Post When You Complete A Game 2015

Got a high score accomplishment to boast about? Stick it here...
maf-me-quick

Post When You Complete A Game 2015

Post by maf-me-quick » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:19 am

01/01/15 - Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor (XOne) -

Slick

Re: Post When You Complete A Game 2015

Post by Slick » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:50 am

Saints Row: The Third (2011, PS3)

Developer – Volition
Publisher - THQ

FINALLY!!! I have been playing this game since October and have played no other game during this period. This means it has taken me 3 months to complete just 1 game, to put that in perspective, that’s 25% of my gaming year, at that current rate I will only complete 4 games a year! “Well, Saints Row is a big game, I bet you spent 100’s of hours collecting everything, right?” Wrong, my in game clock tells me I have played around 24 hours, so 3 months for a days worth of gameplay…this is what happens when you get a job, get married and have kids. If I were 16 again, I would of nailed this game in 3 or 4 days tops and got the platinum trophy, I guess it’s time to concede that my best gaming days are behind me.

VISUALS
Admittedly, this game is hardly going to win any awards for best graphics but that’s to be expected with games of this scope. I’m not saying the game is ugly either, I actually thought it looked great graphically. The design of the city was well thought out, despite its huge size the city layout was fairly easy to remember, meaning you didn’t have to rely on the map to get around. Visual gags are everywhere and are very much appreciated, from the dildo bat to weird goings on in the background of cutscenes, there is always something to catch your eye and make you laugh. Plus, you can customize the shit out of anything, be it your car, your gang members or even yourself…all at any time you like, it can be quite addictive.

It’s not all great though. As with every other open-world game I have played, there is a lot of repetition. So you’ll see the same pedestrian over and over again, the same bad/good henchman, the same vehicles etc, etc. Plus, the game does look quite rough in places, such as the lack in detail in shop windows or the pedestrians that walk the streets. Another tiny complaint, is that in the final mission I did experience a considerable frame rate drop and the game kind of slowed to a snail’s pace. It was only for a minute and it had never happened before, so I think we can let that go.

All in all though, SR3 is solidly presented and at times actually looks fantastic…others, not so much.
7/10
You could spend hours just customizing your character

AUDIO
I’ll start off by saying I think the dialogue was great and that the cast was pretty fantastic. The fact your can change your characters voice at any time during the game means that the developers recorded the protagonist’s entire dialogue multiple times, which is also impressive. I loved my British voice in the game; the guy who did it did a fantastic job. There was also some great music in the game, which the developers also used for some special moments. So one mission had me jump out of a helicopter, parachute on top of a sky scraper with a pool party going on and then kill everyone there, all with Kanye West’s ‘Power’ playing in the background, twas epic. Again, on the final mission I am told to make a choice, kill my nemesis or save my friends. As I start racing towards my friends, Bonnie Tylers ‘I Need a Hero’ starts playing…it’s just perfect.

Although there are some good tracks, for the most part the music is pretty naff. I think I liked about 5 songs from the entire playlist, which is fairly bad to be fair. I still don’t understand why the game couldn’t just look on what’s on your HDD and play that, so many games missed a trick there this gen with that. The radio itself was pretty dire, although you got news updates about what’s going on (usually something to do with what you have just done), there isn’t any DJ’s or talk shows like you get in the GTA games. Although those aspects can get old on multiple listens, it helps immerse you into the World when you have a more believable radio. Plus, if GTA is anything to go by, these aspects can be hilarious.

The radio could of done with some work but the rest of the game sounded ace, a job well done.
9/10

GAMEPLAY
To go into every aspect of this would take forever, there is just simply so much to do in the city of Steelport. The gameplay itself should feel sort of familiar for anyone who has played GTA or SR before, it’s your bog standard 3rd person open-World adventure game. You are plonked into a city that may as well be your playground as you can drive any car you see, fly any aircraft you see, drive any speedboat you see. Hell, you can jump off any building you like as you are always equipped with a parachute, no more fall deaths…falling is now fun! Vehicles handle great and more importantly are fun to use.
My favourite vehicle in the game, a freaking jet bike!

Mission wise, you of course have your main story missions which can be quite long, lasting up to an hour. These missions are usually intense, insane, over the top and massive amounts of fun. The game starts off with you fighting in a building that is collapsing and almost felt Uncharted-esque in its execution. Not long after that you fight on a plane, jump out of said plane, only to go back through the plane entering via the windscreen, flying through the entire plane (cockpit, fuselage, storage) and back out the other end via the cargo door. Again, the whole sequence is ridiculous, but that’s why I play games, for moments just like that. There are more missions just like that, from fighting zombies to kicking arse on Mars…the game doesn’t hold back and it’s all the better for it.

