Retro Gaming : Plug N' Play.

Chat about anything you like, as long as it's games related.
sleepery jeem

Re: Retro Gaming : Plug N' Play : SNES Mini.

Post by sleepery jeem » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:42 am

Super Mario RPG

8) lots of nice little touches to the game so far, you switch the light of to go to bed and to save you jump on a save box that flings you up to the save screen.

Gameplay wise it lays the template for later Mario RPG's with a bonus button press during attacking and defending, careful timing will result in a stronger attack or a dodge.

A familiar mechanic nowadays but new back then, one minor quibble though, much as I love Mario music it feels a little to jaunty for an RPG.

As for my Mini set up I went Pixel Perfect with stars...

"Make the Left Hate again"

Paolo Gerbaodo : Kings College London.

*OneTwo*

Post by *OneTwo* » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:14 am

It's a cut little thing the Mini :)

I dabbled in Mega Man X. Not played this one and my initial thoughts are it's good, but probably not going to be one of my favourites. The rewind feature basically takes the sting out of fighting the bosses as you can just repeat till you figure them out and beat them.

Super Punch Out is still great fun for a quick play through :)

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:30 am

Haven't tried the rewind feature yet, will say having to hit the reset button to active the Mini menu has got old quick....might actually be lazy enough to buy myself an extra long USB cable just so that I can sit back with the Mini by my side instead of under the TV.

:? and why the smeg does FF3 have a two player option on it :?

I had a look at the game guides https://www.nintendo.co.jp/clvs/manuals ... index.html but I couldn't spot anything.

Anyway back to Mario....

:shock: after reading the games manual turns out you don't lose any EXP. you've gathered when you die, first RPG I've ever had that in for sure.

:!: DING LEVEL UP :!:

:!: DOUBLE DING NEW SPELL :!:

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:27 am

:!: Top Tip for SMRPG :!:

Be sure to help all of Mushroom Village before entering Princess Peach's throne room, or you will miss out on several bonus items.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:15 pm

Bootleg Star Fox 2 SNES cartridges are already up for sale

It took hackers no time at all to extract the Star Fox 2 ROM from the Super NES Classic Edition, which hit stores last Friday. Not long after that, the game hit eBay — on bootleg SNES cartridges.

Sellers on eBay are listing cartridges with Star Fox 2 on them for as much as $70. These cartridges are advertised as including the official SNES Classic version of the game, with the main difference being that they’re supposedly compatible with an actual Super NES.

The bootleg cartridges even have nice labels based on the game’s new art. And it looks like collectors are snapping them up, especially with the SNES Classic already hard to find post-launch day. Several of the modded cartridges have been sold, even with steep prices that come close to that of the SNES Classic system itself.

:lol: unbelievable, but inevitable.

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:38 pm

Starfox 1 is sort of cool and I'm even thinking of beating it (but with save states because you can't save the game).

But Starfox 2 is unplayable. It looks like such a mess I can't even figure out where I am and what's going on. It's a first-person space shooter with 3 fps and tons of triangles and shapes everywhere it's such a nightmare aaaa

Satan's Therapist

Post by Satan's Therapist » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:56 pm

sleepery jeem wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:30 am
Haven't tried the rewind feature yet, will say having to hit the reset button to active the Mini menu has got old quick....might actually be lazy enough to buy myself an extra long USB cable just so that I can sit back with the Mini by my side instead of under the TV.

:? and why the smeg does FF3 have a two player option on it :?

I had a look at the game guides https://www.nintendo.co.jp/clvs/manuals ... index.html but I couldn't spot anything.

Anyway back to Mario....

:shock: after reading the games manual turns out you don't lose any EXP. you've gathered when you die, first RPG I've ever had that in for sure.

:!: DING LEVEL UP :!:

:!: DOUBLE DING NEW SPELL :!:
Regarding the rewind feature I use the home
button on a Wii classic pro controller via an
extension lead brought from Amazon.

EDIT: unless you're really wanting to use the
snes pad.
Add me on live

Gamer tag Chaosphere616

*OneTwo*

Post by *OneTwo* » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:49 pm

Clever girl...

