Video Games +

Chat about anything you like, as long as it's games related.
DifferentClass

Re: Video Games +

Post by DifferentClass » Thu May 24, 2018 8:09 pm

The film and music awards that are considered prestigious are full of their own kinds of cheapness, you just have to scratch the surface a bit. But it is just right there, up front in games. I often feel like the Game Awards are used to promote upcoming games.

I don't know why they even bother even trying to do the Oscars thing with games. Video games aren't showbusiness so it's actually kinda strange they try to be part of it. I know it's also entertainment and they sometimes have performances in them but games are mostly technical, and even technical awards on the Oscars don't get televised. It's just about the stars, and that's fair enough in a way because they are the face of these projects and are used to sell it.

Sly Reflex

Post by Sly Reflex » Thu May 24, 2018 10:03 pm

Smash that like button!

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Thu May 24, 2018 10:09 pm

No

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Fri May 25, 2018 8:20 am

🌚

maf-me-quick

Post by maf-me-quick » Fri May 25, 2018 8:47 am

Aww, man :(

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Fri May 25, 2018 9:50 am

If you have weird health issues like blood in your poo or unexplained cramps don't neglect that shit.

Literally.
🌚

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Fri May 25, 2018 12:26 pm

Listening to the beastcast talk about that Android game thing and the complaints maf had about that depressed norse myth thing it seems like there's a real problem of maturity in game writing. Like a lot of this stuff is still sort of just college graduate fumblings. Or maybe the tech overheard makes it really difficult to draft a good script for a game (you can't just edit a .txt over and over when you have to commit to motion capture sessions and budget for voice actors)

Wonder if the only way to solve a problem like that is bring in screenwriters from TV or something. Not everyone is Amy Henning. Not everyone is as credible and experienced as her.
🌚

DifferentClass

Post by DifferentClass » Fri May 25, 2018 2:33 pm

I think sometimes expectations are too high. Like, I've seen the bits people are getting snarky about in Detroit, and they're not wrong, but the same criticisms can be levelled at Blade Runner 2049 where we are supposed to believe Ryan Gosling is a victim of racism. I guess in Blade Runner it isn't the main theme like it is in Detroit but it's there as well. I'm not dunking on Blade Runner 2049, I love it, but some of the ways the racism allegory is played is a bit... y'know.

I think David Cage does a lot of the writing on his own so I wonder if a US TV style writing room style approach would work better for these kinds of games. I get the feeling Bioware and Telltale games have that and at the very least they don't fall into as many Cage-isms.

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Fri May 25, 2018 2:43 pm

They don't go that heavy with allegory on Bladerunner though. In fact I'd say none of it is allegory. It's just a reflection on what makes a human. Which I guess is what the Phil Dick book is but I've never read it.

In Detroit the robots sit in the back of the bus and co-opt MLK. They're trying to do a thing there.
🌚

DifferentClass

Post by DifferentClass » Fri May 25, 2018 2:53 pm

I was close to shrieking with laughter with the bus bit I admit.

sleepery jeem

Post by sleepery jeem » Mon May 28, 2018 5:52 am

One-armed dwarf wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 8:20 am
Totalbiscuit has died
https://twitter.com/GennaBain/status/999785407087808512

He was 33.

Ex Bioware Dev Mocks Passing of YouTuber TotalBiscuit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Biom8iUnCWI
Those deceived by religious extremism shall be assisted by resettlement and re-education.

Chinese UN Mission.

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Mon May 28, 2018 6:58 am

That's really disgusting. I mean I get that people tend to overlook someone's flaws after their death for obvious reason but actually writing out that you're happy someone died is just pathetic.

DifferentClass

Post by DifferentClass » Mon May 28, 2018 5:46 pm

I'm surprised there isn't more of this sort of thing actually as he used his platform to say some unforgivable things. I know I've not paid attention to him since around 2013 because of how he behaved and contributed to the more shameful parts of game culture. And having people cherry-pick the kinds of impact he had has been really disingenuous to me.

One-armed dwarf

Post by One-armed dwarf » Mon May 28, 2018 5:54 pm

He's a complicated guy and yes he threw his lot in with GamerGate when that started to kick off. That's not really a part of his legacy that he or anyone else can take back and as a public figure he had power that most did not. He didn't use it responsibly. Yet at the same time in his later years it did seem he grew past that and probably regretted it (comparing his comments on LGBT three years ago to 'today').

But anyone who's had TB's fanbase sicced on them is probably not going to forgive or forget. Nor should anyone expect them to. But unless I'm way out of the loop that was TB 2015 and it doesn't stop it from being a desperately sad thing that he died so young

I'm thinking also with his death and Ryan Davis a few years back it kind of makes you think a bit on the 'gamer' lifestyle and life expectancy. Like this shit ain't good for us if you let it go too far.

I'm not saying that gaming is the cause or anything, but it's unusual to see commentators in the industry that are super healthy I feel like. I dunno, I can only think of Drew Scanlon on Giantbomb as a counter-argument.
🌚

Maryokutai

Post by Maryokutai » Tue May 29, 2018 7:04 am

One-armed dwarf wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 5:54 pm
I'm thinking also with his death and Ryan Davis a few years back it kind of makes you think a bit on the 'gamer' lifestyle and life expectancy. Like this shit ain't good for us if you let it go too far.

I'm not saying that gaming is the cause or anything, but it's unusual to see commentators in the industry that are super healthy I feel like. I dunno, I can only think of Drew Scanlon on Giantbomb as a counter-argument.
It's a pastime that demands you to sit down, mostly. So just like any other hobby like that you probably should actively try to get some exercise at least a few times per week. Not sure how that would have influenced a case of cancer but it's probably a good habit anyway. Even if you do it for the wrong reasons like those attention-seeking cleavage girls on Twitch.