The Rant Thread

When the other folders just won't do!
James

The Rant Thread

Post by James » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:32 pm

Got something on your chest? Well this is the place to get it off, like Hactos, only it tastes a lot better. Subjects brought up here could be made into their own discussion threads but just feel free to rant about anything that’s bugging you at the moment. Let me get things started...

Acceptable Racism – bad comments about Black and Middle Eastern people are considered very offensive, but rude jibes against Chinese, South Americans, Eastern Europeans etc. are somehow ok with a majority of the British public.

The UK Anime/Manga Scene – not only are the blind leading the blind, most of them seem to be competing against each other for title of "Grand Elder Blindest" too. Never have I met fans with such an "elitist" complex going on which only goes against them in the long run.

Rival Stores – I purchase a PC game for a mere £14.99 in HMV and five minuets later see the exact same game for just £1.99 in Virgin. The same can be said for films and books, though I wouldn’t mind so much if the difference was just a few pounds but that much? Don’t the market researchers look into this?

On-Line Names – ok, I admit it, we can be someone different on the net but what on earth is it with single people calling themselves names like "hot-babeâ€

James

Post by James » Thu May 11, 2006 5:36 pm

I don’t know if this is possible but perhaps this recent heat epidemic has somehow cooled my usually fiery temper and, for the time being, I’m no longer angry at as much things as I used to be but just for old times…

People Who Can't Fill Application Forms – fair enough there are some forms out there that read like a complex explanation to the meaning of the universe but when it comes to not being able to write their own name or full date of birth it gets depressing. I work with a large database of almost every person living in the UK but how the heck am I supposed to find out their details when all they give me is something like “John Smith, born in Englandâ€

Ben

Post by Ben » Thu May 11, 2006 6:22 pm

"The UK Anime/Manga Scene – not only are the blind leading the blind, most of them seem to be competing against each other for title of "Grand Elder Blindest" too. Never have I met fans with such an "elitist" complex going on which only goes against them in the long run."

Can you explain this one, I dont get it? Do you just mean that we dont get enough anime over here, so arguing over what's best is pointless because we're missing out on the best stuff?

simonsta

Post by simonsta » Thu May 11, 2006 8:54 pm

i think no one has replied because we all do a lot of complaining on other threads!
Well if you want to know what annoys me, just people who judge you before they know you i guess. everyone has had it done, and it pisses me off.

oh yeah and how everything has to be pc, ok to prevent racism, fine. But calling Brainstorms mind showers now because people who are epilectic are offended, i mean what the hell, since when has anyone used that pharse in a pajoritive sense???
Now this wasn't what he expected: a Utopian society full of Nazis with pink bobblehats and swollen, bright children full of tiny insects that could teleport, whose statues should provoke world peace instead of simply spreading jam over Robert Downey Jr.

James

Re:

Post by James » Thu May 11, 2006 9:25 pm

simonsta wrote:calling Brainstorms mind showers now because people who are epilectic are offended, i mean what the hell, since when has anyone used that pharse in a pajoritive sense???
Serious? They've changed it because of that? Oh man! :?

James

Re:

Post by James » Thu May 11, 2006 9:42 pm

Ben wrote:"The UK Anime/Manga Scene – not only are the blind leading the blind, most of them seem to be competing against each other for title of "Grand Elder Blindest" too. Never have I met fans with such an "elitist" complex going on which only goes against them in the long run."

Can you explain this one, I dont get it? Do you just mean that we dont get enough anime over here, so arguing over what's best is pointless because we're missing out on the best stuff?
Sort of...I think I mentioned this back in the "Other Interests" thread...how some UK fans seem to have this snobbish factor and tend to act aloof towards others which is really going against them. It seems like every other teenager who watches an episode of Bleach will go around claiming to be the all knowing source of wisdom on Japanese culture, lifestyle, language etc. to the point of other fans competing with each other.

These people then preach nonsense to others who in turn get sucked in to being stupid. Case in point one anime convention I went to had some teenage brat loudly proclaim than all adults in Japan have sexual desires towards children on the basis that he had an idea from some obscure anime he saw. Despite this being pure nonsense, other teenagers actually went on to argue with him about exact facts and figures, with each kid claiming to "know someone working in some office in Japan" who had access to this fictional information.

