Sonic Mania

Chat about anything you like, as long as it's games related.
Blakey

Re: Sonic Mania

Post by Blakey » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:54 am

Played a bit of the Japanese Sonic Forces demo.

I actually had a lot of fun with it. The demo itself is very strange as it doesn't let you finish the stage and times out after a minute, but even so I played each stage multiple times to give me a good flavour of what to expect.

The first stage is a standard 3D/2D Sonic level, if you've played Sonic Generations/Colours/Unleashed etc. you'll be familiar with what I mean. You zip along at break neck speed pressing B on the odd occasion to hone in on sets of enemies whilst you're running, go round lots of cool looking loops and encounter some weird-ass larger than life enemies. The only addition of note was the boost button, I believe it fills up with rings or something and when you press it it essentially allows you to go to super-speed mode, you no longer have to press B to hit enemies, you just plough straight through them only having to jump occasionally. So yeah, it's a little weird to have Sonic fast and then Super-fast, but it works and the sense of speed was great I thought.

Next up was a boss encounter, basically the Sonic 1 Green Hill Zone Robotnik boss but rezzed up for 2017. After you think you've defeated him he warps to a second phase and you have to knock boulders he throws at you back at him. All quite standard Sonic stuff really, wasn't bad.

Finally, the one I was dreading, the 'created avatar' stage. The avatar I had was equipped with a grappling hook so she could swing on floating orbs throughout the stage and also a machine-gun type thing where you could hold down a button and mow down groups of enemies, the latter sounds really dopey I know but it felt good and satisfying to use in the course of the stage on offer.

Also, here's a review from a YTer that got a copy early:

https://youtu.be/hqX6tQtjaAk

Polygon got an early copy too (5/10):

https://www.polygon.com/2017/11/5/16609 ... ces-review
MFGamers Twitter
“Let fascism find not even a single passage to power or else that poisonous snake will infiltrate into the every vital corner of the country and kill the future of the nation!” - Mehmet Murat ildan

Shadowman

Post by Shadowman » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:55 am

Boost button isn't new, its been in since Unleashed I think? The problem here is that you can just hold down boost and that's it. Its devoid of any obstacles, multiple paths or challenge in the demo. And bar the Famitsu review (which seems laughable) most other impressions I've read from people who have played the game already all agree it sucks and has terrible level "design". Its a colossal step back from the last few Sonic 3D games (well, never played Boom so can't comment). Even Lost World which I had issues with at least had interesting level design, especially for the first few worlds. I actually had fun with that one. Forces is a cheap purchase at most.

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:05 am

Fair enough, I didn't play much of Unleashed or Generations so maybe that's why? Who knows.

I remember liking Lost World a lot though.

But yeah, I just thought this was fun, the boost was OP for sure but I just kind of smiled at the speed of it all, maybe that sounds silly who knows :lol: I've not properly played 3D Sonic game since Lost World and that seems years ago now (2013?) so I guess I'm just hankering after some new 3D Sonic.

I did get Forces for £21.50 with Tesco vouchers as well, which obviously helps.
Last edited by Blakey on Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MFGamers Twitter
“Let fascism find not even a single passage to power or else that poisonous snake will infiltrate into the every vital corner of the country and kill the future of the nation!” - Mehmet Murat ildan

Shadowman

Post by Shadowman » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:25 am

It really doesn't help the game that Mania was released just a couple of months back. For me Mania ticked all the boxes of what a Sonic game should be while Forces is everything the game shouldn't be. The biggest one being level design - Mania nailed this perfectly with some really huge levels that I could spend ages exploring all the different routes. From the demo and pre release material I've seen nothing to suggest that Forces would offer me anything close to similar.
Seems like it was rushed/troubled in development as it took them 4 years to come up with this - a really linear, incredibly short (people are saying the game is around 4 hours long?) game. I guess it just annoys me that with Generations, Unleashed and Colours Sega were actually turning a corner in terms of 3D Sonic. They had some great ideas and level design that kept the speed but also required skill to clear them. That and it still boggles my mind how Sonic Team took 4 years to come up with this, yet Sega's Yakuza team manage to come up with a fresh, high quality game (or significantly changed remake) every year.

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:49 am

Slight correction: Sonic's boost was introduced in Sonic Rush.

I have the game on pre-order because just like Blakey I found it for really cheap a few weeks back. Not that interested to be honest but then again even Sonic 06 and Unleashed had some nice stages so maybe I find something I like in here, too.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:29 am

"Make the Left Hate again"

Paolo Gerbaodo : Kings College London.

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:09 am

I actually kinda like there's a team-up with the bad gues as well. Having Chaos, Metal Sonic, Shadow and that dude from Lost World together is a nice idea.

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:36 pm

Well it's here...

MFGamers Twitter

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:40 pm

I like how they used the space on the cover. Some artworks looks really weird on Switch cases because they just shrink everything but here everything has its place.

Surprised you went with the Switch version though. It looks noticeably better on the other platforms.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:41 pm

Maryokutai wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:09 am
I actually kinda like there's a team-up with the bad gues as well. Having Chaos, Metal Sonic, Shadow and that dude from Lost World together is a nice idea.
A team up of bad guys is not the worst idea in the world, but I keep getting hit with a trailer on YT that starts with Knuckles saying “Our cities are falling”

Like you what, bro?

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:50 pm

Maryokutai wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:40 pm
Surprised you went with the Switch version though. It looks noticeably better on the other platforms.
True, but I bloody love my Switch, what can I say :D

Getting RIME, LA Noire and Xeno 2 for XMAS too (also tempted by RE Rev Collection and LEGO Marvel 2)
MFGamers Twitter

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:23 pm

Apparently this game on Switch and Xbox is bad and on the Pro and the X it’s only slightly better than base PS4

Why can’t Sonic T am give even the slightest shit? Disband this studio. Bad ideas done badly. Fuk’em.

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:55 pm

It's garbage on PC apparently lol, runs at all sorts of shit framerates

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:18 pm

This all seems like Sonic 06 all over again, with the lack of optimization and stuff.

Hopefully the game is functional at least.

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:00 am

Maryokutai wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:18 pm
This all seems like Sonic 06 all over again, with the lack of optimization and stuff.

Hopefully the game is functional at least.
It's apparently nowhere near as bad as that or BOOM, technically it's not a buggy mess.

It's just not as good as Colours/Generations apparently.

Also, our boy Jim Sterling liked it a lot:

https://youtu.be/2L8EagIkvys
MFGamers Twitter