Picking up meat order from butchers (all hail the butchers !)

Cleaning & tidying

Making sausage rolls & mince pies

Marzipan & icing the cake

Listening to Seasons Beatings (80s Christmas mix CD) and Kelly Clarkson Christmas CD - woooo Christmas.

Boiling gammon

Then finally going to Midnight Mass

Oh and maybe watching Die Hard

And drinking a few beers

Merry Christmas to all :-)

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:04 pm

shinymcshine wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:28 am

Picking up meat order from butchers (all hail the butchers !)

Knew I liked you for some reason laddie :wink: .

Anyway that's me done with what was the busiest Christmas we've had in over a decade (think that was a Monday to :? weird)

we sold over 100 blocks of lorne alone on Saturday :shock:

almost 100lb of silverside went as well :shock:

and we had just 2 turkey's left :shock:

Hell of a 2 days on Friday 16h and Saturday 18h, just 5h today mostly just cleaning up after all that, oh and of course as per usual I managed to cut myself...

... :roll: never a nice easy slash of course, I went for the full skin peel.

Fortunately I cut the tip off the very same finger years ago with a band saw, so I only really cut through scar tissue hence no real pain....bleed like a fekker for ages though.

So anyway...

"If your name is on the building where you work you're rich"
"If your name is on your desk you're middle class"
"If your name is on your shirt your f####ing poor"

Rich Hall.

merman

Post by merman » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:56 pm

Had a great Christmas with family and my girlfriend visiting. Going to spend New Year's Eve with Alison as we look forward to our future together.

Pious the chosen

Post by Pious the chosen » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:37 pm

A little late but...

I have a hard and fast rule that I spend the same on everyone I buy for. Be that Birthday or Christmas.
This year that was 16 people.
I am naturally a very generous person, some would say too generous but I don't see it that way. I either spend the equivalent in money or in the number of gifts. I mostly average between £50-£100 per head, which at it's maximum works out to about £1,600. Although some years it has been a lot more than that. I start Xmas shopping in August BTW.

This year was surreal. At time of writing Mum is still in Hospital, she has made massive progress since first admitted three weeks ago, but has a long road to full recovery ahead. Her gifts from me still sit wrapped up next to me here. We (Dad & I) had dinner at my Brother and Sister-in-laws. It was a nice meal and a good day spent in the company of my nieces etc but something was clearly amiss. Tonight I am going out. It's the first time I have had the inclination to do so and having just returned from a visit to see Mum, I need to clear my head a little too.

Overall 2017 hasn't been the best year for me and mine, the tail-end particularly bad, yet I am hopeful for 2018. Things need to change and with any serious reconciliation with my Ex largely off the table at this point, I need to start getting my act together and living like an independent adult again.

On That Note, Happy New Year to all and to all a good night :wink:

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:50 pm

:D good to here your Mums fighting on, I know it can be frustrating not being able to do anything to help her (mine's is slowly being eaten by her cancer) but I think its best to show them your trying to be happy....it cheers them up...its a being a parent thing :?

Myself I had another health scare on Friday night when I started p#ssing blood at work, made my excuses and run up to the A and E and it looks like a simple infection (find out on Wednesday for sure) went back and finished my shift.

:cry: got to admit its a new kinda pain for me...like p#ssing sandpaper, the worst was a clot on Saturday night that I had to "wank" out so to speak :cry: :cry:

As for presents my Da' always gets the same B&Q vouchers, all he gets really as for Mum she loves those yankee candle things with some perfume and flowers of course.

My youngest nieces and nephews got a few small things from me but as a rule we brothers and sisters don't give each other stuff, just never been our way and the older N&N know the rule that once your earning you buy your own stuff.
"If your name is on the building where you work you're rich"
"If your name is on your desk you're middle class"
"If your name is on your shirt your f####ing poor"

Rich Hall.

regemond

Post by regemond » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:41 am

More than a little bit late on this topic, but Merry Xmas, Happy New Year and all that lark everyone.

Pretty decent haul from the wife for me - amongst a mountain of clothes (I think she's trying to tell me something about my dress sense) and a couple of cool little gifts she knew I'd like, she also got me a decent little treasure trove of gaming goodness:

She did pretty well out of me too; besides the advent calendar I pulled together for her with 24 days of tat (including flashing earrings and tacky bobbles, as well as nicer gifts such as new leather gloves and a festive jumper), I also got her a new ring, watch, loads of workout gear (she asked for this, it wasn't a hint she needs to lose weight!) and some bits and pieces for work.

The little man had an awesome time too - he's almost 2 and a half now so he's starting to become really aware of things, so the idea that Father Christmas was coming to bring presents, and the magic reindeer etc got him all excited. He absolutely loved the day itself too. Got spoilt by me and the Mrs, then the MIL came with a load of presents, and the Mrs' brother turned up with presents on Xmas Eve, so he had tons to open. Obviously that's not what the day's about, but hopefully he'll be even more in the spirit of it next year!