last movie you watched

When the other folders just won't do!
maf-me-quick

Re: last movie you watched

Post by maf-me-quick » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:59 pm

I think I'm surprised by the Tomb Raider trailer? It seems a little, I don't know, light weight? Like a bit more action driven than character driven? But I am quite surprised about faithful they seem to be to the reboot. Which for me is the only version of the Tomb Raider series I've really loved.

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:31 am

Edge of Seventeen

I thought this was going to be a knockabout teen comedy starring Haille Seinfeld, Blake Jenner and Woody Harrleson. However it turned out to be a downbeat coming of age drama as a broken family cope with the loss of their husband/father.

It was pretty good overall.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:52 pm

Another dead daddy in this one...

A Letter to Momo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4KLGfBb_3M

The last time Momo saw her father they had a fight - and now all she has left to remember him by is an incomplete letter, a blank piece of paper penned with the words "Dear Momo" but nothing more.

Moving with her mother to the remote Japanese island of Shio, Momo soon discovers three yokai living in her attic, a trio of mischievous spirit creatures that only she can see and who create mayhem in the tiny seaside community as she tries desperately to keep them hidden.

:) remember posting about this ages back so it was a nice surprise to find Viceland ( https://www.viceland.com/en_uk/ ) showing it (its on again tonight).

Whilst not really up to Ghibli standards it was rather good, nice clean animation with a sad but life affirming story.

My only complaint was that the English dub made the Yokai hard to understand at times other than that a solid 8/10.
"Make the Left Hate again"

Paolo Gerbaodo : Kings College London.

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:47 am

Passengers (Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence, Michael Sheen)

A hibernation pod malfunctions 30 years into a 120 year journey to a new planet, meaning one man is bored, awake and alone on a spaceship carrying a still sleeping 300 crew and 5000 passengers.

So (avoiding spoilers) he eventually finds a companion, and then the film drags itself through some implausible drama, a surprise cameo appearance, to a quite unsatisfying conclusion.

regemond

Post by regemond » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:02 am

I liked Passengers, I just wished they'd been braver with the ending.

Avoiding spoilers, I'd have preferred them to take the exact opposite option to what they actually did.

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:22 pm

This post is about something a bit different. I just stumbled upon this but I was pleasantly surprised at how entertaining and well-put-together it was so I wanted to share it.

Technically this is a YouTube video rather than a commercial movie but it has over a million views, is 85 minutes long and is laid out just like a proper documentary so I am counting it. 'Troll Champion: The Charlie Zelenoff Story' tells the true story of a 147-0 boxer who is the greatest fighter in the world. This must be true because he says so, and absolutely no amount of evidence, logic or being punched in the face will convince him otherwise.

He starts off small by paying random guys at gyms to be filmed to 'spar' with him and then slugging them in the face as hard as he can to cause them to shout "what the hell?" and get the heck away from him. In Zelenoff's mind this constitutes a win by knockout. From there he builds up to informal mini matches against retired professionals so that he can edit the footage to show all of his cheap shots and none of his running away and calling for time-outs. By the end he is throwing out racist remarks and death threats to goad active boxers into fighting him so that he can claim a win by DQ when they try to hit him as he is running out of the ring.

This guy is just insane but I found the documentary very entertaining and was impressed at the overall quality. Much of the video footage is awful because of the original source but the commentary and editing really brings everything together. I guess watching the story of an asshole thug acting like a moron isn't for everyone but the conclusion is certainly satisfying. If the concept sounds appealing to anyone then I definitely recommend that you check it out.

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:04 am

Saw It the other night.

Absolutely loved it.

It really reminded me of Stranger Things in particular but there were some similarities with The Goonies, ET, Super 8 etc. too I felt, huge Spielberg vibes throughout.

It didn't really scare me though and once I'd seen Pennywise enough he didn't shock me at all, but some of the dream sequences like the blood-in-the-drain were really nicely done.

The sewer scene with Pennywise right at the beginning of the film was rather shocking too,

seeing that kid with his arm bitten off bleeding in the middle of the street was pretty damn dark.

Them going deep into the well at the end gave me strong Goonies vibes and reminded me of the finale of True Detective season 1 a bit too, it's nice how they left things off and open for the sequel in 2019 too.

So yeah, having never read the book but hearing nothing but good things about that and this film it definitely lived up to the hype, definitely one of my films of the year and deserves all the plaudits its been getting in my view.

Saw Passengers on Sky too.

Like a space Titanic really, I think that's what they were aiming for but lots of the second half of the film boredom sets in and the plot relies on the cliched CGI explosions too much.

I really like Chris Pratt and J-Law as actors so they definitely elevated the film about a 'meh' to a 'worth a watch' for me, but yeah, it is rather boring at times and goes on way longer than it should do but it's not a bad throwaway popcorn flick.
MFGamers Twitter
“Let fascism find not even a single passage to power or else that poisonous snake will infiltrate into the every vital corner of the country and kill the future of the nation!” - Mehmet Murat ildan

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:42 am

Bang on trend, I'm off to the cinema later on to watch....

Spiderman Homecoming

Its about 3 months since Maf first watched it and I was surprised it was still on, but read that the DVD isn't out in the UK until end of Nov, and Mrs S wanted to watch this before Thor Ragnorok which is out soon.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:51 pm

C'mon, Spider-Man!

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:29 pm

Sonic the Hedgehog’s Live-Action And CGI Hybrid Movie Will Now Be Produced by Paramount

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2017/10/03/so ... GCpQvbj.99
"Make the Left Hate again"

Paolo Gerbaodo : Kings College London.

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:58 pm

maf-me-quick wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:51 pm
C'mon, Spider-Man!
Indeed, it was very enjoyable, even had 'Batman' in it too.

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:07 am

Bladerunner 2049 at BFI IMAX

Very good but I made the rookie mistake of booking my tickets very late so I was at the front and to the right of the cinema watching at an angle. Not a good cinema experience. But that screen sure is fucking huge so I will surely be back at some point.

It's a really long film and if I knew how long it was going to be I definitely would not have made the trek on a weeknight. It looks and sounds great but somehow is less expansive and impressive than the original. You get to see outside of Los Angeles but you don't get to see a lot of the city this time. It doesn't have that feeling of being a future dystopia that you can easily imagine which is what makes Bladerunner 2019 so incredible. But I'd really need to see this on a small screen to compare (or see Bladerunner 2019 on a big screen).

It asks the same kinds of questions as the first film and resolves about as much (eg, not much at all). I might say that I was more into Gosling's arc in this than anything with Deckard in the original film, but the actual plotting is a bit confusing and has too many players. I came out a bit worried that there was going to be a sequel which is not really something I'd want to see for Bladerunner. Cinematic universes are so unsatisfying and this film's ending feels less like an ambigious sort of closure like the original had and more of an ellipsis where they might launch off another film (or two).

One thing I'll say is if you're a big Harrison Ford fan you might be a bit frustrated. If you're a big Gosling fan well I don't know, the existential musings might alienate you a bit. It's a very Drive kind of performance by Gosling.

Jared Leto is shite lol but he's not a big presence. Actually his role was originally supposed to be for David Bowie so it helps that he basically plays an alien* in this film, not much need to actually perform with great range.

*That's not a spoiler, he's not actually an alien but behaves like one.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:25 am

Never seen Bladerunner no plans on seeing this one.

Wonder Woman however...is another film I actually want to see and have not seen it

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:12 am

You should go check out Bladerunner. The old one.

You probably won't like it but you should check it out.

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:42 pm

Bladerunner is weird and boring.