Super Mario Odyssey |OT| Jump up, Super Star!

Chat about anything you like, as long as it's games related.
Blakey

Re: Super Mario Odyssey |OT| Jump up, Super Star!

Post by Blakey » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:24 am

Stayed in the Snow Kingdom and mopped up everything there, found a ton more Moons so it was definitely worth it! There was one behind one of the hat doors which was the toughest yet, you had to use the fast-flowers to run on the water through a tightly designed course, whilst avoiding obstacles and jumping inbetween Platforms. Struggled a lot I have to say, must've taken me 10-20 tries to get the Moon, was relieved, then saw there was another one on a higher platform so tried a few more times and got this one as well, most satisfying one I've got so far for sure!

Then onto the Seaside Kingdom.

Great vibes to this place, reminded me a lot (and made me miss) Isle Delfino from Sunshine. Just such jolly vibes, loved the songs that played whilst exploring as well, almost every Kingdom when I'm done I find myself thinking 'that was a really cool Kingdom!' I think the only one I've not liked so far is this Lost Kingdom really, all the rest have been fantastic.

Lots of swimming about as a fish here, loved the squirty squid things as well, there's some really nice platforming sections that take advantage of these. The boss fight was great too, maybe the toughest so far as I died once and had to scamper about desperately for hearts on my second try when I was almost out of health, took me a while how to figure out how to damage it but I got there eventually.

Did lots more exploring after and mopped up all the Moons I could find, think I'm at about 37-45 for this Kingdom so far which is pretty decent going, definitely feels like I've made a good dent into the total and am ready to move onto the next place.

Looked at my Switch profile when I was done and it says I've clocked 20 hours in this already  don't know where the time has gone. Such a fantastically compelling game, I think the mini-games alone I could put some serious hours into if I wanted too, amazing stuff.
MFGamers Twitter
“Let fascism find not even a single passage to power or else that poisonous snake will infiltrate into the every vital corner of the country and kill the future of the nation!” - Mehmet Murat ildan

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:47 pm

20 hours for your progress really seems a lot, I had between 15 and 19 (unfortunately the clock isn't super precise) when I beat the boss.

Think I never mentioned this here but I absolutely love it. Out of every post-64 Mario it's probably the one I enjoyed the most. Comparing it to Mario 64 is difficult because that game was an industry wide game changer but Odyssey definitely got me hooked slightly more than 3D World, Galaxy and Sunshine, though on some days I'd probably say it's equal to Galaxy.

I'm currently having a short break until I feel fresh again to get back to the post-game stuff but so far, for me, this is the GOTY.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:49 pm

Play Zelda and stop being elf racist

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:49 pm

Oh no, my bad that’s Dwarf :)

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:57 pm

Well obviously the dwarf is elf racist. I think that's even considered canon by Tolkien.

*OneTwo*

Post by *OneTwo* » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:07 pm

:lol:

Shadowman

Post by Shadowman » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:48 pm

Continued to revisit the various kingdoms to get more moons post game. New Donk City remains a firm favourite, plus it has a great (and predictable) retro homage located in a theater so it gets extra points for that! Almost at 600 moons now, and I should be done revisiting places soon so I can finally crack on with the extra areas unlocked after finishing the game.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:44 pm

Oh my god

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:23 pm

This is pretty much how I feel about it all

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:40 pm

Shadowman

Post by Shadowman » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:16 pm

638 moons down now. Managed to master the whole jump > mid air leap/roll > cap jump > mid air cap throw > roll for the maximum air time and distance. Pretty much required if you want to get the second power star in the wooded kingdom Koopa race.

Finished off exploring New Donk City again, cleared a couple more world revisits and have now reached the Luncheon Kingdom again, it'll take me a while to explore this one further no doubt! While I'm not so much a fan of some of the new post game moons that are just placed in easy to reach places, some others are well thought out and require some platforming skill to reach, which I'm a huge fan of!

Also, cool pics Maf.

Blakey

Re: Super Mario Odyssey |OT| Crazy Taxi

Post by Blakey » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:48 pm

maf-me-quick wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:06 pm
Blakey wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:39 pm
This is where Maf looks very silly :lol:

Reviews:

98% average from 45 critic reviews on OpenCritic:

http://opencritic.com/game/4504/super-mario-odyssey

97% average from 59 critic reviews on Metacritic:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/s ... sey?ref=hp
We’ll see.

Never forget, I want it to be good, I’m just not sure it will be
maf-me-quick wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:44 pm
Oh my god
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

8)
MFGamers Twitter
“Let fascism find not even a single passage to power or else that poisonous snake will infiltrate into the every vital corner of the country and kill the future of the nation!” - Mehmet Murat ildan

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:17 am

I'm still very early in the game. I've only got to Kingdom 4. But I have to say even though I like this game, there is something about it that isn't wholly working for me. I don't know what it is yet, and in fairness I'm still traversing areas I've seen bits of in trailers and clips and stuff, so maybe when I come across something brand new it will really blow me away. But I don't know. I can't tell if the structure to this game is good or bad. It's all just a bit...hollow.

Also the repetition in ideas already is a bit hmm...

I don't know. I don't know what I was expecting but this game is simultaneously being too much like old Mario and not enough like old Mario. Like structurally it's very chaotic, but the way you solve that chaos is very simple. It more feels like it's littered with stuff rather than challenges. Unlike say the structure of Mario 64 which was like playing 6 levels at once that all crossed paths with each other, or the challenge of Mario Galaxy that had one idea per level that played out in a straight line, but they really hammered each one home and blew the doors off with whatever concept they were playing with. Odyssey feels like it's gone half way in both directions, making the game feel very light weight.

Having said that I like it a lot. I'm not trying to say I don't like the new Mario game, I very much do. But so far it's neither as weird or stretching it's legs and experimenting as much as I thought it might, and it's also not classic obstacle course enough to push old skills in new places.

I don't know. I like taking pictures. The Mario model has never looked better.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:57 am

Odyssey feels like they tried to make a modern day Mario 64 but took too many modern video game influences

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:12 am

If Odyssey was an RPG the first four worlds would be the starting area where you'd have to kill rats, bring back stray sheep and resolve some random romantic dilemma between the fisher boy and the farmer's girl.

There's a lot of cool stuff still coming and most of it really unexpected. If you don't like it by world 9 or so there's probably no hope left for you but right now you've only seen the 'worst' parts of the game.