Video Games +

Chat about anything you like, as long as it's games related.
Blakey

Re: Video Games +

Post by Blakey » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:05 pm

Really? :?
MFGamers Twitter
“Nationalism is an infantile thing. It is the measles of mankind.” - Albert Einstein

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:11 pm

It is apparently true. I was watching a YT vid where a guy who used to work on Spider-Man games was commenting on the new Spider-Man game and said you put a building in your game you got to pay the license fee

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:05 am

I know over the past 5 years or so there's been a trend, primarily in smaller games, to do environmental story telling instead of exposition dumps. And I think it's really cool. It's much better than 10 minutes of set-up that we've seen a million times before just to get to a tutorial. I like games that are like "Ok, go".

Having said that I find a lot of games that do that also lean heavy on obfuscating the story altogether, even though there definitely is one. Which makes plot reveals cool when you stumble upon them, but most of the time just cause bewilderment because I never know what's going on anyway. It tends to make things more unclear than actually serve it's purpose.

But I think it definitely works better and is very suited to games because they are audience driven and most stories in games are throw away anyway. But I don't think it can only be cool if you try hide what it is. Like Doom was excellent at that. It wasn't trying to hide the story, it just didn't have time to tell it. Especially when you already know.

Imagine a Halo game that started with Master Cheif already in a enemy spaceship. Game starts, he's in the spaceship. First thing you see is him fall from above and hit the deck, he looks up, the first thing you hear is "John, kill them all" camera goes behind the visor and there are bad guys in front of you and boom you just go. The rest can be filled in on the fly.

It's the balance of audience sophistication and attention span. Because we've seen it all before it's hard to sit there and listen to the same shit over and over, but at the same time you can't have zero context because things are boring when they have no meaning. But I think something as small as "Kill them all", particularly in a video game is all you need in certain situations.

It's expediency. I need things to get going and hit what it's about immediately. If a YT video doesn't do thing on the title within 15 seconds I usually click to the next thing, if the opening credits and title in a movie are longer than a minute I get bored (Also late title cards are underrated) I want games to do this too. Not just be in control and doing something in 3 seconds because I need a reason, but also I don't need too much of a reason like a 20 minute opening routing. All I need is "Kill them all" or "You need to find it" or "Get out of there now" as the opening line of dialogue and boom got it go,

Know what I mean?

One-armed dwarf
Location: L̜͙̮̖̘͇͌̇o̤̞̭͕͗̿̄ͭͩ̄̉n̝̜̬̩͢d҉͖̥̣̙̹͚̭ơ̾͑̿̽̅n̫̜̘͉̰͍̄ͥ̍̾̇̽

Post by One-armed dwarf » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:55 am

Apparently Hellblade is good.

I forgot this was a thing.

I wonder if there will be a Purgatory Knife next.

Or Limbo Dagger.
🌚

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:32 am

It also deletes your save if you die too often which is the kind of wacky design you'd expect form the Nier guy, not from Ninja Theory.

Hopefully someone decides to press it on a bunch of discs soon. I'd love to play it but won't pay that much for a download.

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:04 pm

This is cool

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:28 pm

Maryokutai wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:32 am
It also deletes your save if you die too often which is the kind of wacky design you'd expect form the Nier guy, not from Ninja Theory.

Hopefully someone decides to press it on a bunch of discs soon. I'd love to play it but won't pay that much for a download.
Apparently its a bluff (like Eternal Darkness etc.):
https://www.pcgamesn.com/hellblade-sen ... eath-bluff
Yes, the game promises you that the rot will increase with every death, eventually killing Senua permanently. It just, well, doesn’t. The rot will grow to a certain point - which we think is governed by how far through the game you are - and then stop. In fact, this happens fairly quickly after a couple of deaths. Details, and fifty of our own deaths, in the video above.
MFGamers Twitter
“Nationalism is an infantile thing. It is the measles of mankind.” - Albert Einstein

Shadowman

Post by Shadowman » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:08 pm

Capcom actually made a game where you lose your entire save game if you die. It was called Steel Battalion. It was their incredibly expensive mech game (the one that cost £150 with the huge controller). If your mech was destroyed and you didn't eject in time then you die and its game over, back to mission 1 with you. Oh, also if you lose your mech but don't have enough points to buy a new mech then its game over as well, bye bye save file! And did I mention that its pretty hard?

Its also an amazing game that very few probably ever played, really glad I got my copy on release, one of the best experiences I had that generation.

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:01 am

Blakey wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:28 pm
Maryokutai wrote:

It's a shame stuff like that just doesn't work anymore in this day and age with everything getting dissected minutes after release.

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:29 pm

Ninja Theory should totally do a game with the Nier guy.

Everyone should do a game with the Nier guy.
🌚

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:30 pm

I admire Yoko Taro and he has a unique way of thinking but think NieR is very overrated myself.
Maryokutai wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:01 am
Blakey wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:28 pm
Maryokutai wrote:

It's a shame stuff like that just doesn't work anymore in this day and age with everything getting dissected minutes after release.
Yeah very true :(
MFGamers Twitter

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:36 pm

Nier is beautiful

You don't connect with the characters the same way watching it on YouTube
🌚

Shadowman

Post by Shadowman » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:37 pm

I remember back when Metal Gear Solid 2 launched, Kojima somehow managed to keep the whole Raiden thing hidden until the game launched. Definitely wouldn't be able to do that these days...

Blakey

Post by Blakey » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:05 pm

One-armed dwarf wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:36 pm
You don't connect with the characters the same way watching it on YouTube
I didn't, played it on Steam, finished all the key routes... :D
MFGamers Twitter

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:41 am

Talking about the first game, Nier. Not Automata.
🌚