Telltale's Batman (Spoilers)

Chat about anything you like, as long as it's games related.
maf-me-quick

Re: Telltale's Batman

Post by maf-me-quick » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:16 pm

Played through episode 1.

FANTASTIC

Absolutely fucking brilliant writing and what a clever way to get at Batman. The thing I was worried about was what the dialogue options were going to be, because I'm trying to role play this as Batman as much as possible, but instead of there ever only being one 'correct' option (At least to me) there's a few times when all 3 are suitable options. Which can make decision making very intense.

Loved this. Loved this to bits.

The only gripes I have are generic to Telltale games and that's the fidelity of the game. Not only do all the characters look very stilted and robotic, it actually effects some of the action gameplay. There are times when I feel like QTE prompts are gone as soon as they appear, but maybe I'm just slow.

But it's not game breaking (So far) by any stretch. Thankfully the game is forgiving that if you miss the odd one it's like whatever. But overall this is a brilliant Batman game. Different from the Arkham games, obviously. But definitely playing to it's strengths and it all fits the Batman character very nicely.

Oh. So good. Am going to play an episode a day and am VERY EXCITED ago play it again tomorrow because damn what a cliff hanger.

Fucking. Awesome.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:37 pm

Lol and as soon as I finished writing my post about how great it and went to back out to the main menu the controls stopped working and I had to quit app and restart. Okay, so there might be bigger technical mishegas tucked away in here.

Also this disc has 30 minute interviews with the creators of the game which is awesome. More games should be proud of them selves and come with bonus features like behind the scene docs instead of just letting Danny O'Dwyer do it all.

Shadowman

Post by Shadowman » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:38 am

I agree with Maf. I've just started playing the game, done the first chapter so far and I loved the Bruce/Batman split in the story. Its nice to finally have a Superhero game that remembers that these characters have secret identities (I now want a TT Spidey game, just because it seems that they might actually manage to do Peter justice for once).

Story wise its very interesting so far, I thought the action was well done and I loved the investigation and attack planning stages in the gameplay (especially the attack planning, its a nice addition to the formula).

As for glitches - I wish the game was smoother in places, but its nowhere near as bad as some reviews made its performance out to be. I had the game glitch on the credits? screen as I just got a black screen and music and couldn't quit back to the game menu...

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:43 pm

There was a rumour a while ago now that there would be a Marvel Universe one of these, somehow that turned in to GotG instead.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:23 am

Finished episode 2. Not as strong as episode 1, shorter as well. Technically this runs like ass which is disappointing. The opening scene had massive graphical glitches that really took away from the scene. However still a very exciting episode all in all with a great final action sequence. Hard choice, too. Although I feel I made the right one. I had faith in 'that' character that they were capable of looking after them selves

Also the big twist in the Wayne family that this series is built on is killing me. It can't be true!

EDIT: Oooh! This game knows how to twist all the right knives!

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:03 am

Okay, so I ended up playing through the whole thing. Even though overall I think it's quite good, I would say it peaks at episode 3, with episode 4 being okay, and episode 5 I have issues with.

Even though it's kind of fitting to role play as Batman in this kind of game, him being a sociopath and all, I feel like this is a good Batman story but a so-so Telltale game. I mean, these games are good when as the player you're left to make the choices you think best fit the situation given how you played it up to that point and what you want the most, but in this you're Batman. And Batman do what Batman do. It's hard to not feel like there really is only one answer to a lot of these situations, with other a few binary choices feeling difficult.

I really like what they do with most of the characters in this game, except for one. A key one as well. Actually technically I guess it's two. It works to the twist the knife if you care about Batman fiction at all and I was really hoping they would turn around and be like "It was all lies and a set-up, and here's how" but nope. It is what it is and I'm not sure I like it.

Pretty good overall with some great shocking moments and a cool story, let down, in my opinion, by easy consequence free and in some cases explanation free resolutions which tarnishes characters I like along the way.

Also technical bullshit. The game literally hard carashed on me in the final fight.

