Horizon Zero Dawn : spoilers !!!

Chat about anything you like, as long as it's games related.
maf-me-quick

Re: Horizon Zero Dawn : spoilers !!!

Post by maf-me-quick » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:56 am

I always liked the game, I just didn't think it was this super award winning thing. And I'm still not there either but the story really started to pick up Sylens enters and SPOILERS even though the whole thing is more or less Skynet I really like the things they did within that type of story. I thought the Hades and Helix were really weak and actually the guy I ended up hating the most was Ted Fargo. He not only doomed the world but then killed Apollo? What a great use of the audio log trope. I was sitting there like "You son of a bitch". I'm going to be honest I didn't really understand the end. I got that stick the ball with the stick and it can't raise evil army. More the Hollywood science lost me and I just went along with it.

The way the information is presented about the end of the world was great as well.

Also Alloy is great. Although I think nearly every other character in the game is boring and I really dislike all the costumes and skins everyone has I think Alloy and Sylens are great characters and good opposites of each other. Like Alloy is basically Elizabeth and has massive heart, but she also grew up as an outcast and hates injustice. She's basically Wonder Woman and voice acted really well.

If in the next game Alloy travels to a different land and culture and everyone where's different clothes that would be great because I seriously hate all the outfits in the game. I get it fits the aesthetic, and I think the art design through out is pretty baller. Particularly how they handle environment and the subtle shifts from one are to the next.

The music has to be called out for being good as well. It's not like the best soundtrack in the world, and apart from the main theme I wouldn't be able to hum any of the songs, but set against the story and cinematics it really helped land every big moment in the 2nd and 3rd acts. I can't remember it but I did notice it was great.

I'm not sure how I feel about the open world elements. Like, I don't know. The gameplay is fine. I get this is a VERY easy game but just rolling out the way of everything, freezing it, triple shot hard head arrow EVERYTHING seemed overly exploitable. Even enemies where it's like "Shock and Fire are most effective" it doesn't matter freezing is always the way to go. I'll be honest I don't think fighting the machines is all that fun because it's so simple and easy, and the only times it gets hard is when you're fighting multiple machines, and it's all very messy and everything is runnning over Alloy all the time and you never know what's happening there's just shit everywhere.

If it were harder and more engaging that might make it better but also if it was more intricate I might be turned off by it. Like I don't dislike the fighting but it really didn't do it for me either. And there's a lot of it.

The rope caster is baller. Serves extremely little purpose I found because Like I said Freezing everything is just as good, but it's a great idea that I wish had more use.

Everything I said about the gameplay apply to the open world to. To easy to be note worthy but if it was harder I think it would immediately fall in to the category of annoying.

Now this iPad is about to die and post

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:24 pm

Do you know the thing about Horizon? It feels like a great first game. All the concepts from a gameplay perspective are solid and only used in the most basic ways. Like you never use the rope caster to bring down a tree of something to help you get somewhere. All of these ideas have so much room for expansion and I think the second game will be where it's really at. I'm not trying to belittle it and say "It's a great prototype, or is amateurish" not at all. It's a very well put together and accomplished game. But I definitely see more room for creativity in the side quests and the way the world is used, and I think the fighting could be tighter.

Not to draw the comparison but this is why Breathof the Wild is so fucking good. It doesn't have as many tools as Horizon, but they are infinitely more applicable to the game that they're in and are far more open to creativity and usefulness.

Horizon definitely has certain things over BotW to be sure. Graphics, obviously, I mean wow. And it wins out in the sidequest department just by being standard where as BotW is very lacklustre. I don't know. Horizon is kind of the best version of this open world game that has existed for years at this point (Although I had more fun with older ones when they were more fresh even if not as advanced) but BotW revolutionises a lot of these concepts to a point where I prefer. It makes you think more instead of just follow the yellow diamond for 50 hours.

Also the story is better? Kind of. In a weird way both the most interesting parts of the story to both games is what happened before you got there.

Anyway, I do like this this game, I think this series has potential to be really special. Now this phone is about to die and post

bellow

Post by bellow » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:32 am

I'm surprised you're praising horizon for its open world. What's the point of an open world if there's next to no exploration. Populating the (rather samey) landscape with enemies every 50 yards turned the open world into just a huge combat corridor.

Sure, you could go in every direction, but only to fight/stealth or leg it thru enemies every 2 minutes.

Simply happening upon something interesting or magical was eliminated from this game, a concept honed by Bethesda in their RPGs over the years, and simply nailed by Nintendo in a single bound with BotW.
PSN: bellow
XBOX live: nebrad16

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:51 am

This is what i said though?

bellow

Post by bellow » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:10 am

Well, in the third paragraph of your last post you say the game is kind of the best open world that has existed for years. Unless I'm reading it wrong.

Not impossible :)
PSN: bellow
XBOX live: nebrad16

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:55 am

I didn't mean as in the literal best, more that it's taken the best parts of what this tried and true open world game has been over the years. There's no real mistakes in it, there's little of interest either. The actual open world ideas are standard but done really well.

It's the best version of what we already know tried and true. Zelda is genuinely new and all the better for it

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:23 pm

The latest trailer for The Frozen Wilds highlights some of the environments you will explore in this expansion to the world of Horizon Zero Dawn, including Banuk camps, frozen lakes, icy caves and more. Check it out below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPRYnxr18BM
"Make the Left Hate again"

Paolo Gerbaodo : Kings College London.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:27 am

Frozen Wilds Launch Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_XH9t2CeGI

Details on how to access the new region, recommended Level, quest-giver locations.

1. Load your latest save

You don’t need to start a brand-new game just to access Horizon Zero Dawn: The Frozen Wilds. The expansion content is available regardless of whether you’re on your very first playthrough or on your latest New Game+.

2. Check your level

We tuned Horizon Zero Dawn: The Frozen Wilds for players with an experience level of 30 or higher. While it’s possible to access the expansion content if your level is below this threshold, you may find that Aloy’s lack of skills and/or equipment becomes too great a challenge. If that’s the case, try completing a few quests in the base game until you’ve sufficiently leveled up.

3. Complete the quest “A Seeker at the Gates”

Horizon Zero Dawn: The Frozen Wilds adds a whole new region known as The Cut, which becomes accessible after you’ve completed the quest A Seeker at the Gates. If you’re at level 30 you most likely already completed this quest, but if you’re not sure you can check its completion status in the Quests menu.

4. Find a quest-giver

To receive directions to the new region known as The Cut, speak with one of the three quest-givers added to the base game region. These quest-givers appear with a blue quest start marker over their head. They’re located in the following areas:

Rhavid, a Carja nobleman with information and speculation about the Banuk borderlands, can be found outside Meridian.

Ohtur, who knows how to get to The Cut, can be found inside the Carja border fort known as Daytower.

Yariki, a Banuk woman with a dire warning about the dangers found in the borderlands, can be found north of the Grave Hoard.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:48 pm

The promotional art got me excited for the DLC, watching it in action is doing the opposite. Have to see what the reviews are like.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:20 pm

Guerrilla celebrates tomorrow’s Horizon Zero Dawn: Complete Edition release with new trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z1AGyzZbLM

Plus, studio shares insight on what improvements it’s made since game’s release in February

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2017/12 ... w-trailer/