You also have side missions dotted all over your map. Now these are not mandatory but completing them gets you more territory (the more territory you have, the more money you earn each day on the game. Money can be used to buy upgrades, shops, customizations, weapon etc basically, you need money to help you along the way), some instant cash and are usually quick and fun to play. They are perfect if you just want to play for a quick 15 minutes and I found them very entertaining. You have some that have you causing as much damage as possible while in a tank, others that have you racing round on a quad where running over people rewards you with more time and even one that has you claim insurance fraud by doing as much damage as you can to yourself by walking into traffic etc. There are loads more and plenty to keep you busy.

There’s also collectibles, phone missions, a whole array of challenges, a saints book that also has missions for you to do and the list goes on. To 100% complete this game, you really need to be patient and REALLY want it.

I thought there was too much to do if I’m honest. I completely ignored the saints book as it didn’t seem fun or fruitful enough, I ignored all my phone calls and the challenges are ridiculous and time consuming.

Despite there being too much to do (which feels like an odd thing to complain about) I had an absolute blast playing this game. I could play in short burst or 3 hour long gaming sessions. I always came back wanting more and never got bored of it, even after 3 months! Insanely entertaining, so much fun and never too difficult.
It may not be the most innovative game in the World but it sure is one of the most fun!
9/10

NARRATIVE
Now, I have never played a Saints Row game before and so I was expecting a train wreck for the story. I was pleasantly surprised to find that actually, the story was fun, engaging and entertaining…just like the gameplay. I always enjoyed selecting a story mission because I knew something possibly mental/funny/exciting or all of the above would happen. The protagonist in which you play is a fucking nutcase and always comes up with the most outlandish plans, has the most dark sense of humour and always goes in head first.

What else is there to say? I enjoyed the story, sure there were some less than amazing parts but on the whole almost every cutscene was just pure entertainment. It won’t win any awards and it won’t make you cry but it will also not bore you at all.
9/10

VERDICT
I’m currently going through my bucket list on the PS3 before I move onto the PS4…and the list is fairly huge. Saints Row: The Third was not on that list but it was a free game with PS+, so I thought “why not?” I’m so glad I did, I have had such a good time playing this game. As soon as I had free time, I was genuinely excited to put the PS3 on and play in my virtual playground, even if it was just for 30 minutes. And, 3 months on, that excitement didn’t dwindle and I always looked forward to playing it.

I’m sure I’ve missed loads in the review but I have gone on LONG enough. All that needs to be said really, is that the game is insanely fun and I think I’m going to miss it, especially as I’m playing Need for Speed: Most Wanted next. How did THQ go out of business when they published games like Saints Row and Darksiders!?
9/10

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:32 am

Now try the 4th. It's even better.

Slick

Post by Slick » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:21 am

maf-me-quick wrote:Now try the 4th. It's even better.
Wait, what? Really? I assumed I had just played the pinnacle of the series, wasn't even gonna bother with the 4th!

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:26 pm

Well that's me done with this, 9/10 with ease :) .

Bags of atmosphere in a lush if dark game world, it can be unrelenting at times with the very worst of humanity on display but with a well rounded story of redemption well worth the effort.

Graphically it very nice with bags of detail, excellent lighting effects (though given its a core gameplay mechanic no surprise there) with very little in the way of glitches showing how a well polished game should look.

Special mention has to go to the sound effects, I played this with my sony headset with the virtual surround sound on and everything from the howling wind to the growls of beasts and the thud of flesh gave the experience an immersive feel I enjoyed.

As for the music...much like most game background music it stays in the background when I'm playing...did it help with the atmosphere, probably though nothing sticks out to me as worthy of mention.

Moving on to the gameplay, as an FPS its a solid title the shooting mechanics work well and most gun classes react as you would expect.

What's interesting is the choice you have in playing the game, one on hand the sections where you face the mutated wildlife is very much a straight forward FPS but when facing humans you have a choice of simply wading in, or engaging in a reasonably ok stealth mechanic that aside from occasionally feeling like your humping your enemy's leg like wee jack russel when you get to close and they politely ignore you.

This aside it does give a more rewarding gameplay experience against human foes.

Special mention has to go to the use of you torch light as a weapon against certain foes that adds to the tension as you feel your way down clustraphopic tunnels.

Overall this was a great game that I can personally find little fault in, well deserving of a 9/10.
Those deceived by religious extremism shall be assisted by resettlement and re-education.

