Video Games +

Chat about anything you like, as long as it's games related.
maf-me-quick

Re: Video Games +

Post by maf-me-quick » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:16 am

I'm considering doing Platinum run's on all the Dark Souls games. But I also think that's insane. I don't know.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:21 am

No now I've typed it out loud I'm thinking about it more and it's too hard

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:40 am

You could go for the Crash Bandicoot plat if you want even more of a challenge.
Punished Dwarf: A dwarf who must plat Devil May Cry 2

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:54 pm

Will be at Gamescom tomorrow, anything you want me to check out?

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:12 pm

Shenmoo

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:42 pm

Maryokutai wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:54 pm
Will be at Gamescom tomorrow, anything you want me to check out?
Shenmue 3, MVCI, Dragonball FighterZ, Wolfeinstein 2, The Evil Within 2 and Mario Odyssey if you get time 8)
MFGamers Twitter
“Nationalism is an infantile thing. It is the measles of mankind.” - Albert Einstein

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:17 am

So did no one buy Agents of Mayhem? The reviews are looking decidedly average. I was semi interested because I liked Saints Row 3 and 4 but this completely flew under my radar.

Shadowman

Post by Shadowman » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:30 am

maf-me-quick wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:17 am
So did no one buy Agents of Mayhem? The reviews are looking decidedly average. I was semi interested because I liked Saints Row 3 and 4 but this completely flew under my radar.
Flopped sales wise by the looks of it. Crash remasters beat it to the top of the charts, and Crash has been out for several weeks now. I wasn't really all that interested in it, it seems like the perfect "buy cheap on sale" kind of game. There's just too much good stuff released right now to focus on so-so stuff like that.

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:22 pm

maf-me-quick wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:17 am
Nah, looked shite, I'll wait for it to be £10-odd on Steam at Xmas then give it a go.
MFGamers Twitter
“Nationalism is an infantile thing. It is the measles of mankind.” - Albert Einstein

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:32 pm

I bought Agents of Mayhem. Wanted something dumb for my two weeks off and it's okay so far, but it got somehow stuck in 2012 as far as its graphics and performance are concerned.

Anyway, Gamescom. No idea where Bethesda was hiding but I found neither Wolfenstein nor Evil Within. Have to check if they were even there, though I spotted someone with a fake Evil Within tattoo...

Got around to playing Mario Odyssey which I suppose I don't have to say much about. Played the Mexican village level, found some cool secrets (some of which were only accessible by 'cap'turing an enemy) and unfortunately that's all I could do because people were lining up like crazy. It looked really great on TV (couldn't check out Handheld mode), it was moderately challenging (died once because I didn't notice a Bullet Bill sneaking up) but not Shadowman-levels of hardcore but I expect this to be an early level. To nobody's surprise really, this will be good.

Marvel Infinite and Dragonball I also managed to play. Both looked better than on videos, meaning Marvel looks kinda decent and Dragonball looks absolutely phenomenal. I played Piccolo, 18 and Frieza in that order (shame on everyone who wouldn't) and managed to beat up my co-player pretty bad because he had absolutely no clue while I had almost as little clues but at least found out how to do Super Moves. Threw a fancy energy ball with 18 on top of his fat Boo belly and finished with a fancy background K.O. Unfortunately it seems rather unfathomable so far to me but it looks so good that I hope I'll be motivated to get into it properly. Everyone here has played the Marvel demo probably so nothing new to say here. Picked Dr. Strange and Gamora – Strange has the same moveset albeit with different inputs (Bolts of Balzakh for example is now a fireball motion) but he looks cool in motion and his special effects are infinitely (pun intended) better than in UMvC3. Gamora is speedy and flash but without a proper moveset to look at it was just random stuff all over the place from my side.

I also played Mario & Rabbids which was really fun but also only a tutorial level so rather basic. but you can already see the tactical possibilities and it looks absolutely phenomenal in Handheld mode. Still good on TV but the framerate was bit choppy there.

One of my personal most wanteds is Metroid Samus Returns which I managed to play past the point I was allowed because nobody noticed (honestly, everyone playing there was god awful at every game). The new counter move works really well and doesn't feel intrusive at all while visually it looks superb and the 3D effect is top notch. You're on a 2D-plan of course but depending on the background you can really see the planet surface stretching out into the horizon. Really, really cool. Also seemed to run at 60fps if I'm not mistaken which is always a good thing.

Raiders of the Broken Planet continued its stride of being unplayable at Gamescom. Last year it was so ridiculously difficult that everyone died every ten seconds while this year they had it set up like a MP-game but the consoles couldn't connect to each other. Bravo.

