Resident Evil 7 |OT| F.E.A.R.

Chat about anything you like, as long as it's games related.
Blakey

Resident Evil 7 |OT| F.E.A.R.

Post by Blakey » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:16 am

Developer: Capcom
Publisher: Capcom
Platform: XBOne, PS4, PC
Release Date: January 24th, 2017.

Eurogamer preview of the first 5 hours:

https://youtu.be/nGXgI46XSYM

Sounds bloody amazing :)
Last edited by Blakey on Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MFGamers Twitter
“Let fascism find not even a single passage to power or else that poisonous snake will infiltrate into the every vital corner of the country and kill the future of the nation!” - Mehmet Murat ildan

*OneTwo*

Re: Resident Evil 7

Post by *OneTwo* » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:06 am

Hmmm. I'm looking forward to this but also slightly disappointed in its direction. I don't get what she was on about in that video. Resident Evil by and large was an action horror game. Survival mainly being the managing of ammo and health items. Creepy music, Shock scares, light puzzling, and selection of enemies to blast to pieces. Great fun :)

I agree they lost themselves after four. But I didn't want it changing completely. This is nothing like what I remember. it has more in common with more recent survival horror with strong hints to stuff like Outlast and even the PT/Silent Hill demo. Other games like Silent Hill or Alone in the Dark were more survival horror and used fear in more twisted and subtle ways with less emphasis on combat.

An issue? Perhaps. I like variety. I don't think we need more 'walking horrors'. I'd like more of Resi2/3/Veronica/four :cry:

Shadowman

Post by Shadowman » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:55 pm

More like Outlast/PT is actually the direction I wanted. I've been purposely not viewing new content as I want to go in almost completely fresh. I did love the demo though and can't wait for the release date (especially as Yakuza 0 is due out on the same day!)

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:58 pm

Resi is a difficult one for me really, I never played the originals so don't have any love for them, discovered the series with the REmake on GC and hated it (playing in Japanese wasn't ideal either), quite liked RE0 but got stuck early on again so abandoned it.

My next experience was RE4 on the GC which I loved as I felt I could finally play a RE game as I didn't have to put up with all the tank controls etc. Never actually finished it though, got up to the bit with Ashley I think.

So yeah, RE5 was the first game in the series I completed, quite enjoyed it, one of the few who liked RE6 too but I do see the complaints many had though and at that point RE was more CoD/Gears than what it originaklgy was so massive kudos to Capcom for taking the series back to its roots.

Obviously the first person viewpoint is contentious as RE has never had that, and it is a similar style to other popular horror games released in the last few years, but that's no bad thing for me. All it needs to do is be similar to Alien Isolation (in terms of being stalked by enemies and feeling isolated, weak and an oppressive atmosphere) and I'll love it a lot.

We'll have to see how well Capcom manage to pull it off, but I'm confident it'll be great, I loved Alien Isolation and liked Outlast so I'm sure I'll like it, also think its a bit disingenuous and unfair to call them 'walking horrors'.
MFGamers Twitter
“Let fascism find not even a single passage to power or else that poisonous snake will infiltrate into the every vital corner of the country and kill the future of the nation!” - Mehmet Murat ildan

*OneTwo*

Post by *OneTwo* » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:41 pm

It's not disingenuous and unfair. It's a genre. A method of describing what they are so in conversation you can relate. I don't get why people get in a huff about 'walking' being attached to a lot of more recent games. Maybe if it's meant in a derogatory tone but I don't mean it that way. Some people don't like these kind if experiences so it's a god way of getting across what it is.

Anyway I'm sure I'll like this but if it goes the same way as others already mentioned it'll be a case of familiar territory. I miss old Resi. They fucked up the formula. It's not that is wasn't fun anymore. Anything close to it was Dead Space and they messed that up aswell.

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:43 pm

I think it looks promising but recent footage has been too heavy on body horror aspect. PT this aint

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:24 pm

*OneTwo* wrote:It's not disingenuous and unfair. It's a genre. A method of describing what they are so in conversation you can relate. I don't get why people get in a huff about 'walking' being attached to a lot of more recent games. Maybe if it's meant in a derogatory tone but I don't mean it that way. Some people don't like these kind if experiences so it's a god way of getting across what it is.
That's fair enough, I guess it comes from the term 'walking simulator' having a negative connotation to many, and calling something a walking horror conjures up similar negative connotations in my mind is all. People don't call FPS' 'walking shooters' so for me first person horror is how I refer to this particular sub genre in the survival horror branch.
MFGamers Twitter

*OneTwo*

Post by *OneTwo* » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:23 pm

Yeah there is a lot of negativity attached to it especially around the PC scene (forums and game discussion - mainly because there is more of them). PC has loads of these kind if games and it can get saturating which is where a lot of the negativity comes from I think. I like the term 'walking' as it describes it quite well when I'm talking to people. Generally there's little in way of gameplay mechanics. No combat or item management. Just walking and experiencing. First person horror is ok but it's like 'what? left for dead? Condemned? :roll: so I end up explaining more.

FPS and other genres have been around years and it's an easier description. There's variety within on that though. Portal technically is an FPS but is a puzzle game.

So when I say walking it's not a criticism. Nor should it be. Stanley Parable - 'Walking' satirical comedy....thing. Outlast - 'Walking' horror. Gone home - 'Walking' story experience. You instantly get the idea.

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:24 pm

http://re7experiencelondon.com/

Apparently you can do creepy zombie hillbilly stuff with a friend/partner in London to coincide with the release of RE7

Apparently the zombie hillbillies live near my workplace so I gotta be more careful on my commute I suppose... :o

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:25 pm

The experience thing sounds pretty good but - turning up at a place in London at 1130 each day for the chance of 1 of just 28 daily timeslots doesn't sound too appealing.

thenerdds

Post by thenerdds » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:15 pm

Definitely looking forward to this!!!

RapidMollusc

Post by RapidMollusc » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:17 pm

I enjoyed the Opening Hour demo...it's a bit too obtuse to get the real ending (the good and bad are easy though) mind without a guide. While nothing like what has been before it in the series there was that moment of panic and fumbling around (which leads to death invariably) which felt akin to Resident Evil games of old.
Nintendo ID: Jodhopper

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:44 pm

Which did you play? The original or patched version?

Only played the original version myself but the patched seems much more well formed in my opinion.
MFGamers Twitter

RapidMollusc

Post by RapidMollusc » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:32 pm

Blakey wrote:Which did you play? The original or patched version?

Only played the original version myself but the patched seems much more well formed in my opinion.
I'll assume the patched version as I only got around to it a few days back
Nintendo ID: Jodhopper

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:43 pm

Ah OK that's cool, I watched a YT play through of that, crazy how different it is to the original version.
MFGamers Twitter