last movie you watched

When the other folders just won't do!
shinymcshine

Re: last movie you watched

Post by shinymcshine » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:10 am

Get Out

A rather intreging thriller/horror/black comedy, which really is best not to read too much about beforehand. Its a bit of a social commentary about modern day USA, but in a Black Mirror sort of style.

Its a little heavy handed in approach at times, a few things are predictable but then laboured on in case you missed the clear signposting, and ultimately not as clever as it would like to be.

Decent but not particularly groundbreaking.

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:35 am

The fetishisation of the black male was interesting I thought. Everyone wants a piece of their sexual prowess, athleticism etc. But as far as their social role and how they dress and act they still want to be white.

I don't think it was really trying to be a film of twists and turns really until they explained the reason 'why' stuff was happening, but the reasons why weren't that important to the film anyway.

It's a lot better than any Black Mirror episode I've watched which is a series I've felt to be far too blunt with its criticisms even if it can be interesting sometimes.

Pious the chosen

Post by Pious the chosen » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:07 pm

Guardians of The Galaxy Vol.2

Painfully mediocre. The first Marvel movie I actually sat through in one sitting since Antman. To me, this is far inferior. So what did I actually like about this?

Kurt Russell aka Ego - Finally! The first MCU Movie villain of true merit since Loki. I wonder if it is more due to Kurt Russell himself than the writing, given he is awesome. Until the Hasslehoff moment, that did have me roll my eyes.

With that out of the way, what I didn't like:

Baby Groot - Especially the opening sequence
The Forced comedy - Far too many 'jokes by committee'. They need new writers going forward
Drax - Pretty much every action, joke and piece of dialogue was terrible.

I didn't like the first film very much, being a fan of the comic series, this one was a lot worse than the first. 6/10

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:15 pm

I've just finished watching it and I fucking loved it. I think it's just as good as the original, even if it the thing it's good at is a different thing from the first.

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:27 am

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm with Pious on this, GotG 2 disappointed me so damn much.
MFGamers Twitter
“Let fascism find not even a single passage to power or else that poisonous snake will infiltrate into the every vital corner of the country and kill the future of the nation!” - Mehmet Murat ildan

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:31 am

Blakey wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:27 am
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm with Pious on this, GotG 2 disappointed me so damn much.
Yep, +1

*OneTwo*

Post by *OneTwo* » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:38 am

Not as good as the first but still a fun space adventure.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:17 am

I loved it. The opening with Baby Groot and ELO alone was so entertaining. There's definitely parts of it that are slower than the first, it feels like a longer film that the first, but some of those moments of revelations and resolutions with the characters I thought were just as strong if not stronger than the first movie.

My only 3 complaints after seeing it last night was the film is really good and being emotional, but undermines some moments too much with comedy, the fact that they called Eho a Celestial. We saw a Celestial in the first movie, they are not the same thing. And the use of Pac Man. Which ties back in to my first complaint

But apart from those things it was great

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:17 am

Not as good as Spider-Man

*OneTwo*

Post by *OneTwo* » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:21 am

Ego called himself a Celestial did he not? Which ties into his egotistical nature I thought.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:24 am

That's what I'm saying. But Ego and it's brother was created by something else. I can't remember what off the top.

We saw a flashback to a Celestial in the first movie.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:27 am

The fight between Gamora and Nebula was also one of the best throw downs in the film. I laughed so much when Gamora picked up that big fucking gun. It was also nice to see an expansion on her powers. She is much stronger than I realised

Watching it last night made me want to buy some trades but I've heard from podcasts and what not that they aren't that good

*OneTwo*

Post by *OneTwo* » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:42 am

maf-me-quick wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:24 am
That's what I'm saying. But Ego and it's brother was created by something else. I can't remember what off the top.

We saw a flashback to a Celestial in the first movie.
Yeah I get that but I mean it's totally fitting for an egotistical creature to big itself up. Calling himself a Celestial when he isn't is totally what an egotistical being would do even though we know he isn't (he's an Elder being). Clever. The Game don't really know any better at this point. If he said it to the Collector he'd probably call him on it

Pious the chosen

Post by Pious the chosen » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:36 pm

maf-me-quick wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:27 am
Watching it last night made me want to buy some trades but I've heard from podcasts and what not that they aren't that good
Ignore anything GoTG written by Brian Michael Bendis IE the most recent stuff, it's very bad. The definitive and acclaimed Cosmic Marvel run is by Dan Abnett (and others):

Starts with Annihilation (2006) and ends with Annihilators: Earthfall (2011).

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:20 pm

I watched I Daniel Blake and it was brilliant. A powerful movie for the times that we live in particularly after Grenfell.

I also watched They Live because I had nothing else to do.

And tonight is Kill Bill which I've never seen before