In case anyone cares the Platinum is unmissable as well

big mean bunny

Post by big mean bunny » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:11 am

I mentioned to Jax on twitter but I tried the first ep of this and really couldn't get into it. I felt a disconnect between this and the other batman and telltale games. I feel like those choices I were making were ultimately pointless as I've already seen, read and watched so much about the character so it felt even more like I was playing a MEga CD style interactive movie.
Episode 14 now out 14th of Sept - Sega Mega drive £25 games challenge

Invert Y gaming podcast - the only way to play, news, chat and challenges, by gamers, for gamers.

http://invertypodcast.podomatic.com or Invert Y on iTunes

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:43 pm

That's what I was getting at. Although there is no getting away from the fact is fun to act just like Batman

therealjaxon
Location: Starfish Island. Hey, wait a minute....starfish ha ha! - I get it!!

Post by therealjaxon » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:49 pm

big mean bunny wrote:I mentioned to Jax on twitter but I tried the first ep of this and really couldn't get into it. I felt a disconnect between this and the other batman and telltale games. I feel like those choices I were making were ultimately pointless as I've already seen, read and watched so much about the character so it felt even more like I was playing a MEga CD style interactive movie.
I remember that :wink:
A good summary Maf. Everytime this goes on sale I keep hovering on the Buy button but think actually I'll wait until it's sub £10, which is what I done with Tales Of The Borderlands*

And pretty much every TT game to be fair - Maybe thats just tight being tight though :lol:
Twitter: XtherealjaxonX
Argue ye not with fanboys lest ye become a fanboy 8)

Shadowman

Post by Shadowman » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:36 pm

Ok, four episodes down now. Personally, I'm loving it. A big part of that is because I've always been a Harvey Dent/Two Face fan and not one game got him right (Arkham City came the closest, and that still fell way short). But thanks to this series being a interactive adventure/QTE, and they wrote a great plot for Harvey he's ended up being the standout character for me - seeing his decent into paranoia and madness is great. Not sure what to expect of the final episode, but its already a classic for me solely down to how well they nailed Two Face. Please do a season 2.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:58 am

What was your thoughts when the reveal happened at the end of episode 3? I think mine were along the lines of

NO. FUCKING. WAY.

Shadowman

Post by Shadowman » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:38 am

maf-me-quick wrote:What was your thoughts when the reveal happened at the end of episode 3? I think mine were along the lines of

NO. FUCKING. WAY.
Yeah, pretty much. I though it was supposed to be Scarecrow to be honest, so learning that it was a completely different character (and one their secret identity was a real shocker as well, really turned the story on its head). Great stuff, its not just a retelling of Batman's early years but spinning it off in a new and interesting way that managed to give you a great Bruce & Batman story.

maf-me-quick

Re: Telltale's Batman (Spoilers)

Post by maf-me-quick » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:29 pm

I was shocked when it turned out that was who Lady Arkhangelsk was, but I was hoping it wasn't the case. The thing about this game is the way they flip things on it's head is to take all the good things remaining in Batman's life and make them bad as well. I was hoping at some point at least one of these things would have some redemption to them but it never happens.

I think they also revealed the bad guy one episode too early. As soon as I found out who it was I was like well lets go get'em, then you kind of do nothing for an episode. The final one was okay but not strong enough to pull it back for me. It just kind of spoiled it self to early in my opinion

Shadowman

Post by Shadowman » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:01 pm

I loved ep 4 myself, then again as mentioned above I loved Harvey. Oh, and how much of a bastard Penguin was. I love how they took classic characters and put their own take on their stories... but they definitely need to do a second season to build on the universe they are making, thanks to the good QTE's it means even lesser villains (combat wise I mean) can still feature heavily in the story without the entire thing feeling like a cop out when it comes to fighting them (see Arkham Knight).
Oh, and kudos for not overusing The Joker like they so easily could have. So nice to have a game that doesn't use him heavily, plus the way he was used in the game was well done I thought.

Looking briefly at alternate choices seems like I missed the complete Harvey/Two Face transformation. So I'm totally doing a second playthrough choosing different options.

Only thing that confuses me is Killer Croc. You briefly meet him in the second episode then he's in Arkham by episode 4 and I never remember taking him down. An alternate choice maybe? Or just handled off screen? Just seemed like an annoying plot hole to me especially as I barely laid a finger on him when we "fought" initially.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:06 pm

The Joker felt like a short cut to me. We know he's bad, they know he's bad, but Bruce doesn't. It's the first time they've met. And already they give you options that steer away from helping him.

I don't know. Again with Two Face. I know how they write him like a maniac even without destroying half of he's face, but...

I'm having a hard time deciding if their origin stories just aren't as good in this series or I'm having a hard time detaching my self from the comics. Sometimes that just happens to me.