The Dark Tower

When the other folders just won't do!
Roysterfivenine

Re: The Dark Tower

Post by Roysterfivenine » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:53 pm

Read the whole series about 5 years ago and its easily my favorite fantasy/western/sci-fi series.

I could easily see it as a Red Dead Redemption style of game BUT it would need to be inspired by the world of the Dark Tower. I dont see how it could give the series justice if a game followed the story of the Dark Tower in the books.

Also i must be one of few who actually thought The Wizard and the Glass was excellent. Getting a glimpse of what Roland was like as a teenager was brilliant. If anything i thought Song of Suzanna was the weaker of all the books (albeit still a good book)

Superbeasto

Post by Superbeasto » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:17 pm

Roysterfivenine wrote:Also i must be one of few who actually thought The Wizard and the Glass was excellent.
Loved it too, not sure why it gets any flack at all to be honest. I suppose it's likely because it takes a detour from the main story, but if you're still reading by book IV then you should be interested enough in the characters that getting Roland's backstory is enough.

Pious the chosen

Post by Pious the chosen » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:32 pm

Superbeasto wrote:
Roysterfivenine wrote:Also i must be one of few who actually thought The Wizard and the Glass was excellent.
Loved it too, not sure why it gets any flack at all to be honest. I suppose it's likely because it takes a detour from the main story, but if you're still reading by book IV then you should be interested enough in the characters that getting Roland's backstory is enough.
Didn't they cover that enough in the first book? :shock:

Roysterfivenine

Post by Roysterfivenine » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:06 pm

Pious the chosen wrote:
Superbeasto wrote:
Didn't they cover that enough in the first book? :shock:
Not really no. You learn how Roland used his ingenuity to beat his teacher Cort the The Gunslinger. In Wizard and the Glass you get a proper 'coming of age' story. A maturity for Roland from teenager to adulthood.

radiofloyd

Post by radiofloyd » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:19 pm

StephenKing.com is proud to announce The Dark Tower: The Wind Through the Keyhole.
The next installment of the epic series is set for release in 2012.

Dear Constant Readers,

At some point, while worrying over the copyedited manuscript of the next book (11/22/63, out November 8th), I started thinking—and dreaming—about Mid-World again. The major story of Roland and his ka-tet was told, but I realized there was at least one hole in the narrative progression: what happened to Roland, Jake, Eddie, Susannah, and Oy between the time they leave the Emerald City (the end of Wizard and Glass) and the time we pick them up again, on the outskirts of Calla Bryn Sturgis (the beginning of Wolves of the Calla)?

There was a storm, I decided. One of sudden and vicious intensity. The kind to which billy-bumblers like Oy are particularly susceptible. Little by little, a story began to take shape. I saw a line of riders, one of them Roland’s old mate, Jamie DeCurry, emerging from clouds of alkali dust thrown by a high wind. I saw a severed head on a fencepost. I saw a swamp full of dangers and terrors. I saw just enough to want to see the rest. Long story short, I went back to visit an-tet with my friends for awhile. The result is a novel called The Wind Through the Keyhole. It’s finished, and I expect it will be published next year.

It won’t tell you much that’s new about Roland and his friends, but there’s a lot none of us knew about Mid-World, both past and present. The novel is shorter than DT 2-7, but quite a bit longer than the first volume—call this one DT-4.5. It’s not going to change anybody’s life, but God, I had fun.

-- Steve King
http://www.stephenking.com/promo/wind_t ... ouncement/

:D

Roysterfivenine

Post by Roysterfivenine » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:01 pm

Thats uber news :D

Rotek

Post by Rotek » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:45 pm

I heard about that a while back actually. Still: :D

Read my eBooks! | Read my blog! | Read all the things!

mickmick198282

Post by mickmick198282 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:58 pm

great news thanks :)

Pious the chosen

Post by Pious the chosen » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:07 pm

IGN wrote:Oscar winner Javier Bardem has just about sealed his deal to star in the epic feature film/TV adaptation of The Dark Tower.
http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/116/1160183p1.html

mickmick198282

Post by mickmick198282 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:02 pm

Hmm yes and no, i think javier bardem was awesome in no country for old men. But I was hoping it would be Viggo Mortensen.

Pious the chosen

Post by Pious the chosen » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:37 pm

mickmick198282 wrote:Hmm yes and no, i think javier bardem was awesome in no country for old men. But I was hoping it would be Viggo Mortensen.
Aww Viggo's awesome, haven't seen him in anything since The Road and Eastern Promises (not that you didn't see enough of him in that movie :lol: ) but personally from when I read the first Dark Tower book I saw Roland being a little younger than Viggo so I think Javier is a pretty good fit.

mickmick198282

Post by mickmick198282 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:57 am

Yeah i suppose Viggo of ten years ago would have fit the bill. But nah not complainin he is a good actor so happy with it.

Wonder who would fit Eddie Dean... Sam Rockwell for me i think.
Susannah... zoe saldana, lass from avatar
Jake... dunno some child actor, not obnoxious
Oy... CGI no doubt lol

Ah feck it, im going to start reading it again!!! Its put me in the mood!

Pious the chosen

Post by Pious the chosen » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:26 pm

mickmick198282 wrote:Jake... dunno some child actor, not obnoxious
:lol: Does such a thing exist???

Man in Black i'm thinking maybe Sam Neill? Rutger Heuer?

DogEyedBoy

Post by DogEyedBoy » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:35 pm

Jake's going to be a tough one because he doesn't age very much at all throughout the series.

Pious the chosen

Post by Pious the chosen » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:37 pm

:shock: He's in more than just the first book???