In the end I think they all agreed that yes, all adults in Japan have sexual desires towards children because someone knew a neighbour who had a friend who once visited a Japanese airport...oh...and some kid watched a hentai flick so damn, it must be true!

Chinzon

Post by Chinzon » Fri May 12, 2006 12:28 am

Machoism: Why do men (predominantly 25-40, but could be one of any age) feel the constant need to be louder/bigger/better/harder/more intimidating/more of a bigot than other men? Football fans are the worst (sorry but you are), so blinded by irrational "love" for an arbitrary team that you can't understand another's irrational love for another arbitrary team. Sometimes to the point where they literally kill each other. Brilliant. And what's with guys who try to prove that they're the shit by consuming mind-altering substances (alcohol, cannabis, ecstasy, whatever) until they're no longer in control of their own faculties? Why would you do that?

Gemini-Phoenix

Post by Gemini-Phoenix » Fri May 12, 2006 2:42 am

Being ID'ed: Despite being 25, I seem to appear to look under 18. Some may say this is a god-send, but it becomes very annoying after a while, having to get out ID every five bloody minutes. Ironically, when I was 17, I never had any trouble. Go figure.

eBay sellers who skank you on postage: My biggest hate. eBay sellers who charge you nearly £3.00 for P&P, and then send you a game second class in a pre-used Jiffy bag. I recently had a major eBay dealer send me a copy of "24 LE" wrapped in nothing but the carrier bag it came in, and an old magazine. Needless to say, it arrived dented to hell.

Tabloid "News": Tabloids are full of what they call "News" when in fact it is full of very little actual "News". They are more concerned in what the latest "In-person" is doing, rather than reporting things that are actually informative. Who gives a flying F*** what David Beckham had for lunch. Any one notice how the papers are just full of that new England wonder-kid at the moment? Makes a change from Michael Jackson and the Royal Family I guess...

The World Cup fever: Big deal. It happens once evey four years, and to be honest, is nothing really special. Why it brings whole countries to a stand-still I do not know. And every time we go through all teh same old crap "Will they, won't they..." scenario, and yet we always seem to expect to actually win the tournament, and get disappointed when we don't as if it was written in stone or something that we have to win.
Last edited by Gemini-Phoenix on Fri May 12, 2006 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Hyponotoad

Post by The Hyponotoad » Fri May 12, 2006 11:18 am

People who drive 40mph on a motorway, then 40mph on an A road, then 80mph through a school zone, WHHHHHHHHHHHY!!!?
No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible

the_13est

Post by the_13est » Fri May 12, 2006 4:14 pm

One of the most useful threads created.

Nintendo Wii Bashing
Just becase the PS3 and X360 are in the lead with anticipation and graphics dosn't mean the Wii is going to be bad. I reckon it will be a successful, fun to play and fluent games console. If it's anything like the Gamecube then it might fall short, but with the new DS Lite becoming something very useful and imaginative, the wii will probably follow in it't footsteps. I'm fed up of people describing as a "toaster" or what not. If you don't want one, don't buuy one. But don't diss it until you have purchased one and played it.
Im certainly buying it.

Homophobia
People should be able to love and feel special with whomever they please. It's exactly the same as racism. They are being discriminated for being different. Racism is a big NO-NO now and you can be arrested. If you utter the word "White bastard", " Nigger", "Chink" and the other pathetic stereotypical words you could become seriously stereotyped yourself as a "racist fool". But calling a woman a dirty lesbian, a man a disgusting poof or a transexxual an alien, that's fine. I hate it with a passion, people should live how they want to live. Not under some homophobic hooligan's rules.

PLAY magazine
There's nothing worse than reading a magazine plainly for PS3 news and finding every paragraph boasing about how utterly amazing the PS3 is going to be and how rubbish and dull the other consoles are. I can't wait to see what they have to say when they find out it'll sell less than the 360. But, im not going to undermine the Playstation because of them. Heck, im looking forward to it than any other next-gen title.