Chinese UN Mission.

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:27 pm

03/01/2015 - Toybox Turbos (PC) - 8/10

Wanted to get this for a while, it was in the Steam Winter Sale so I got it for £5.99, what a game!

I loved Micro Machines and knew this would feel and play similarly and I wasn't dissappointed, the gameplay is addictive and it feels like of a mix of old-school Micro Machines and Motorstorm RC on the Vita to play, only real complaint is that it could've done with more tracks and that it could've had a bit more character and charm to it, but those are only minor criticisms.

Finished all SP getting all 3 stars on every event and played lots of online MP stuff as well, fantastic little game and highly recommended!

04/01/2015 - The Detail: Episode 1 - Where the Dead Lie (PC) - 7/10

Hadn't really heard of this game before I bought it but it got decent reviews on Steam and looked cool so I bought it. It plays pretty much exactly the same as Telltales' games I found, it uses a really cool visual style though, which is like a virtual comic book, using similar comic book text and not employing any voice acting whatsoever.

It is all pretty well done and the Devs successfully create this noir, detective story set in some grimy US city, as this was only Ep. 1 (of 5 I presume) it was just introducing characters and setting the scene but things have been pretty interesting and the decisions I've taken have already had an impact on proceedings, no idea when Ep. 2 comes out (sometime this year I believe) but I'll pick it up for sure.
Last edited by Blakey on Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MFGamers Twitter
“Nationalism is an infantile thing. It is the measles of mankind.” - Albert Einstein

Superbeasto

Post by Superbeasto » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:49 pm

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - XB1 (Normal difficulty) 3/5

Very rarely buy CoD games, because although the hype occasionally sucks me in I've never actually played a CoD campaign that's really worked for me. The shooting is always really tight and enjoyable but something about the whole Bayhem approach leaves me really cold. Have never gotten into the MP in a big way either, way too twitchy for my liking, I find something like Gears/Halo/Titanfall much more enjoyable and more accessible for the player whose reflexes aren't superhuman. Nobody likes just spawning and dying constantly, which is pretty much my CoD MP experience. From what I've played of the AW MP not much has changed there, although it is interesting how much the movement is reminiscent of Titanfall.

Anyway, campaign-wise this is the best they've had I reckon. It still didn't quite click with me properly, I didn't get absorbed in the same way I do with my favourite shooters, but the more sci-fi aesthetic is definitely closer to my area of interest so is a step in the right direction. At several points it reminded me of the F.E.A.R. games which wasn't a comparison I expected. Must have been the mech suits.

Anyway, pretty average stuff, but pulled off with a lot of chutzpah. I found myself getting more into it towards the end so maybe a second playthrough will reap more enjoyment, we'll see.

mfnick

Post by mfnick » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:11 pm

Now I've got my gaming mojo back since buying the new consoles hopefully this will be a big list for me this year compared to the 10 or so I did last.

04.01 inFamous: Festival of Blood - Complete & 100% Trophies

Was pretty decent. Liked the idea and setting, just wasn't much to it. If I didn't chase the trophies I'd have been done in an hour or so. Really interesting how they changed the aesthetics and game world slightly. Wish more DLC/add on's were done this way (just with more to them and at a higher quality) rather than the dull MP maps we usually get.

6/10

PSN - Nick_2k7

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:30 pm

07/01/2015 - Broken Sword 1 - The Shadow of the Templars (PC) - 9/10

Absolutely fantastic little game, can't believe I hadn't played it all this time!

Got so much heart, so much charm and wit, the characters and the script are all superb and the story keeps you involved, invested and gripped until its conclusion.

Highly recommended!
MFGamers Twitter
“Nationalism is an infantile thing. It is the measles of mankind.” - Albert Einstein

Superbeasto

Post by Superbeasto » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:56 pm

The Banner Saga - Android (Easy difficulty) 4/5

I loved most of this game, the narrative is great and the art style is fantastic, really, really beautiful to look at and very reminiscent of '70s film animation. The combat gets a bit stale though, and the final battle is ludicrously tough. The rest of the game hadn't prepared me for it at all, I'd coasted through every battle in the game then it just spikes, and spikes HARD. After a while of trying to achieve the impossible it got switched down to Easy and was a cakewalk, so that's left a real sour taste in my mouth.