Super Lucky's Tale (don't ask why I tried) turned out to be a really cute, old-school platformer à la Spyro. Colourful, rock-solid controls and a nice mix of ideas already: at one point you have to carry a boulder and can't jump while avoiding traps in a dungeon for example. Curiously the framerate is a bit choppy despite the simple looks but considering how cheap you can pre-order this already it might be worth a try later this year.

Biomutant, which was announced only recently, is an open world RPG with DMC-esque combat (think ariel juggles and gunshots), a morality system and a very unique atmosphere that somehow sits comfortably between eerie, funny and cute. The character- and monster designs are absolutely wonderful in a way that reminded me a bit of Zeno Clash, despite not being quite as bizarre. Still it's a far cry from your typical fantasy RPG and if it can keep the momentum it had during the demo this will be a fine little game. Hopefully on console, too, they only showed a very stunning PC build.

Battlechasers was also a game I was really looking forward to and it did not disappoint. Exploration is mostly secret-finding and trap-avoiding while combat is highly tactical and needs you to stack debuffs and status ailments which in turn will make certain attacks stronger. You can beat most normal enemies by just hitting them with normal attacks but then every encounter will take quite a bit to conclude, so it encourages you to go all out for every battle. Visually it's as good in motion as on screens and the classic fantasy design with big monsters, big swords and big bo... spells is rather easy on the eyes. Played it on Switch and PC. Basically the same thing but Switch had some minor performance issues and some animation-skipping during battles. Hopefully they'll get rid of that before release.

Assassin's Creed Origin's for al its marketing focusing on this being a total overhaul and a new kind of AC, feels totally like an AC. There are some changes to the controls as the shoulder buttons are now used for combat in good old Demon'S Souls style and the protagonist now runs without having to hold a shoulder button, but it mostly feels like you remember it so I suppose the mission design will make or break it. There were only about half a dozen enemies in the demo so I had little opportunities to try out the new combat but I can say that visually it's a blast. Character models are still a bit 'meh' all around which has always been a problem with AC but the environments are just beautiful. Unfortunately I have no idea what system it was running on, but I suppose it was either a PC or an Xbox X because I doubt it was a standard One.

I also played the new Life is Strange which was a game I really didn't want to play at a convention like this but you get free bags if you do, soo...
...I went in and skipped everything and didn't watch the trailer in the end. Tada. Noticed some slightly better facial animations and Ashley Burch's absence as a VO for Chloe wasn't really a problem IMO. But yeah, not much to say. It has a nice title screen, just like the first one.

Sonic Forces was there as well. No idea what to make of it honestly. Modern Sonic feels like Generations with a really unwelcome amount of chatter from Sonic's shitty friends while running around. Classic Sonic was only a (cool) boss fight and the Avatar stage was garbage. So far, so expected.

There also was a little top-down 2D game from Techland called, I think, God's Trigger. It's a total Hotline Miami rip-off but it works just as well so if you liked the 'original' this might be a nice little game for some people. They also had a fantastic booth themed like a bar and offered you God's Trigger branded beer (which I didn't drink, I don't like beer).

Shenmue III, unfortunately, I didn't see at all. We weren't able t get an appointment in the business area on such short notice and they didn't show anything on the show floor. They had a 'meet & greet' with Yu Suzuki about an hour ago but I was long gone then.As far as I heard they only showed the recent teaser there though.

Ok, I think that's all.

tl;dr: my feet hurt and it was really crowded. And smelly. And I saw Angela Merkel. She's tiny.

PS: didn't re-read this, so just ignore all the typos.
Last edited by Maryokutai on Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:38 pm

They don't call her Smelly Merkel for nothing

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:41 pm

That sounds crazy. I never been to an expo. Glad to hear Oddessy is shaping up nicely because that's the only game ai'm not convinced on yet

bellow

Post by bellow » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:29 pm

Nice write up, that. Plus some good reviews on three games that interest me.

I've also heard good things about the switch render of Skyrim, especially in handheld mode. I was never gonna get that, but the idea of it has started to get to me. Two hander/mage, perhaps. :)
Is it on the Switch?

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:01 pm

Nice impressions @mary, cheers for that :)

Even more hyped for AC:O, DBFZ and MVCI now :D
MFGamers Twitter

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:04 pm

Skyrim was one of the first games I noticed on Tuesday but I thought 'go try some new games first' and after that I totally forgot about it.

I've read similar things though. Seems to be a better version of the original PS360 game but obviously not on par with the remaster.