The Evil Within 2 |OT| Ordinary World

Chat about anything you like, as long as it's games related.
Blakey

Re: The Evil Within 2 |OT| Are you sure the only you is you?

Post by Blakey » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:07 am

Had a killer migraine all day so by the time it went off I only managed to squeeze in 2 hours, 16 total. Up to Chapter 11.

I don't really, it was probably the migraine still affecting me more than anything but I didn't have too good a time with it really, you're led straight into a new Antagonist, and put into this Church catacomb-type locale with plenty of enemies, was almost a direct sequel to the Church level in the first game and some of it looked like DOOM, so I'm thinking there may of been a bit of asset overlap? Who knows. Anyway, this locale just didn't do it for me really, I thought it was a bit dull compared to the game up to that point, lacking in any colour, and just made me think I was back in the first game rather than this one.

Things definitely got a bit better after I got out of the Church catacombs, I awakened to find I randomly had a new female ally fighting alongside me? That was incredibly random, even for this. Things went very RE4 where we had to defend a room of incoming enemies, before a long stealth section which included new fire-zombies that light up and down at will so they're harder to sneak up on.

Made me way back to The Marrow with my new allyand to the nearest safe-house and called it a day. So yeah, a mixed bag really, I guess I feel after the end of Chapter 9 it has been a bit of an anticlimax and not really pushed on in the way I would've liked, no idea how far in I am, but my gut tells me I'm probably 2/3 in now.

A couple of pics:

MFGamers Twitter
“Let fascism find not even a single passage to power or else that poisonous snake will infiltrate into the every vital corner of the country and kill the future of the nation!” - Mehmet Murat ildan

Blakey

Re: The Evil Within 2 |OT| Are you sure the only you is you?

Post by Blakey » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:25 pm

Finished this earlier, took me 22 hours in total according to Steam.

It was a really great ride, and surprisingly emotional at times towards the end.

I still think it really loses a lot of momentum after the first Antagonist is put to rest. The game struggles to find its footing and rushes to make you pissed at these two new antagonists for the rest of the game, but their whole aesthetic and art style were nothing compared to Stefano for me, he just had such a Sander Cohen (Bioshock) vibe to me, this mad artist, tons and tons of personality and I loved the way he messes with you.

But the gruff Preacher afterwards is a bit of a damp squid and his locales feel incredibly recycled from the first game. There's some really cool throwbacks to Resi in there, one of the chapters has you exploring some of the Mobius laboratories and they looked and felt SO like some of the shady underground Umbrella labs from that series, some of the action elements, melodrama and monster designs felt much more aligned to RE in this than the first game too.

Up until Chapter 9 I was incredibly besotted with it, but that lull in the middle hurts the whole pace of things significantly and if the last 3-4 chapters hadn't been as good as they were then I think I would've ended up enjoying the first game a hell of a lot better. I won't spoil the shenanigans that happen in Chapter 14, but let's just say if you loved/played the first game then I think you'll adore this chapter ;) It ends pretty much how you expect when you first start the game but with some little twists and turns along the way, there's a underlying theme of sacrifice to pretty much all the games key plot points and it's no different at the end. What surprised me too was how beautiful the final level was, it's the huge snowy landscape with the music swelling up and seeming to ponder on the wind, you're free to gradually make your way through this and then eventually to the house on the hill to await your fate.

There's this incredibly kickass segment where you control Kidman breaking out of Mobius (all very Umbrella again), ducking behind cover and shooting a ton of Mobius agents to rescue Sebastian and Lily from STEM, just such a nice touch.

Comparing this to the first game, the technical side is night and day really, the first game was pretty rough around the edges in places, looked like the cross-gen game it was and the frame-rate struggled a lot on certain platforms. This feels SO much smoother, I was able to run it at a consistent 60 on PC but I understand console versions run at a pretty stable 30 most of the time. I do think it's much more accessible to newcomers as well, the lower difficulties added (although I personally haven't tried them) seem to cater much more to newcomers and the semi-open world design allows new players to get the hang of all the mechanics and enemies at play without being penalised for it.

Where it falls short to the first game is boss fights and monster design. It's just nowhere near a memorable tale either, certain heart-stopping moments like facing Laura, the Keeper et al. in the first game and how fucking fantastic those fights were, how tense they were just aren't present in this at all. There are a few boss fights, and the one against Stefano is by far and away the standout of the game (the final boss' monster design is great too) but they just don't feel anywhere near as memorable or menacing as the first game.

It's odd, I was really expecting to be sitting here typing this saying that I much preferred the first game and that this isn't quite as good. But I don't feel that way now, as mentioned above I feel like the first game is more memorable in terms of locales and enemy designs, but that game had a lot of rough edges and certain mechanics that not many folk were willing to put up with to get to the end, whereas with this it's a much easier, less stuffy story (and experience) to get stuck into. It's much more forgiving and eases you into this mad world rather than throwing you in the deep-end and hoping you can swim in the first game. So I really like both, but in different ways, I felt like the first was more of a harrowing ride through hell, whereas this was more of a Liam Neeson style revenge action-flick with horror elements.

So yeah, there's still nothing quite like TEW really, I really am so very pleased we still have games like this around, it hearkens back to Resi a lot more than TEW1 I thought, maintains a much more consistent vision, feels a more confident, less schizophrenic game and players of RE will definitely get more of a kick out of this.

It really is a gem.

MFGamers Twitter
“Let fascism find not even a single passage to power or else that poisonous snake will infiltrate into the every vital corner of the country and kill the future of the nation!” - Mehmet Murat ildan