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:25 pm

Someone has put together a program to put custom ROMs on the Snes Mini and you can download a pre-release version here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread. ... 1&page=156

But you're better off waiting for the stable release.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:37 pm

:lol: surprised it took this long.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:58 pm

One-armed dwarf wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:25 pm
Someone has put together a program to put custom ROMs on the Snes Mini and you can download a pre-release version here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread. ... 1&page=156

But you're better off waiting for the stable release.

The games shed has a vid up : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1DdDYT9z8M tempting as it offers a way to fix reset to the controller.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:18 pm

SNES Classic Mini - How to upload custom backgrounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mkt9vRAKTE

Also...

Super Nintendo Classic Edition and Controller Teardown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4j6i_AbyKk

And...

Nintendo's Classic Mini SNES has sold over 360,000 units in Japan during its opening week, Famitsu has revealed. While we've yet to receive Famitsu's full hardware charts for last week, the publication took to its own website this morning to state the highly-sought after micro console shifted 368,913 in its first four days on sale based on its preliminary report, meaning it had a more successful launch than the Nintendo Switch.

The Switch, by comparison, launched to 330,637 unit sales in Japan back on March 3rd 2017, but this only had three days on shelves compared to the Classic Mini SNES's four days. The Classic Mini SNES console launched on October 5th in Japan, and Famitsu closed its report on October 8th.

Regardless, this will almost certainly make it the best-selling piece of hardware for the week, as even the week before last's Switch hardware sales only reached 74,500.

Famitsu is expecting the console to be a strong seller for the rest of the year, too, provided Nintendo can keep up with demand: "In the future, we expect further growth in sales volume for Christmas and the end-of-year sales battle," Famitsu said.

The Classic Mini SNES has been in hot demand all over the world ever since it first launched in Europe and the US at the end of last month, with retailers selling out almost as soon as new stock arrives. Nintendo promised to improve the stock situation before launch to try and prevent a repeat of the Classic Mini NES debacle last year, but the console has still been very difficult to get hold regardless.

Still, with Nintendo now promising to continue shipping the console well into 2018 (it originally stated it would only ship it until the end of the 2017), stock should hopefully start arriving more frequently over the coming months. Indeed, it's even confirmed the Classic Mini NES is going back into production, so that too should start reappearing on shop shelves sometime next year.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:51 pm

SNES Classic Mini - How To Upload Custom Menu Music!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tS5GX6DJFo

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:03 am

:| ok not a Plug N Play (more under the Retro Gaming), but its interesting that standalones like this still have a market...

The Super NT is Analogue’s most affordable console yet

https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/16/1648 ... o-analogue

:? does seem bizarre that people will pay silly amounts when original machines are in ready supply second hand.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:37 am

How Star Fox 2 Made It Into The Super Nintendo Classic Edition

To mark the release of the Super Nintendo Classic Edition, Famitsu recently ran a series of interviews about the production of the console with the Kazuhiro Maruyama from Hardware development department, Takao Shimizu from the Planning and development department, and Kazuyoshi Nishi from the Business department. One of the topics discussed was why Star Fox 2 made it into the selection of games after the cancelled release back in 1996. Here are some highlights:

Famitsu: Could you tell us how including the mythical Star Fox 2 on the Super Nintendo Classic Edition became a reality?

Takao Shimizu, Planning and development: From the beginning when we were thinking what we would add to a hypothetical SNES Classic, one of the issues were the titles that utilized the Super-FX chip, such as Star Fox and Yoshi’s Island. Of course, we knew about Star Fox 2, and we were talking about adding those titles if we could emulate the Super-FX chip.

Kazuhiro Maruyama, Hardware development: At the time, we didn’t know if the emulator would work or not.

Shimizu: In the end, we wouldn’t know unless we let NERD (Nintendo European Research & Development) try their hand at it, so they tried to work it out on the side while developing the NES Classic. Something else that was crucial was that we found the completed data for Star Fox 2 that still existed, in both Japanese and English.

Nishi: That really was important.

Shimizu: The source code still existed as well, so we thought we could finally work on it properly. Producer Shimada and the director of Star Fox 2, Eguchi negotiated with Miyamoto, and handed the data to NERD. After that, Super-FX chip emulation started.

Famitsu: Star Fox 2 is being released for the first time, so did you treat it differently compared to other titles on the SNES Classic?

Maruyama: Firstly, we tested to see if it was objectively fun to play. Just in case, maybe, the game was better off left as a myth. (laughs)

Shimizu: But the results showed that it was good, so it got included.