Resident Evil 7 |OT| F.E.A.R.

Chat about anything you like, as long as it's games related.
One-armed dwarf

Re: Resident Evil 7

Post by One-armed dwarf » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:03 am

I mean as a reboot which has no connection to what came before. Until they went '**** it, include some reference to that crap portable Resi no-one played'.
🌚

*OneTwo*

Post by *OneTwo* » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:22 am

I can't think of a reboot that completely changed up what the original game was about. There's always usually a link.

It may be first person not third, and not enough on the action but it's still survival horror at least. I've not played it but that's the vibe I get.

Even not playing it I see no link to DmC so threw me off there :?

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:32 am

DmC was a complete clean slate which had nothing to do with the earlier games. This feels like that.
🌚

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:36 am

Kind of feel like there's lots of links between DMC and it's reboot. A lot of it's reinterpreted but then it's a reboot and not a remake so that's fine. Outside of the core gameplay I think it changed for the better.

This Resident Evil also has a thematic connection to the first game that it's essentially a haunted house style game. Whether it was always meant to be a Reaident Evil game is doubtful but I see some connections to that franchise.

The big, new, weird reboot is Prey. That looks like it has zero to do with the game that came before.

*OneTwo*

Post by *OneTwo* » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:49 am

One-armed dwarf wrote:DmC was a complete clean slate which had nothing to do with the earlier games. This feels like that.
Again I didn't play the reboot but is it not an action-adventure hack and slash game? If so there's your first connection. Going from that to survival FPS horror is a stretch. So completely different you may aswell have a new IP.

I do agree it probably started out as a new IP perhaps. It's not a direction I'm particularly enthralled about but I will play it. I might do the REmake first for comparison.

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:22 am

I don't get the confusion here. What I'm saying is that it feels like RE7 was developed as Resident Evil Reboot and become REVII later (possibly anticipating backlash). Nothing to do with genres or gameplay.
🌚

*OneTwo*

Post by *OneTwo* » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:49 am

Because you confused the situation by bringing in DmC.
One-armed dwarf wrote: I think this was intended as a new IP entirely or possibly a DmC reboot.
Thought you meant this was directly supposed to be a reboot of that IP. Which is nuts. I think you meant in comparison with its respective series.

I think REVII is in essence a reboot for the franchise. Maybe not in character/story but certainly in gameplay/genre. Definitely wanting to freshen it up and take it a new direction.

Shame :cry:

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:58 am

Yeah it's the 7 that's weird

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:40 pm

I think PT has proven to be really revolutionary for such an incomplete thing. Which is cool.

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:09 pm

Tried to play a bit, hit a really terrible boss fight. Worse than chainsaw one. Going to be a while until I beat it I think if they keep having these shit bosses. Only good one was Margeurite
🌚

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:34 pm

Ok I done did it now. Game beat

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.c ... 54493861C/

Very spotty overall I thought. Good direction for the series to go in (basically backwards to the old style but with modern RE4 aiming) but really terrible enemies other than the Margeurite boss. The game should not have bothered much with the family members I think after Jack and maybe had more to do than fight the goo blob things.

I feel confused by the way things went. Almost nothing ties it into old RE games barring two very throwaway things. One is a newspaper referencing Racoon City. The other is a strange thing I don't understand at all but apparently there is DLC related to it coming 'SPRING 2017' called 'Not A Hero' which they advertise right at the fucking end after this really weird scene which had me scratching my head which is like what the **** :x

I think the DLC is the true ending?

:evil: :evil: :evil:

I bet if I played RE6 none of this would make sense still.
🌚

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:41 pm

Only one way to find out!

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:01 am

Does RE6 end strangely in a way that appears to contradict or muddle series history and try to sell you on DLC as well?

Anyone want to give me the TL;DR on that thing. Like what is it even supposed to be. All I remember is C-Virus and Neo-Umbrella. That was the first 2 hours of Leon maybe.
🌚

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:10 am

Here is everything I know about the story of Resident Evil

Jill is the master of unlocking

That blood is Chris's

A tofu breakout decimated Racoon City

They're not Zombies any more they're...Not Zombies

There's a virus that is slowly making it's way through the alphabet

Wesker's too legit to quit

When in doubt, egg 'em.

I think I got all the important parts?

Shadowman

Post by Shadowman » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:35 pm

One-armed dwarf wrote:Does RE6 end strangely in a way that appears to contradict or muddle series history and try to sell you on DLC as well?

Anyone want to give me the TL;DR on that thing. Like what is it even supposed to be. All I remember is C-Virus and Neo-Umbrella. That was the first 2 hours of Leon maybe.
6 has a bollocks story that really goes fucking nowhere. I loved that game but the story could have been removed and nothing of any importance would be lost (except for maybe a couple of unintentionally funny scenes between Leon and Chris).

Basically:

Ada is cloned and her evil clone is being evil for some reason. Someone high in in the presidents inner circle (I forget his exact position) is really running Neo Umbrella and is responsible for cloning Ada. He is the one that unleashes the zombie outbreak in Leon's chapter. You kill the head of Neo Umbrella after a 3 week boss fight (it lasts almost as long as later Metroid Prime 2 bosses), as he falls to his death he is impaled on a massive spike, his blood dripping down to pool on the floor which forms the Umbrella logo (which is actually a nicely done moment, I'll give the game that). I forget what Chris' story was about except him wanting to stop the bioterrorists and stopping a massive monster that would probably cause the end of the world (or something). As for Jake, Sherry was chasing after him because he is immune to the virus, but weirdly his story really has little to no overlap to the main story as he's chased by Nemesis lite for the entire game. As for Ada, her chapter just plain sucked, such a waste.

So seriously, don't play RE6 for the story, it makes no damned sense. And there is no surprise that it seems like 7 completely side steps the plot entirely, there is 0 references to it in the main game that I've seen, though the rather bizarre ending twists could fill in the gaps between the two when the DLC is released. We'll have to wait and see.

As for 7 itself, I finished it this afternoon. Its weird, it just sort of... ends. There really is no big end boss battle that requires all that ammo you've been saving, I had so much ammo that I assumed I would run into a Tyrant class boss but got something that was basically an interactive cutscene. Not since God of War Ascension have I felt that a game just ends so abruptly. Up to that point I really enjoyed the game, the story is great, the setting is brilliant (best its been since RE4 easily) and the mix of puzzles and exploration with a bit of action were a welcome change. The final little bit just throws that away for full on action and that's perfectly fine, just kills the tension since I was armed to the teeth, those ink things didn't stand a chance!