Their, ranting over. Thanks James. :wink:

James

Re:

Post by James » Fri May 12, 2006 4:22 pm

the_13est wrote:One of the most useful threads created.

Their, ranting over. Thanks James. :wink:
No worries dude...let it out whenever. What the others don't know is that their anger feeds my life force, sort of Sith Lord like…

James

Post by James » Sat May 13, 2006 12:05 pm

Well so much for the great calm of 2006...

Teenagers – we were/are one of them at some point in time but is it just me or are modern teenagers total assholes? There are these kids where I live, who whenever I pass them in the street, seem to think that it’s cool to scream and swear at the top of their lungs. I have no idea of the reason for this and presume it’s directed at me since they never do it to anyone else but what the heck can I do? Beating them is illegal, talking to them is a crime, the little bastards just seem to be able to get away with being little bastards time after time.

Suggestions?

simonsta

Re:

Post by simonsta » Sat May 13, 2006 12:56 pm

James wrote:Well so much for the great calm of 2006...

Teenagers – we were/are one of them at some point in time but is it just me or are modern teenagers total assholes? ....

Suggestions?
Im a teenager but i can safely say im not like that. I think you might be thinking more of chav teenagers, theyre a pet hate of mine too, but i think your not right to include the entire teenage poplualtion, im sure you did go around screaming at the top of your lungs. If they keep doing it then just shout back...
Now this wasn't what he expected: a Utopian society full of Nazis with pink bobblehats and swollen, bright children full of tiny insects that could teleport, whose statues should provoke world peace instead of simply spreading jam over Robert Downey Jr.

James

Re:

Post by James » Sat May 13, 2006 1:17 pm

simonsta wrote: im sure you did go around screaming at the top of your lungs...
Trust me, if I had done that then I wouldn't have lived to see adulthood. I didn't do it then and I certainly won't be doing it now. I'm going to sound like an old git now but damn, kids get away with murder these days.

Your right though, I didn't intend to include ALL teenagers in my rant, such is the power of the "some" word. Leave it out and it paints an entirely different picture. Some teenagers are alright, some are total idots. A bit like everyone else really.

simonsta

Re:

Post by simonsta » Sat May 13, 2006 1:44 pm

James wrote:
simonsta wrote: im sure you did go around screaming at the top of your lungs...
Trust me, if I had done that then I wouldn't have lived to see adulthood. I didn't do it then and I certainly won't be doing it now. I'm going to sound like an old git now but damn, kids get away with murder these days.

Your right though, I didn't intend to include ALL teenagers in my rant, such is the power of the "some" word. Leave it out and it paints an entirely different picture. Some teenagers are alright, some are total idots. A bit like everyone else really.

sorry james i owe you an apology i actually intended to i say "im sure you didn't go around screaming at the top of your lungs" that i think would have made more sense with what i was saying, so i apologise again. Yeah i think we as as a nation, well every nation have their own share of idiots of all ages.

Ido agree, i as a teenager, feel we go get away with a lot more stuff than the teenagers of yester-year. but im sure the previous generation before oyu said the same thing, and no doubt when im older, i will be complaining about it too, but i think thats the way it goes i think.

But anyway i know what else annoys me now....

People who complain things broke by themselves even thought they evidently did it

This will take a little explination, i work in a spectacle shop(i wont say which one in case i somehow get into trouble), i get people who come in, with bent/broken glasses who say things like "i was driving along, and then my glasses just suddenley bent and broke for no reason"

After shooting a few incredulous looks,i ask if they jsut might have been sat on or some other reasonable explination(a lot of people do sit on their glasses so its a reasonable suggestion). But still they are sure they managed to break all normal applicable physics and transition metal entropy. They then expect free replacements, if we cannot fix them of course, luckily we can a majority of the time. but im sure there are loads of shops where "this vase was already smashed when i got it" and "I opened the box and my ps2 already had this screw driver driven through the machine" whats wrong with people that they feel they have to make some really weak excuses to try con some shop into giving free replacements???