Noexit the Donald and the New Puritans: Doomed, we're all Doomed

When the other folders just won't do!
merman

Re: Brexit the Donald and the New Puritans: Doomed, we're all Doomed

Post by merman » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:04 pm

shinymcshine wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:57 pm
Re Guns & Schools

The proposal of arming teachers would probably just send the problem elsewhere, so increase mass shootings in shopping malls, playgrounds, open sports fields, or wherever else here isn't instantaneous armed response.

Meanwhile banning guns would be hugely difficult given the number in circulation, and any restriction might just lead to a different weapon being used anyway.

Wouldn't it be better to address the cause of the problem, as to what drives people perform massacres (for non ideological or religious means *) ?

* not suggesting they are acceptable, but at least their motives are generally more understood.
Australia had a mass shooting at Port Arthur in 1996. Strict controls were brought in, and for gun owners there was an option for them to "sell back" their guns to the authorities. It worked.

One-armed dwarf
Location: L̜͙̮̖̘͇͌̇o̤̞̭͕͗̿̄ͭͩ̄̉n̝̜̬̩͢d҉͖̥̣̙̹͚̭ơ̾͑̿̽̅n̫̜̘͉̰͍̄ͥ̍̾̇̽

Post by One-armed dwarf » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:14 pm

The cause of it seems to be fuked up kids who aren't well or are dealing with social isolation/bullying/general mental health issues (notice that the shooting happened on Valentine's Day).

That's not a problem you can ever fixed. There will always be sick kids. That's too big a problem to solve. Not to mention some of these murderers over the years are emotionally unbalanced in ways that can't be counseled or easily medicated out of them. Like they're born that way.

You might not be able to ban guns but people who are sick like that shouldn't be able to buy firearms. If it was less easy there would be fewer massacres.
🌚

Sly Reflex

Post by Sly Reflex » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:04 pm

They don't want to cure the mass shootings.

It sells more guns.

It takes away heat from other political things.

For the elite, gun control is an issue that doesn't figure in their lives outside of winning votes. The only time you're going to see an increase in gun control is when someone shoots up a political gathering of some sort, and even then it'll just be a local solution rather than a a country wide one. They'll reinforce the targets rather than disarming everything because the machine feeds into itself and is very lucrative. The arms industry must pray towards the next mass shooting, since the money they make from it far outweighs the tiny fires that are lit around it during the blow back of a mass shooting.

The mad thing is it takes a mass shooting to get people to rally against being armed. People die needlessly to guns every single day in the USA.

Look at this.

I don't know much about Honduras' current situation to comment on the high deaths to guns per capita.

Venezuela is super fucked and has been for a long time. It's basically a real life Player Unknowns Battlegrounds from the many hours I've seen on TV.

El Salvador I think has a huge drug export thing going on, but don't quite me on that. I don't know enough to be sure.

Swaziland is another country I don't know much about, but the proximity of its location I expect there to be a lot of violence there.

Guatemala. I'm guessing drugs and general corruption from the little I know about this place.

Jamaica. Super fucked country with a crime rate that's sop high tourists are advised not to go outside their compounds. Yeah, not exactly a nice place.

Columbia. Known for massive drug exports. Drugs are valuable and people will use guns to seize the power.

Brazil. This place is completely horrendous for gun crime, or just crime in general. People have bugger all and they're willing to take other peoples lives to get a bit. A country so fucked up that the army has to control the favelas.

Panama. I'm not sure what's going on here. I'm all ears if you know.

Uruguay. Drugs again.

USA. Notice how all the countries above are kind of shiteholes or borderline warzones? What's going on here that brings a so called first world country so high in this rogues gallery?

Montenegro. No idea why this is here as I know nothing about this place outside of The Great War.

Philippines. This is basically real life Mega City One. Criminals and drugs on one side, corrupt unscrupulous law enforcement and lunatics on the other side.

South Africa. Apartheid aftershocks, poverty and mass corruption. I don't know if there's a lot of drugs here, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Paraguay. It's a south American country, so of course it's fucked.

Mexico. Apparently this is home to some of the most dangerous places to visit, yet statistically you're more likely to be killed by guns in the USA.

Costa Rica. Noticing a pattern here with the south American countries?

Argentina. And again.

Peru. And again.

Nicaragua. Yep.

Cuba and Bolivia are the outliers from Southern America, everything else is right up there. Maybe it's just America being America? Canadians have guns and are considered quite up on the development, especially over the Southern American countries. They poll in at 33rd on the death by guns per capita.

There has to be some sort of connection to why a developed country such as the USA has such an issue with guns. Is it the availability of guns? Poverty? Drugs? Is it the mentality or lack of respect for other people? Maybe it's the education system? Or maybe the failings of a social health system that's causing these deaths? It's an issue the USA has no idea how to deal with though, other than trying to sell us the lie that more gun'll do the trick.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:42 pm

Sadly even if you take away guns the nutjobs find a way, noticed a few commentators use Japan because of their strict gun laws as a case in point but they seem to have forgotten about the mass knife attacks that have occurred there for the Osaka primary school attack to last years 19 disabled patients a care home.