I loved the game, but man did I feel gutted with that closing experience.

mfnick

Post by mfnick » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:06 am

04.01 inFamous: Festival of Blood (PS3) - Complete & 100% Trophies

09.01 Thomas Was Alone (PS4) - Complete & 100% Trohphies

Absolutely loved that! One of the most charming games I've played. Who knew rectangles and squares could be so interesting. The narrator is absolutely amazing! Some of the best voice acting ever! It looks good - nice shadow effect in particular. And the sound & music are excellent. The gameplay isn't anything amazing, but it's enjoyable enough with some nice ideas. The jump has a weird delay though which caused me some deaths, luckily you can get used to it and the punishment for death is pretty insignificant.

Overall though, just a fantastic experience.

9/10

PSN - Nick_2k7

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:09 am

10/01/2015 - Broken Sword 2 - The Smoking Mirror (PC) - 7/10

It starts off really well, and throws you right into the action, it definitely doesn't have the introductory sections that the first has, just throws you in at the deep end, I liked this for the first half of the game as it felt like an Action movie or something like The Da Vinci Code, just got me on the edge of my seat from the start, I thought the whole game was going to be you trying to find someone until you eventually found him/her in the final act, but it wasn't at all unfortunately, and the plot kind of peters out, I also think there was some padding in there with the stones section too, the overrall game is much shorter though at 6 hours, but it still felt like there was a bit of filler in there at times, the Zombie Island maze wasn't fun at all, and I noticed there was a hell of a lot less puzzles than BS1 as well.

Only had to use a walkthrough for the Zombie Island maze as I got lost, I did overly rely on the hints system though, seems overly helpful in this compared to BS1.

I still enjoyed it though, I just felt like there wasn't as much charm and whimsy in there as the first BS, now onto 3...maybe.
Last edited by Blakey on Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MFGamers Twitter

Superbeasto

Post by Superbeasto » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:11 pm

The Banner Saga - Android (Easy difficulty) 4/5

The Evil Within - XB1 (Survivor difficulty) 5/5

Oh man did I love this. It kicked my ass hard and frequently, but the harshness was great. Don't think I ever made it through an encounter feeling badass or invincible, it was always just by the skin of my teeth and with no ammo to spare. A tough balance for a game to pull off but they nailed it.

It's old-school in a way that is actually refreshing these days, I loved the In The Mouth of Madness-esque story, the epic boss encounters (there were so many bosses!) and the huge, over the top moments. Genuinely scary too, in a way the Resi games generally weren't. I was frantic at times and yelped pretty often, and felt genuine apprehension moving into new areas. As someone who hasn't enjoyed a Resident Evil game in many years, I loved this game's approach to survival horror. Brilliant.

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:48 am

10/01/2015 - Broken Sword 2 - The Smoking Mirror (PC) - 7/10

14/01/2015 - Broken Sword 3 - The Sleeping Dragon (PC) - 7/10

A huge departure for the series, going from a 2D point-n'-click adventure game and into the 3d realm, ditching the cartoony art style and incorporating platforming elements and stealth section into the mix.

I didn't really enjoy the gameplay too much, the controls were fine with a controller but it felt like they'd shoehorned in platforming sections and stealth sections just to appear fresh and new and keep up with other games of the era that were popular at that kind of time like Jak & Daxter etc., and the gameplay suffered as a result of that. There were much more puzzles in here than in BS2 I found but I'd say 70% of them were box puzzles, they get really old really fast I tell you, the last boss as well was an absolute joke, having to dodge fireballs to make it to the final boss just didn't feel like Broken Sword at all to me.

What kept the game together though was the plot and the personality of the characters, I actually thought the plot was better than BS2 (albeit the villains slightly less believable) and I really wanted to see it through it its conclusion, it was cool having a link to the first game, seeing a lot of similar environs to BS1 but in 3D was weird and cool at the same time and the Neo-Templar plot kept me interested upto the conclusion, still didn't hit the highs of BS1 though for me and the gameplay itself wasn't what I wanted or expected from a BS game, just felt like a huge miss-step but I guess at the time Revolution thought they needed this massive revamp in order to keep people interested in the game.

It felt very Tomb Raidery to me at times and maybe could've inspired the Uncharted series, George and Nathan Drake definitely have some similarities as does the whole tomb raiding, ancient artifact stuff too.
Last edited by Blakey on Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MFGamers Twitter

tresdoss

Post by tresdoss » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:29 am

01/01/15 - Sunset Overdrive - Mystery of Mooil Rig - Xbox One.
05/01/15 - Halo : CE Anniversary - The Master Chief Collection - Xbox One.
13/01/15 - Halo 2 Anniversary - The Master Chief Collection - Xbox One.

enjoyed this more than the first game, maybe because it was completely new to me... I didn't even know that you played as the Arbitor... :lol: