Doomed, we're all Doomed : And yet the world still turns.

When the other folders just won't do!
maf-me-quick

Re: Brexit the Donald and the New Puritans: Doomed, we're all Doomed

Post by maf-me-quick » Mon May 14, 2018 9:29 am

I literally did not realise that woman marrying that royal guy was black until I just saw a headline about it

One-armed dwarf
Location: L̜͙̮̖̘͇͌̇o̤̞̭͕͗̿̄ͭͩ̄̉n̝̜̬̩͢d҉͖̥̣̙̹͚̭ơ̾͑̿̽̅n̫̜̘͉̰͍̄ͥ̍̾̇̽

Post by One-armed dwarf » Mon May 14, 2018 9:33 am

It's how the UKIP guy got the sack, his shit of a girlfriend was posting about how her inferior genes will pollute the royal bloodline or some shit.

Which was 'taken out of context' :roll:
🌚

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Mon May 14, 2018 11:39 am

This is going to make me sound dumb but I actually do not always spot that people are black unless they are actually like black. People who are brown or light brown like this new girl, sometimes I don’t notice. I heard she was a TV actress so I assumed she was just tanned.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Mon May 14, 2018 8:33 pm

Yeah there was a slew of different names for every hue back in the 1800, but now it seems that your either black or white period.

Its interesting in a societal context that this social divide is mostly American in origin with mixed race kids often rejected by both colours.

Speaking of colours....

:lol: :lol: Gammon :lol: :lol:

A row has broken out over the use of the term ‘gammon’ to describe middle-aged, male Brexit voters amid claims it is racist.

The insult has been increasingly used by Labour supporters to mock right wing males over their supposed red faces and fleshy builds in recent weeks.
But Northern Irish MP Emma Little-Pengelly sparked a war of words on Twitter by claiming the term singles out people with a certain skin colour.
The DUP politician said: “I'm appalled by the term ‘gammon’ now frequently entering the lexicon of so many (mainly on the left) & seemingly be accepted.
“This is a term based on skin colour & age - stereotyping by colour or age is wrong no matter what race, age or community. It is just wrong.”

:lol: finally a good insult to call a white man.

( :| by the by, I hate gammon, I cant stand sweet and meat together, pineapple ugh :evil: )
Those deceived by religious extremism shall be assisted by resettlement and re-education.

Chinese UN Mission.

Pious the chosen

Post by Pious the chosen » Mon May 14, 2018 8:59 pm

I've never heard gammon used as a slur before :? Then again, I still don't get the "Wasp" thing in the US either?

As an aside, I love Gammon - the meat - Never with fruit though, Jeem. Fruit + Meat is heresy!

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Mon May 14, 2018 9:20 pm

I never heard of that but doesn't sound like racism. More like high-blood-pressure-ism.

Unless being unhealthy is a race also
🌚

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Tue May 15, 2018 1:05 pm

Pious the chosen wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 8:59 pm
I still don't get the "Wasp" thing in the US either?
WASP stands for 'White Anglo-Saxton Protestant', in other words a typical white person with no claim to being any sort of minority (e.g. Catholic or Jewish).

Pious the chosen

Post by Pious the chosen » Tue May 15, 2018 1:49 pm

I see, Thanks Bilge. But how is that a slur :? :?

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Tue May 15, 2018 2:37 pm

It is generally used in a pejorative way to refer to affluent, expensively-educated types who are perceived as being supercilious by the working classes (especially minorities), almost like we might think of public school boys in this country.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Wed May 16, 2018 4:50 pm

:lol: knew there'd be some hand wringing over this...

Conan Exiles creative director on why the game lets players own slaves.

Feature : https://www.polygon.com/2018/5/15/17353 ... 4-xbox-one (some of the comments are a great read)

:| haven't caught any Thralls yet as i'm still gathering supplies for my first major build, but I will get my own little Harem going eventually.
Those deceived by religious extremism shall be assisted by resettlement and re-education.

Chinese UN Mission.

Sly Reflex

Post by Sly Reflex » Wed May 16, 2018 6:22 pm

Spent a few hours earlier this week slinging space slaves for profit in Elite Dangerous. Where there's profit, there's people to take a slice of the pie, even if it's directly stealing from others.

We do a lot of things in games we don't do in real life. It's all questionable when you examine it.

Pious the chosen

Post by Pious the chosen » Wed May 16, 2018 6:47 pm

Sly Reflex wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 6:22 pm
We do a lot of things in games we don't do in real life. It's all questionable when you examine it.

I don't know what you mean, Sly :P

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Wed May 16, 2018 7:08 pm

Yeah but I feel like slavery is something that is inarguably evil in any scenario. Like I can’t think of any good slavery.

Even though games require the player to do messed up things they at least either try to give some context to it if not downright remove context from it completely.

Anyone sitting back thinking “Fucking snowflakes and their slavery” is a try-hard mental patient.

I mean I love Pokemon but even I tend not to use Pokemon that are super humanoid because it is uncomfortable

Jinx is uncomfortable for a lot of reasons :o

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Thu May 17, 2018 3:23 am

Water of a ducks back to me, from mass murder to grand larceny we commit crimes happily in games and feel good about it because in that world we are the "hero's".

Reality and fantasy never the twain shall mix.

Chinese UN Mission.

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Thu May 17, 2018 8:37 am

Yeah but it's still fine to talk about this stuff tho. Just cause you put the lens of our culture up against a thing don't make you a hand-wringing SJW.

Like come on people want games to be taken seriously but never to be subject to any kind of critical analysis, like I don't get that.

I'm wondering how much overlap exists between the guys who a few years ago were like 'games are credible, as much as film and other sort of media' and 'keep ur political perspectives out my video games :x :x :x '. Can't have it both ways.

If you like comment sections then this here is a doozy: https://www.resetera.com/threads/custom ... hat.42927/
🌚