Don't think you'll ever prise guns from the Yanks completely, even overregulation would fail as most would just turn to illegal weapons.

Oh and Trump's blaming us again...

Trump shifts blame to violent video games, movies in gun violence discussion : https://www.polygon.com/2018/2/22/17041 ... mes-movies
"If your name is on the building where you work you're rich"
"If your name is on your desk you're middle class"
"If your name is on your shirt your f####ing poor"

Rich Hall.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:26 pm

Why did Trump say he would of ran in to that school to protect those kids but it has been confirmed he faked a thing that stopped him getting drafted for war?

It’s almost like he’s a liar. A big, fat stupid liar.

Almost.

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:39 pm

Was reading how removing the individual mandate on Obamacare will see premiums increase by around 18% next year.

I don't fucking get how Americans have such a rotten sense of social responsibility with this stuff.
🌚

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:17 am

One-armed dwarf wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:39 pm
Was reading how removing the individual mandate on Obamacare will see premiums increase by around 18% next year.

I don't fucking get how Americans have such a rotten sense of social responsibility with this stuff.
Their nation's entire background is shooting people that look at you the wrong way. I think that might explain it.

Europe's history is grouping up and then shooting at other groups so at least we get points for community effort.

Sly Reflex

Post by Sly Reflex » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:59 pm

To be fair we tend to break off into two groups and then shoot at each other, whilst bringing every other nation on Earth into it.

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:20 am

Trump been expressing some somewhat pro gun-reform views the past day or so. Raise the minimum age to 21. Allow cops to confiscate guns without a warrant and such.

Who knows where any of this will go as he made similar bipartisan promises wrt DACA and then he went like "lol fuk that".

But you wonder what a thing like this could do to the guy's legacy if he became the guy who talked some sense into americans wrt their fuked attitude on guns.
🌚

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:31 pm

Trump is going to meet with video game executives to discuss video games and fix them.

Well it's about time. The kids are out there playing the Metal Gear Survives. Someone's got to stop it.
🌚

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:17 pm

I saw a headline yesterday that said “Walmart is to stop selling guns and ammunition to people under the age of 21”

People on Twitter were surprised, and so was I. But for different reasons.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:44 pm

Only because it isn't part of our culture anymore Maf, I grew up around shotguns in the seventies when I helped out local gamekeepers and worked on local farms around Auchencairn and Kirkcudbright.

8) my dad even keep his two bore in my bedroom as it was the only cupboard with a lock back then, I got to assemble and clean it for him many times.

For Americans especially more rural America giving a BBGun (air rifle) to kids as young as 6 is considered normal over there.

There is a bewildering gun culture in many countries with hugely differing laws....

Brazil : 25 or over, total number of home firearms in Brazil is thought to be between 14 million and 17 million

Switzerland : rate of Swiss households containing at least one firearm is estimated at 24.45%

Austria : 18 or over, The Swiss Difference: A Gun Culture That Works : http://world.time.com/2012/12/20/the-sw ... hat-works/ (interesting read)

Denmark : 16 or over :shock:

Italy : 18 or over : The number of firearms an individual may own and retain in their home is limited to three common handguns, six sporting handguns or long guns, an unlimited number of hunting long guns, and eight historical firearms.

Australia : 18 or over.

And that's just the ones where some semblance of law exists...ok pushing it with Brazil I admit, but I needed one from south America and Brazil was the best example.

Anyway on a lighter note....

I got my yearly tax form into day, I paid just north of 3k with Welfare getting the biggest slice at £734, Defence a paltry £157 and finally at the bottom my personal EU budget contribution of £21....made me chuckle that :lol:

Rich Hall.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:42 pm

Stumbled across this rather interesting vid on the currant YouTube censorship issues...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcTCNQEJju8

:| it is a salient point when he mentions the way the Left is now the ones censoring world views rather than the "powers that be" like 30 years ago.

Well only in the west anyway, in the likes of Russia and China the powers that be still rule the roost.

Rich Hall.

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:47 pm

Tbh I didn't watch the video but which channels are being hit?

I read something on Alex Jones getting the boot, but this is a guy who helped perpetuate Sandy Hook conspiracy theories and inflame people against families who've suffered unimaginable torment. And made money in doing so.

No problem with guys like that getting the boot.

If it's conservative-leaning/republican/trump-supporting channels in general I'd be in agreement with you.
🌚

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:33 pm

Seems a bit of both on the centre right and far right, also a few far left ones where hit a couple of weeks ago as well.

Also included where more than a few conspiracy nut channels as well, by that I mean non-political ones as well as political.

Google puts it down to "poor staff training" and that new staff don't have the breath of experience comprehending their exclusion policy's.

:mrgreen: or to put it another way all the new hires are snowflake collage kids so drowning in pious self righteousness their banning all and sundry.

Meanwhile....

In Italy centrist party's get a kicking...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/ ... ction-live

Whilst in Germany Mutter Merkle has lost control of several ministry's to the left as well as including a more right wing CDU minister to secure a fragile coalition government.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/04/worl ... erkel.html

:| the election of France's new Sun God was supposed to stop the rise of populism in the EU, but I somehow doubt that the Hungarian elections in April will suddenly shift to the centre.

Rich Hall.