Food

When the other folders just won't do!
JasonNorin

Re: Food

Post by JasonNorin » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:09 am

sometimes, the unhealthy ones are the tastiest haha!

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:53 pm

I decided to give Five Guys another go and just ordered a small burger and chips since I now know about their portion sizes.

Huge mistake. Even small versions plus a drink came to £12, more than double my usual McDonalds meal that also comes with a dessert. I had to wait ages for them to make up my order and then it just wasn't that good. The burger wasn't awful but it was below average. The chips were bland and unsatisfying. I left feeling very disappointed and very ripped off. I did get a pretty huge amount of chips even for a small portion but I just ended up binning most of them. The music was too loud. The cashier tried to make small talk with me. I'm never going back.

At least the drink was nice - they have some crazy soda machine that can do some weird mixtures. It is the first eating place that I have been to where I could get cherry vanilla diet Coke.

Guinnes1981

Post by Guinnes1981 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:59 pm

I went to a five guys in Florida - it was awesome - though sadly i hear the uk branches don't do the name justice. We have a really good burger joint near us called the East Coast Diner, proper steak mince burgers the size of your head!

I actually really like Nando's, although never tried anything other than half chicken and chips. Their hot sauce is really weedy though - even the black bottle with the red x barely raises a tingle for me.

"I know winning isn't everything, but I thought you'd at least heard of it."

Snaggletooth

Post by Snaggletooth » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:58 pm

Well I prefer my Fish on the raw side but eat it cooked as well, I always found snapper a bit bland, but sea bass is prob my fave cooked fish, outside a nice piece of battered cod.

Had a nice meal out at south lodge in Sussex not so long ago, amazing food there, totally lush.

eddiethehead

Post by eddiethehead » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:49 pm

I was thinking of using Blue Apron sometime, looks pretty neat :)

AbigailMorris

Post by AbigailMorris » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:36 pm

Bilge Rat wrote:I go to McDonalds occasionally and it is awesome. I normally get chicken nuggets but the Big Tasty is very nice too if it is in season.

For most of my life I haven't had access to a KFC but one just opened up near the McDonalds. I found it a bit disappointing though. The chicken is very nice but there wasn't much of it, the chips and beans are pretty terrible and their Krushems aren't nearly as good as McFlurries. Next time I might just try to get a huge bucket of chicken and ignore everything else.
Sometimes fast food is really help, especially when you hurry up! That's why I like to go to McDonald's as well as you :)
If you can’t live without me, why aren’t you dead yet?

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:07 am

Had a BBQ the other night, got some Half-Smoke sausages and Wagyu Burgers from Asda, they were fucking incredible.
MFGamers Twitter
“Let fascism find not even a single passage to power or else that poisonous snake will infiltrate into the every vital corner of the country and kill the future of the nation!” - Mehmet Murat ildan

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:58 pm

So, here's a weird question. What does anyone here know about diets? I've been steadily putting on weight over here, and I'm not obese or anything but I am starting to feel gross. I've Googled diets and low fat foods and what not but being a "picky eater" (Limited fruit and veg, limited cooking skills) I'm struggling to build a varied diet that I can actually stomach and will help me lose weight.

I've done the simple stuff. Stopped eating takeaways, put down the frequent Coke bottles for tea and smoothies instead, starting eating things like cornflakes and Wheatbix for breakfast, started soups, scrambled egg and ham & cheese toasties if I get hungry at lunch (Which is not always) but dinner is much harder to solve.

So, anybody got any suggestions? I've been playing around with learning how to cook spaghetti bolognese, I've been eating cod fillets from Tesco, but I'm out of ideas. All else I've doing is just eating the breakfast at lunch stuff at night as well. Advice, maybe? Any website for diet planning I can checkout that anybody knows about?

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:51 pm

Things like eating the right kinds of foods and having regular meals at certain times of day can make a slight difference but at the end of the day it is all about calories. Figure out the recommended daily intake for your sex and height and then don't eat that many. Many foods now have this right on the front of the packet (with a red marker for high calorie products), so this makes it easier to keep track. Just pay attention to the recommended portion size as well since this is often less than the entirety of the contents.

If you can keep an Excel sheet of everything that you consume then that will help a lot in terms of keeping yourself on track.

Snaggletooth

Post by Snaggletooth » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:47 pm

Living alone I find portion control can be a bit of a nightmare, I try to make the effort to Split all my meat I buiy into single potions and freeze it. veg I'm never as concerned about if I eat more no harm done.

Also I tend to eat lots of rice and have recently started mixing it 50/50 with quinoa as makes dishes considerably more healthy.
Another thing is try to cut down on sauces particularly shop bought ones are loaded with sugars, try using spices to mix things up a bit.

Treat yourself on occasion, Think of maybe Friday or Saturday nights as treat nights if you have been good through the week get something you enjoy as a treat, While I try to stick to healthy eating plans you also got to think everything in moderation.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:56 pm

The only rice dish I know off is egg fried. I honestly don't know what else I would have rice with other than Chinese take out. I'm not very knowledgeable about food

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:21 am

You could do some kind of Jambalaya (Deep South US dish) or Biryani (Indian), they're both rice dishes and essentially involve putting a load of meat, spices and veg into rice and mixing it all in, shouldn't be too hard...microwavable rice is decent these days (just avoid Uncle Bens Mushroom Rice like the plague) but it's difficult if you've limited cooking skills.

You can microwave Chicken, Bacon and Eggs too and cut it in to strips and all that, Omelette's are really easy to make too.

At Uni I started out with Pasta really, you just boil a pot of water, put a bit of salt in and let it simmer for 8-12 minutes, then you buy some shop sauce, heat it in a pan with minced lamb/beef, wack it all together and voila!
MFGamers Twitter
“Let fascism find not even a single passage to power or else that poisonous snake will infiltrate into the every vital corner of the country and kill the future of the nation!” - Mehmet Murat ildan

regemond

Post by regemond » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:07 am

I'd probably say portion control is a big one too, which bilge kind of covered with the calorie intake bit, but it goes a bit further than that.

Whatever portion you'd look at and think 'hmm, that seems like enough', it's probably way less.

Swapping whites for browns can help too - wholewheat rice, wholewheat pasta etc. And don't kick yourself if you're trying to be strict and have a slip up. It's not the end of the world to have the odd cake, just accept it and try to get back on track. Don't let it become a chore or you'll hate it.

Oh and baked salmon, veg and herby new potatoes/rice is a flavoursome, colourful, tasty dish.

Bit of cracked salt and pepper on the fish, wrap it in foil with a little bit of breathing room and into the oven for 22 minutes or so in a pre-heated oven at 200 degrees. Not sure what the equivalent is on gas/fahrenheit ovens...

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:30 am

I have been trying to keep a half-assed food diary and I noticed that the recommended portion size for most cereals is pathetic. The one that I have at the moment has a recommended serving of 45g. I have recently reduced my portion significantly and yet I am still more than double that. 45g is an insanely tiny amount :?

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:09 pm

Your half-ass'd attempt is full full-ass'd than mine. I started looking at calories of things like you guys suggested, but I'm just sort of 'round-abouting it'. As long as I don't go over the 2400 daily amount and throw in an extended walk somewhere, I think that's the best way to go.