Anime/Manga

When the other folders just won't do!
Snaggletooth

Post by Snaggletooth » Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:14 am

nice thread 8)

Anime -

As well as all your suggestions which are all great (my personal fave miziyaki film is castle in the sky).

Also love -

Dead leaves which was produced by the same team as ghost in the shell
Ninja scroll - classic 80's anime with a touch of violence :D
Hellsing - a nice short series
Perfect Blue A great thriller, better than most stuff that comes out of hollywood
Excel SagaInsanely funny and stupid series, very over the top.
ChobbitsVery light hearted anime, nice easy watching.
Fist of the Northstar ONE HUNDRED CRACK FIST OF THE NORTH STAR...

Manga

Pet shop of Horrors
Trigun
prince of tennis

killerangel

Post by killerangel » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:42 am

hmmmm i dnt know what u guys r talkin about.i can draw anime.pretty good too.but no draws better than sandra.ahem no regular kid.anyway im not really exposed to manga.i only have captain tsubasa(its my bros)half of yu-gi-oh the movie n...sailer moon in german on casset(lol)i recorded it off the radio.
Last edited by killerangel on Tue May 02, 2006 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eggshells dripping with green goop.

RivaOni

Post by RivaOni » Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:45 pm

Anime is the animation, Manga are the books you can buy. Although I've always thought that was a bit wierd with Manga also being a publisher of Anime (and some Music actually, check out Mad Capsule Markets)

Adamski

Post by Adamski » Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:50 pm

If you hadnt guessed already I'm a fan of Super robot/Mecha anime from the 70s/80s to now really. I'm big fan of the ones that came from what is considered the best period for these shows which is the 80s. Lets get one thing clear I'm not the biggest expert on this stuff, but I do know enough to get by, and also know what I like best. The 70s/80s period though really is considered to be the best period for Mecha shows although there have been plenty of note recently the best are still from this time.

I do have to admit though I'm a bigger fan of the even earlier stuff from the 70s myself aswell. This stuff may be way too quirky and corny for most, but I just love the style and humour from then. Especially Go Nagais work from as early as 1970 Getter robo, Grendizer, Mazinger Z and later MazinKaiser in 1980. These shows are considered the first mecha shows and are said to have kick started all Mecha shows and still influence all Animes of this type to this day. There would have been no Transformers had it not been for the likes of Go Nagais early super robots.

In the 80s though tastes then moved and the real robot style of the Gundams rose in popularity. I do like this but I'm not a major fan and much prefer the lesser known stuff from the time. Things such as Aura Battler Dunbine, Heavy Metal L Gaim, Escaflowne and Fafner which was an early Anime from the Neon Evangelion creator. Which I also like.

I'm also waiting on delivery of another seminal 80s show Gunbuster hopefully this will be with me shortly and is considered a classic with good mix of old and new styles from when the tastes shifted. Also another more recent classic though is the Super robot Wars Original generation . Which is a superb animation really, and features all the Mecha which were designed by Banpresto and are used in the Super Robot Wars games.

I could waffle on all day about this stuff and there's loads more i could mention. Like I said though I'm no expert though, but I know which style I like and there alot more dedicated fans than me. I like my animes with plenty of visceral <Mecha> action with a good bit of style and depth thrown in from the 80s stuff, but I have to admit though the humour of the earlier stuff wins the day for me. Except for the Super robot Wars OG anime.
Last edited by Adamski on Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rich

Post by Rich » Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:47 pm

Will someone help me decide which to get Barefoot Gen or Grave of the Fireflies

also does anyone remember one called something along the lines of Neya Vs The Dragon King. Had it on video as a kid and I loved it... Think it was really popular in Russia of all places....

Dark_Knight

Post by Dark_Knight » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:49 pm

I used to watch a fair amount of anime when I was a teenager, but have slowly lost interest, the last anime I watched was Hellsing a couple of years ago.
However one of my all time favourites was the Guyver series although it was only 12 episodes long and ended a bit abruptly. I was never able to get hold of the manga either.
I have just found out though there is a new Guyver anime but it has only been shown in Japan so far, and there is now news on an English release:
Last edited by Dark_Knight on Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

James

Re:

Post by James » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:49 pm

Rich wrote:Will someone help me decide which to get Barefoot Gen or Grave of the Fireflies
I'd say get BOTH of them! They're two thought provoking animes that offer us an insight into the struggles of Japanese life during the second world war, an insight that Hollywood dare not touch thank goodness.

But if your going for overall quality then get Grave of the Fireflies but be warned, it's a very emotional film, it can reduce me to tears within the first few minuets and I hope the live action version will have the same effect. A very powerful anime indeed.

James

Re:

Post by James » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:52 pm

Dark_Knight wrote:However one of my all time favourites was the Guyver series although it was only 12 episodes long and ended on a cliffhanger. I was never able to get hold of the manga either.
I have just found out though there is a new Guyver anime but it has only been shown in Japan so far, and there is now news on an English release
A NEW GUYVER?!?!?

I'm there dude! I freaking loved the old series! :D

Rich

Re:

Post by Rich » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:59 pm

James wrote:
Rich wrote:Will someone help me decide which to get Barefoot Gen or Grave of the Fireflies
I'd say get BOTH of them!
Argh! I knew that'd be the case... Plus they're both £10 in HMV as well...

Also, though it's not exactly Manga, does anyone know if Mysterious Cities of Gold is coming out on DVD anytime?

simonsta

Post by simonsta » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:16 pm

yes to ghost in the shell and ninja scrolls

gundam wing is a classic and so is naruto

has anyone here heard of gantz??? its a must see its really wierd but its sooooo gud

iv heard of guyvor, is it any good???
Now this wasn't what he expected: a Utopian society full of Nazis with pink bobblehats and swollen, bright children full of tiny insects that could teleport, whose statues should provoke world peace instead of simply spreading jam over Robert Downey Jr.

James

Post by James » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:47 pm

GUYVER UPDATE

I've just watched the first episode of the new series and so far so good. Nowhere near as violent or dark as the original and some of the characters have been tweeked to fit in with more "mainstream" roles which could let the show down but apart from that, I'm looking forward to some more.

Ben

Re:

Post by Ben » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:08 pm

simonsta wrote:yes to ghost in the shell and ninja scrolls

gundam wing is a classic and so is naruto

has anyone here heard of gantz??? its a must see its really wierd but its sooooo gud

iv heard of guyvor, is it any good???
I've got a bit of a love/hate thing going on with Gantz at the moment. I've been watching it with the english dub and it's just horrible, any subtlety of the japanese version has been completely lost. The manga's gone a bit too stupid too, but when it's good, there really isnt anything else like it.

Everything Ghost in the shell related has been superb too, especially the 2nd film.

I love Berserk and Hellsing, both the mangas and the anime. I also agree that you should watch both Barefoot Gen and Grave of the fireflies, great films

the_hellion

Post by the_hellion » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:02 am

I've got ones word to say after these 8. BLEACH
Heh heh , You sure are an ugly fella ?

wholehole

Post by wholehole » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:37 am

YEAH, don't forget Bleach! That show kicks serious ass!

I'm pretty much liking all of the Animes and Mangas listed on this page as well as:

Samurai Champloo
Full Metal Alchemist
Gun X Sword
Monster

The Battle Royal manga is pretty good as well.

Snaggletooth

Post by Snaggletooth » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:33 pm

I finally got round to buying Dirty Pair Flash. Must say i'm quite impressed with that series, even though it shows its age a bit now.