The All New Comics Thread

When the other folders just won't do!
Shadowman

Re: The All New Comics Thread

Post by Shadowman » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:55 pm

The Deadpool/Colossus stuff would have been part of the present day storyline as opposed to AoA (at least from what I understood). If you want to get an idea what Deadpool would have been like - check out the Wolverine Vs Hulk animated movie. Its basically a sort of tie in to the series and has the best animated depiction of Deadpool ever. He's easily the best thing about that movie (which to be fair, is pretty good anyway)

Pious the chosen

Post by Pious the chosen » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:32 pm

Shadowman wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:55 pm
The Deadpool/Colossus stuff would have been part of the present day storyline as opposed to AoA (at least from what I understood). If you want to get an idea what Deadpool would have been like - check out the Wolverine Vs Hulk animated movie. Its basically a sort of tie in to the series and has the best animated depiction of Deadpool ever. He's easily the best thing about that movie (which to be fair, is pretty good anyway)
Indeed. I'd say that Deadpool was better than the Live Action one. That vs. Hulk film was a lot better than the Thor one too. Whether Colossus would have been Merciless AoA Colossus or not, I guess we'll never know for sure now.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:42 pm

Read the first 3 issues of Zdarsky's Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man. Not really sure how I feel about it. More than any other comic I've read in a very long time it feels like a kids cartoon/silly sitcom. Like characters are constantly walking in and out of the story, everyone is making jokes every time they speak, sometimes really funny. Sometimes really not, sometimes in a lovingly jabbing way at Spider-Man comics, sometimes just tearing them apart.

The story itself is really flimsy. And the whole time people are just pointing out all the double standards of Spider-Man. Spider-Man also seems really, really dumb. Like going on a date with a girl in public in he's costume. Like why? He almost got trounced by the Kingpin in an incredibly cliche fight.

Ultimate I don't really know what the writer is going for with this. I like Spider-Man to be fun, and this certainly can be, but it also feels incredibly light weight and forgettable.

Shame. As tired as I am of Dan Slott's take on the character at least he's story still has some meat on those bones. The jokes can be better in this, but usually in a very slapstick way.

I don't know. It's fine. But going to be a forgettable and insubstantial series I think. And I was really looking forward to a fresh take on Spider-Man outside of Slott and Bendis. But now reading I think I would take those.

Pious the chosen

Post by Pious the chosen » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:38 pm

Meanwhile, I decided to drop Bug! Adventures of Forager and try out a new series I've heard positive buzz about instead. Only two issues in and this is so much better than Bug. A New Gods book also, but the difference in execution is staggering. Three issues of Bug and nothing was really happening, whereas two issues of Mr. Miracle and I'm hooked. Granted this is only a maxi series (12 parts in all) and to really enjoy this to the fullest you need to be upto speed on the lore of the New Gods (Scott Free, Big Barda, Orion, Granny Goodness etc) as IMO this is not new reader "friendly". The story being told is excellent, albeit High Concept. However, at this point characters enter and exit panels without info-dump or exposition. If you're upto speed on the New Gods, this is highly recommended. 9/10

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:01 pm

I wanted to get that but was too late for the pre-order. My subscription starts with issue 2

Pious the chosen

Post by Pious the chosen » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:13 pm

It is selling out extremely fast. I was lucky to get the pre-order for the second printing of issue 1 from Forbidden Planet. Ebay has scalpers prices already...

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:28 pm

Yeah I was looking around for issue 1 and the prices were between 30 and 90.

No.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:23 pm

Question time: Minus Infinity Guantlet, can Thanos beat Ultron? I don't think he can

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:26 am

Comic book day!

Pious the chosen

Post by Pious the chosen » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:36 pm

maf-me-quick wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:23 pm
Question time: Minus Infinity Gauntlet, can Thanos beat Ultron? I don't think he can
Thanos easily. Let's use Galactus for comparison, to illustrate the point.

Thanos vs. Galactus (Without Infinity Gauntlet)

Ultron vs. Galactus

Ultron is an Avengers level threat, Thanos is a Cosmic level threat.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:17 pm

I haven't read that comic. But didn't Thanos trick Gslaxtus in to a pocket dimension that made him weaker of something?

I think Ultron wins. I don't count the 2nd comic excerpt. It's too old.

Pious the chosen

Post by Pious the chosen » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:12 pm

maf-me-quick wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:17 pm
I haven't read that comic. But didn't Thanos trick Galactus in to a pocket dimension that made him weaker of something?
Less being tricked than a calculated surprise attack. The pocket dimension is what he knocked Galactus into mid-fight to hold him. Briefly. Galactus turned the tables on him quite quickly afterwards.
maf-me-quick wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:17 pm
I think Ultron wins. I don't count the 2nd comic excerpt. It's too old.
Based on what? Ultron is just a robot. He's strong but not God Tier. Thanos has held everyone in the Marvel Universe at bay without the Gauntlet, Heart of The Universe etc

That is Secret Wars, which is canon (the "too old" excerpt). Poignant because I'm pretty sure that is the only scenario someone at Ultron's level would encounter the Devourer of Worlds. Thanos at least knocked him off his feet and shattered some of his armour. Ultron (in an adamantium body) was useless. There is no contest.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:15 pm

Fair enough, let me put it like this, I think Modern Ultron, post Avengers- Dissasembled, is more Dangerous than Thanos. Not only is he's body Adamantium, but he's so hyper intelligent he's almost psychic. Plus he's also gone in to space and conquered the Kreme and all these kinds of things.

Pious the chosen

Post by Pious the chosen » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:28 pm

Modern Thanos in contrast, has been severely nerfed. Writers such as Jonathan Hickman and Brian Michael Bendis portray him as a Space Thug, akin to Blastaar. Jim Starlin to DnA Thanos is a God unto himself. Classic Thanos was the most dangerous individual in the galaxy, hence why he used to be used so sparingly.

The slight caveat with Ultron-in-Spaaace being he had merged with The Phalanx. So he didn't really do anything serious on his own in Cosmic Marvel. Unlike say Annihilus (or Thanos in his heyday).

Pious the chosen

Post by Pious the chosen » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:19 pm

Classic Covers, Big Questions

Image :P

(Foil Cover)