Scottish Neverendum

When the other folders just won't do!
shinymcshine

Re: Scottish Neverendum

Post by shinymcshine » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:50 pm

Sounds like they don't want the rule of Westminster but will be happy with the rule of Brussels :?

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:18 pm

I know which I'd rather!

If I had the chance to potentially get my EU Citizenship back I'd take it with both hands, hope the Scots get Independence this time around.

No idea why any would wanna stick around with Westminster.
Southampton F.C. 2015-16 Europa League Group Stages
Southampton F.C. 2011-12 Npower Championship Promotion|WE ARE PREMIER LEAGUE
Southampton F.C. 2010-11 Npower League 1 Promotion
MFGamers Twitter

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:27 pm

Didn't I read something about some EU minister wanting to sell EU memberships ?.

Oh and I hope not.
Capitalism is a bad name for a good thing.

Edward Lucas.

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:29 pm

One said he wanted a way to keep British remainders EU citizenship and an annual fee would be a way to do it.

Just comments though, don't believe the guy who said it was high up in the echelons of congress either.

Doesn't mean anything will happen, all that's a long way off I feel. Depends how much hard ball the Wicked Witch plays with the EU during the Brexit negotiations I'd imagine.

Think it's a great idea myself, go abroad a couple of times a year so would be worth it for the EU healthcare alone for me.
Southampton F.C. 2015-16 Europa League Group Stages
Southampton F.C. 2011-12 Npower Championship Promotion|WE ARE PREMIER LEAGUE
Southampton F.C. 2010-11 Npower League 1 Promotion
MFGamers Twitter

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:53 pm

One-armed dwarf wrote:From the outside looking in it seems an emotional response from the 'bremainers' compared with the 'rational' position they took during EU ref, but I don't know anything about Scotland other than golf and haggis.

But I guess by 2019 the questions of the common travel area between Ireland and UK and the EU land border in NI will have been already answered and that could become an important talking point for either side depending on how it goes.

Now this is a rather interesting one, a few weeks ago I read that some bright spark reporter in Dublin had contacted the EU border enforcement agency/ legal division etc. concerning the Irish border.

Seems the Agency was preparing contingency plans in the event of Brexit to form a regulated 'Hard' border purely for the legal enforcement of trade and security treaty's.

Apparently Ireland will be legally obliged to set up the border by EU law, not completely sure of all the facts on this one but as far as I can remember the reason we have this 'Soft' border just now is because of EU backing to the Stormont agreement to end (sort of if you turn a blind eye to the drugs and beatings) to the 'troubles'.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -agreement

What interested me that in the event (disaster) of independence, and the even more unlikely event of Scotland being allowed back into the EU (not if Spain and Belgium have anything to say about it) Scotland would by the same law have to set up a Hard border just to join up.

Oh and the economic arguments this time around are even worse, Scotland does 14% of trade with the EU but 70% trade with the UK.

We employ more people in the public sector here (per head of population) than the rest of the UK.

Our public sector spending deficit will equal the hole Greece is in, and will require cuts just as drastic just to meet EU standards to join.

:roll: its best summed up by the SNP themselves who stated that yes they did fudge the figures to make Scotland look like the land of milk and honey but though they lost the last on the economics their not bothered as this time round it will be won by the heart.

:|

Edward Lucas.

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:58 pm

sleepery jeem wrote:Didn't I read something about some EU minister wanting to sell EU memberships ?
Jesus, Qatar will be the next EU member state :shock:

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:38 pm

Theresa May has rejected Nicola Sturgeon’s timeframe for a second Scottish independence referendum, declaring “now is not the time” for a new vote while the UK navigates Brexit.

http://news.sky.com/story/pm-tells-stur ... m-10803625

:| Well that was always going to work well for Sturgeon, we Scots love nothing more than having a grievance to nurse.

Do think it was clever of the SNP to state yesterday the they didn't actually want to join the EU this time round just the EEA.

But as it includes the free movement of goods and people it would still mean a hard border.

Edward Lucas.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:28 pm

Interesting news today with the Spanish government about facing and now stating that they would no longer automatically block Scottish membership of the EU.

:| hmm funny that, i'm sure of course the whole Gibraltar storm has absolutely nothing to do with this sudden change :wink:

Edward Lucas.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:15 pm

Further to the above...

Salmond was strutting like a peacock yesterday as news arrived from the European parliament that the "tectonic plates" (his words) where shifting after a cross party group of MEPs endorsed the right of an independent Scotland to join the EU.

:| personally I look at this with the same distaste I have for the actions of the French during the time of Bonny Prince Charlie, helping Scotland is the last thing on the MEPs mind rather its more about creating as much mischief as possible to weaken the UK's position as a whole.

Edward Lucas.