Food

When the other folders just won't do!
Blakey

Food

Post by Blakey » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:08 am

This is going to be quite a random post, but I thought I'd put it up anyway.

I think about food quite a lot, I consider myself a connoisseur of fine cuisine but also enjoy filthy junk-food just the same.

I eat at Nando's 3/4/5 times a week for free, and I still can't get enough of that chicken, even after working there quite a while...I bloody love Colonel as well, Fully Loaded Box Meal with the Fillet Burger 'towered' up, Domino's is probably my chosen Pizza place to order from, I like Papa John's and Pizza Hut Delivery but I just have a particular penchant for Domino's, usually get a Mighty meaty (as they took my previous favourite 'Full House' of the menu) included in some kind of deal and eat it with the family.

I almost religiously go to Ronald after work for a late second lunch/early dinner on Mondays, love the Quarter Pounder with Cheese, but recently I've been diving into their Festive menu with their Chicken Winter Warmer and Beef Winter Warmer burgers, very much. Went to Hamburgler for the first time a while the other day as well, not a HUGE fan of BK but their Chicken Royale with Cheese is pretty damn tasty.

The ultimate though, is a nice, big, fat, juicy Doner Kebab. Lettuce, Onion, Chilli's, Burger Sauce, Naan Bread, absolute heaven (especially after night out).

When I pop my Australia trip blog/thread post up in March you'll all see how filthy the food is that I eat, god I love filth :lol:

Anyone else got any other thoughts/suggestions?

sleepery jeem

Re: Food

Post by sleepery jeem » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:09 am

Well personally I have to say with some pride (and a little smug superiority) that I've only had a MacDonald's once in my life, and aside from a KFC twice when on holiday abroad the only fast food I partake of is a blood pudding supper once a month or so.

Just the way I was raised I suppose (country lad), I just used to making my meals from scratch....hmm mine you it would mean more gaming time if I went down the fast food route....food for thought boom boom :wink:

As for your trip down under, I remember Billy Connelly enjoying a "pie floater" in Sydney so that's one to keep an eye out for aside from that we do of course expect you to eat the standard kangaroo burger or steak etc.
Capitalism is a bad name for a good thing.

Edward Lucas.

retro74

Post by retro74 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:46 am

Very rarely have fast food but I do love a Subway, despite everyone seeming to think they are minging

Love KFC too but only had one in the last 2 years

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:21 pm

I go to McDonalds occasionally and it is awesome. I normally get chicken nuggets but the Big Tasty is very nice too if it is in season.

For most of my life I haven't had access to a KFC but one just opened up near the McDonalds. I found it a bit disappointing though. The chicken is very nice but there wasn't much of it, the chips and beans are pretty terrible and their Krushems aren't nearly as good as McFlurries. Next time I might just try to get a huge bucket of chicken and ignore everything else.

Snaggletooth

Post by Snaggletooth » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:44 pm

Not big on fast food here, though it serves a purpose from time to time, I try to keep a balanced diet which isn't always easy cooking for 1, but make quite a lot of things and freeze them off in batches.

Always try to make sure get some veg on a daily basis and despite loving it not to much red meat, Fortunately I'm not bad in the kitchen,make loads of food from scratch from curries to Plenty of Japanese dishes, in the winter lots of nice comfort food.

If I am eating out I'd sooner go to a noodle bar over a fast food chain, guess pretty spoilt for choice in Brighton though.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:36 pm

Pancakes

Mr Marvellous

Post by Mr Marvellous » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:48 am

Only real take out I get is Pizza and then it's only from one specific shop with the rather excellant bane if Takin The Pizza, it's the best pizza I've ever had a mile ahead of usual take away fodder.

Never being that much of a McD fan, think last one I had was in 2002 when I was in Florida they just don't do it for me, same with BK. Dominos and Pizza Hut I think are disgusting they use way way to much salt, KFC you can get a decent coated chicken from many a supermarket.

I do really miss dining out though in proper restaurants, we used to several times a month but now that I have my back issues can't really sit comfortable at the table to enjoy a meal.

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:47 am

You've all got pretty decent diets by the sounds of it then!

@Jeem, I will try to try some local specialities when I go to Oz, never tries Alligator, Kangaroo or anything like that! Love a bit of Swordfish though, but that's not really an Aussie speciality...

@Snaggle, had no idea you lived in Brighton, such a cool place, a few of my mates used to go to Uni there so I'd pop down quite a bit, Coalition on Mondays?! Lol, I went to the Marina the last time I was there and absolutely loved it, such a cool vibe, and such a cool city.

@Maf, I love me some Pancakes too but there's no decent US Diners near me that does decent ones unfortunately, so it means I rarely get them, I prefer French Toast anyway though, but Pancakes are incredible.

@Rat, the Big Tasty is indeed incredible, I always have to take the tomato out though (not a fan) but the rest of the Burger is sensational, I'm also a big fan of the BCO McDs do in the Summer usually.

