Rise of the Tomb Raider |OT| Snow Raider

Chat about anything you like, as long as it's games related.
Blakey

Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider

Post by Blakey » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:47 am

TR 2013 kick's the ass of U1-U3.

But this, this doesn't kick the ass of anything, it's a poor sequel in my view.

The Arkham City effect if you like, needlessly open areas that completely ruin the pace of the game, nowhere near as good as TR 2013 in my view.

But yeah, Uncharted 4 is a GOAT contender and kicks the ass of a whole load of games (although TR 2013 comes close).

U4
TR 2013
U:TLL
U1
U2
RotTR
U3

would be my list.

You wouldn't of got a TR 2013 in the first place if it wasn't for Uncharted.
MFGamers Twitter
“Nationalism is an infantile thing. It is the measles of mankind.” - Albert Einstein

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:11 am

I don't really see the needlessly open areas. One of the very first areas in the game is a bit too large (and also filled with relatively boring content) but that's about it. I think everything else that comes after that is really nicely paced, even the village which adds a bit of context to sidequests and exploration. I definitely prefer Rise over the reboot because it's closer to the classic Metroid formula. The Reboot had those elements as well but it wasn't until your arrival at the beach that backtracking became worthwhile. In Rise there's a continuous back and forth between story progress and optional exploration that fits the genre way better.

For that reason they can't really be compared to Uncharted, which are mediocre and linear shooting games with a bit of platforming thrown into the mix. Yes, what you see and hear in those games is (or was for its time) top notch but when watching a game is more fun than playing it I'm out. Unless it's a straight up adventure or 'walking simulator' but there's too much bad gunplay involved in Uncharted to consider it being one of those.

tresdoss

Post by tresdoss » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:58 am

Maryokutai wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:11 am
For that reason they can't really be compared to Uncharted, which are mediocre and linear shooting games with a bit of platforming thrown into the mix. Yes, what you see and hear in those games is (or was for its time) top notch but when watching a game is more fun than playing it I'm out. Unless it's a straight up adventure or 'walking simulator' but there's too much bad gunplay involved in Uncharted to consider it being one of those.
Pretty much the way I see it, the shooting in all the Uncharted games is pretty bad...

Uncharted 4 was way too long for its own good, some of the sequences were downright boring (character building maybe but boring nevertheless)

As for the "there'd be no TR reboot without Uncharted"?... Well let's just go full circle and say there'd probably be no Uncharted without the original Tomb Raider games.

I'd also agree that to be fair the two games series are actually pretty different to each other in reality though, something our very own Maryokutai has said before.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:35 am

Shooting and jumping mechanics aside Uncharted 2 did so much more for video games than just gameplay. I think it is the single biggest contributor in the last 10 years in how to write characters, do cinematics, frame set pieces, and have characters comment on their environments. There is a very clear distinction between 3rd person action games before Uncharted 2 and after.

Tomb Raider 2013, Dead Space 2, The Last of Us, DmC, etc. Even things as recent as the Spider-Man game coming out you look at bits of it and go "Oh, it's like Uncharted".

The only other game that is in this conversation was CoD4. I had never played a level in an FPS like the opening boat level before that game, and then every FPS took massive influence from that after.

tresdoss

Post by tresdoss » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:40 am

Most won't agree with this but Gears 2 did that for me way before Uncharted 2 released...

Horses for courses though ain't it.

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:43 am

tresdoss wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:40 am
Most won't agree with this but Gears 2 did that for me way before Uncharted 2 released...

Horses for courses though ain't it.
Nah Uncharted did all the stuff he mentioned way better. Gears 2 was just a bigger version of Gears 1.

Uncharted 2 was the first thing I played were set-pieces began to feel organic and the interpersonal stuff felt realistic. Gears 2 didn't have that but it did play a whole lot better.
🌚

tresdoss

Post by tresdoss » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:32 pm

Got to admit I can't remember a single set piece from Uncharted 2, I played the collection so they all mingle into one for me...

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:51 pm

I might have to switch to frame rate mode in this game. When you’re in a small area and there’s not a lot on screen even in ‘Richer visuals’ mode or whatever they call it it runs super smoothly, but then you exit in to one of the bigger areas and it’s like “AHHHH WHAT HAPPENED?”

I’m one of the least susceptible to frame rate video gamers you’ll ever find but it’s really jarring

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:56 pm

Tbh even on my PC I had the same problem. The open areas were incredibly demanding for some reason. Locked 30 was the best way is found.
🌚

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:59 pm

In the open snow area it wasn’t so bad. I would notice it here and there but it wasn’t too dramatic and sort of just happened randomly in passing. But now I’m in the forest area and whenever I turn the camera it feels like Lara’s neck is breaking

tresdoss

Post by tresdoss » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:35 pm

Yeah, in the Geothermal Valley I noticed it dropping the odd frame (playing in Enhanced Visuals mode), I've since changed to Native 4k and it seems to be handling things a lot better...

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:52 pm

I just messed about with the frame rate mode, and even though it runs wonderfully, you lose so much detail. The screen becomes really flat.

I want ta try frame rate mode in combat and see if that’s the trouble I’m having. I’m finding it very, very hard to hit anything first time in this playthrough. I just had a fight with 4 wolves and died twice because they’re just too quick for me

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:08 pm

See you guys know what it's like now. You've tasted the forbidden fruit.

You are inflicted with settingtwiddleitis.
🌚

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:36 pm

#Xboxmasterrace

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:44 am

FPS and Resolution talk, love it :D

MFGamers Twitter
“Nationalism is an infantile thing. It is the measles of mankind.” - Albert Einstein