Old School..

Veela Magnet

Re: The All New Comics Thread

Post by Veela Magnet » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:24 pm

Pious the chosen wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:01 pm
Old School..
Venom looks like Rick Sanchez's drinking buddy :D

Is anyone else reading Silver Surfer? It's just about to come to its current run, and it's one of the loveliest, heartfelt, most charming books I've read in ages (and is practically immune from Marvel Events which have eradicated most of my pull list). And Allred's '60s style pop art is always a sumptuous treat.

Pious the chosen

Post by Pious the chosen » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:44 pm

I really dislike Allred's art. It ultimate put me off of Bug! Adventures of Forager and I generally avoid any book drawn by him (or Skottie Young, or Chris Bachalo)

To be honest I never really liked Jack Kirby's art either.

I have heard of that Silver Surfer book. I prefer the more classic and iconic Silver Surfer, as seen in Requiem, Annihilation and Annihilators.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:50 pm

I heard the first story arc was good but it goes downhill from there

Yesterday I started ordering comics from Forbidden Planet because I want to get back in to single issues. Just ordered the first 3 Zdarsky Spider-Man books then put in for a smattering of subscriptions. Mostly Spider-Man and X-Men from Marvel and Batman and Superman stuff from DC. See how it goes. Want to see what the bill is like on the first month before I go in big

Veela Magnet

Post by Veela Magnet » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:10 pm

Pious the chosen wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:44 pm
I really dislike Allred's art. It ultimate put me off of Bug! Adventures of Forager and I generally avoid any book drawn by him (or Skottie Young, or Chris Bachalo)

To be honest I never really liked Jack Kirby's art either.

I have heard of that Silver Surfer book. I prefer the more classic and iconic Silver Surfer, as seen in Requiem, Annihilation and Annihilators.
Yeah I would imagine Allred's art could be a very acquired taste, and isn't really suited to action scenes, but I think it suits the very gentle, chill nature of the Silver Surfer character in this incarnation. I've never read anything prior though -- there was a FF sale in Comixology the other day so I've picked up the original Galactus trilogy for a quick goosey! Wasn't really sure where a good place to start with classic Surfer would be, so went right back to the beginning :D

Pious the chosen

Post by Pious the chosen » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:14 pm

Late 90's X-Men
Ironically, every New X-Man here will be written out by the year 2000.

Some Iconic Scenes...

X-Men #101 (1976)

New Mutants #28 (1985)

Fantastic Four #243 (1982)

Pious the chosen

Post by Pious the chosen » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:31 pm

The look on Magneto's face, when Red Skull makes a flippant remark about The Camps

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:44 pm

I wonder if that's knowing or accident

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:16 pm

Comic book day!

Pious the chosen

Post by Pious the chosen » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:03 am

The Original onomatopoeia for Captain America's mighty shield

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pious the chosen

Post by Pious the chosen » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:04 pm

RIP Len Wein 12 June 1948 - 10 September 2017

The co-creator of Wolverine and Swamp Thing, dies aged 69
The Guardian wrote:A master of many aspects of the form, Wein worked as an artist and editor, but was primarily known for his writing, having written for a veritable who’s who of classic characters, including Daredevil, Flash, Superman, Spider-Man, Batman and the Hulk.

Born in New York in 1948, Wein originally had ambitions to be a comic artist, regularly visiting DC Comics’ offices with friend – and eventually fellow writer – Marv Wolfman. DC editor Joe Orlando at last gave them both their first freelance work in 1968.

Switching mainly to scripting, Wein worked for DC until the early 1970s, when he moved to Marvel. There, with artists John Romita Sr and Herb Trimpe, Wein created the character Wolverine, who debuted in an issue of the Incredible Hulk. Wolverine later became a mainstay of the Marvel Universe when Wein and artist Dave Cockrum revamped the X-Men, a super-team originally created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby in the 1960s. When Wein and Cockrum’s Giant-Sized X-Men #1 was released in 1975, X-Men had not been published for five years, with the two introducing new characters including Storm, Collossus and Nightcrawler.

After returning to DC, Wein came up with the idea of Swamp Thing while riding the subway in Queens. He wrote the first issue in 1971, working with artist Bernie Wrightson (who died in March 2017). A shambling monster with the mind of a man, Swamp Thing was taken over by Alan Moore in the 1980s, with Wein serving as editor. The two would later work together on the classic comic Watchmen, with Moore writing, Wein editing and art by Dave Gibbons.

Pious the chosen

Post by Pious the chosen » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:33 pm

Shadowman

Post by Shadowman » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:19 am

Pious the chosen wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:33 pm
Probably the most respect Colossus ever got in animated form. I really liked the character but darn did he always get shafted in every X-Men series. He appeared all of twice in the 90's X-Men series, he was barely used in X-Men Evolution (got a couple of half decent fights but that was it) and he was only ever briefly shown in Wolverine and the X-Men, due to join the team in the second season - which was then cancelled. Which is a huge pity as the first season ended up being really good. Its also a huge loss that the Deadpool episode was supposed to be in the second season as well, that would have ended up being excellent I bet :(

Pious the chosen

Post by Pious the chosen » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:40 pm

Shadowman wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:19 am
Probably the most respect Colossus ever got in animated form. I really liked the character but darn did he always get shafted in every X-Men series. He appeared all of twice in the 90's X-Men series, he was barely used in X-Men Evolution (got a couple of half decent fights but that was it) and he was only ever briefly shown in Wolverine and the X-Men, due to join the team in the second season - which was then cancelled. Which is a huge pity as the first season ended up being really good. Its also a huge loss that the Deadpool episode was supposed to be in the second season as well, that would have ended up being excellent I bet :(
Agreed. Collosus got as much respect as Jean Grey in X-Men: TAS, kind of sad that Longshot got better representation than either of them. It's funny that Evolution made many of the more popular characters part of Magneto's team. Not that I was a fan of Evolution or it's central concept.

Specking of which, Wolverine & The X-Men did show promise with it's end of Season cliffhanger. Just as a visual, the Age of Apocalypse is a powerful signifier in X-Men Lore. That said, if Collosus and Deadpool were promised, depending how closely their characterisation was depicted, both would have been quite shocking departures to those unfamiliar with AoA... Especially Collosus.