@Retro, Subway is pretty cool too, I usually get an Italian BMT 6-inch on Italian Herb and Cheese Bread, Olives, Red Onions, Gherkin and Lettuce, bloody brilliant, always feels healthier than the other fast food options out there too.

I do go out for sit down meals quite alot as well, just this week I've been to a Marston's GastroPub, Zizzi's and went for a Curry at one of my locals (there's like 8 different Indian restaurants where I live, it's AWESOME) and I ate with my family at Work on Christmas Eve.

I'm not sure what it's called but Prezzo do this awesome Pizza as well, it's with Chicken and Rosemary and stuff, probably the best pizza at one of those chain Italian restaurants really.

Guinnes1981

Post by Guinnes1981 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:28 pm

Food's my thing - absolutely love it. Sadly since the kids arrived, haven't gone out much, but we're lucky that there are some excellent places to eat in Suffolk. Love cooking too. Yesterday had some friends over and made roast duck with a port gravy with dauphinoise potatoes, followed by home made key lime pie.

Eaten at a few michelin star restaurants, one of Gordon Ramsey's restaurants (Pétrus) and one in Belgium that i can't remember the name of, but love junk food as well.

All time favourite food - a good burger. None of this Mackie D's shite, a good fat, juicy, well seasoned home made bastard straight off the bbq! I do a mean pork and apple burger with caramalised onions that always goes down a storm.

"I know winning isn't everything, but I thought you'd at least heard of it."

RYAN WHITELAW

Post by RYAN WHITELAW » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:31 pm

I love food.

But i cant eat vegetables. Seriously, just cant do it. Been this way my entire life.
Yum. Mince.

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:48 pm

Incredibly jealous of you going to Pètrus, Guinnes, I'd love to go somewhere like that but just never bothered really, I heard Nobu is amazing in London to but again I've never made the effort.

Heston Blumenthal's restaurant "The Fat Duck" is about 40 minutes away from me, and I'd love to try the 10 meal tasting menu they do there.

And going from the sublime to the filthy....got a kebab delivered for the first time the other night on just eat, got it X-Large and god damn it was HUGE, finished about 3/4 of it and gave the rest to my dogs :lol: the Donner meat was decent and the Naan underneath was nice and soft.

Also ate out at Pizza Express on NYE, very dissappointed. Got Four Seasons Pizza and it was burnt and had hardly any toppings on it, also went to Zizzi's a couple weeks ago and the Bruschetta I had there was so damn shite it wasn't even funny, like 5 tomatos on 1 tiny little bit of Ciabatta for like £5-£6, so overpriced.

Guinnes1981

Post by Guinnes1981 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:39 pm

You should definitely hit a top end restaurant, really is quite the experience. We we're worried it might be a bit too stuck up for us, but the service was impeccable. I think that the staff probably preferred us as we weren't rich bankers - we had a table of Australians next to us arguing which Ferarri was better, and saying f**k a lot - was quite entertaining :lol:

"I know winning isn't everything, but I thought you'd at least heard of it."

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:27 pm

I went to Nando's for the first time and wasn't particularly impressed. I don't get why people rave about that place.

They also just opened a Five Guys burger place near me. I had a look in there tonight and they were charging £8 for a burger and £5 for fries :shock:

Why open up so near to a McDonald's when you are charging three times as much? :?

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:42 pm

Some things on the Nando's menu are better than others, but I think it's all pretty decent. I love the 1/2 Chicken Mango & Lime with a side salad and garlic bread, yet to be dissappointed, also love the Double Chicken Pitta on occasions, had the Butterfly chicken and 1/4 Chicken before too which is decent too although you don't get a lot of Chicken on the 1/4 Chicken, I don't pay for my Nando's though and I'm obviously biased..

Also, those Burgers and Chips in Five Guys are a bit of a misnomer really, the Burger is actually this ridiculous sized double-patty beast and the Chips are a whole bag full of chips (no joke) it is absolutely ridiculous and only after we ordered did we release how much food we'd got :lol:

You can also get any topping you want onto the Burger, I didn't realise this when I went to order and hurrendly ordered HP Sauce on it thinking it was Burger Sauce for reasons I'm still not sure of :lol:

Best thing to do in there is get the small cheeseburger (which is the size of a normal burger) and a bag of chips between 2/3 of you, I didn't think too much of it last time I went but I accidently put Brown Sauce on my Burger there so that's no surprise really :lol: :lol: :lol: you also get free Peanuts in there, but yeah, can't say I'd rush to go back...give me a Nando's, Wagamama! instead anyday.

Went to Yo Sushi! For the first time the other day and had the Teriyaki Chicken with Rice in a Ramen Bowl, was absolutely delicious I must say but a little pricey for £8, kinda wished I'd tried the Sushi but with this cold weather I fancied something hot.

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:52 am

Anyone on here big into fish, are Snapper and Sea Bass nice?